The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vending Business

Dreamer99

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2010
Just wanted to know is anybody on here in, or have an experience vending. I wanted to start off with some cheap vending machines to test the waters. I would start with probably a vend master 3000 with 3 candy slots, do you think this business can be scalable, or even bring in a good monthly cash flow after a while?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
It's a nice little passive income business. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Vendstar 3000's. They're all plastic and way overpriced for the low quality they are. See if you can get some triple heads off of Craigslist (get metal machines like 1-800 vending, Routepro, Vendmaster, etc). You will be looking at about $50-$100 per triple head. The average gross income per head is $7 per month. Yes, only $7 gross is the average, so a triple in an average location will bring in $21 gross per month. I've had locations do less and locations do much more. If you get a quality machine and get good locations, it can make some decent cash on the side. Feel free to PM me about this subject as I have been working in the business for several years. Best of luck.

Dreamer99

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the fast and helpful response, so now alittle about myself I am 18 years old now going into college. I have little capital to start with and this is why I wanted to start with vending for a little money on the side. The other question I had was would I be able to increase the number of vending machines I own over time and scale up? For example is 1k-2k per month possible, or realistic in the vending machine business, and mind keep in mind I will be a full time student and probably working a job on the side.

Thanks again -Dreamer99

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for the fast and helpful response, so now alittle about myself I am 18 years old now going into college. I have little capital to start with and this is why I wanted to start with vending for a little money on the side. The other question I had was would I be able to increase the number of vending machines I own over time and scale up? For example is 1k-2k per month possible, or realistic in the vending machine business, and mind keep in mind I will be a full time student and probably working a job on the side.

Thanks again -Dreamer99

I have machines at 68 locations. I have some very good locations too. It is possible to make money, but it is still S-Quadrant "you own a job". Doing this will not be fastlane. There is not enough margin in it to leverage employee(s). If you want to get into it, use the proceeds as seed money for your fastlane business.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
It's a nice little passive income business. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Vendstar 3000's. They're all plastic and way overpriced for the low quality they are. See if you can get some triple heads off of Craigslist (get metal machines like 1-800 vending, Routepro, Vendmaster, etc). You will be looking at about $50-$100 per triple head. The average gross income per head is $7 per month. Yes, only $7 gross is the average, so a triple in an average location will bring in $21 gross per month. I've had locations do less and locations do much more. If you get a quality machine and get good locations, it can make some decent cash on the side. Feel free to PM me about this subject as I have been working in the business for several years. Best of luck.

Just out of pure curiosity (not getting into the vending business), how much does a decent craigslist machine cost and how is the maintenance on the things? Only because I see the vending machine guys at my school working on the machines all the time and it would seem like a small pain to keep running out and fixing them :D

Dreamer99

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2010
--

I have machines at 68 locations. I have some very good locations too. It is possible to make money, but it is still S-Quadrant "you own a job". Doing this will not be fastlane. There is not enough margin in it to leverage employee(s). If you want to get into it, use the proceeds as seed money for your fastlane business.

How much work is it? Full time job or weekend job? Like I said I will be attending college full time.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
From what I've seen with the vending machines at work. They come out about 2-3 times a week to fill them. I'm not in the vending business but I've also been interested just to generate some passive income while I'm in college.

Mike39: Depends on the machines you get and the condition. I hardly ever see machines needing to be fixed, the machines at your school might get abuse some so that may be why you see them being fixed all the time. Price wise..I've seen from $200-$1,000. Usually around $300-$500.

DanCuster

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 12, 2012
NJ
I have always wanted to get into Vending machines but I heard it is a very shady business. Is this true?

D

DeletedUser2

its not a shady biz.

there are shady people in every biz.

I had vending machines at my apartment complexes, they rocked.

I did read and review this book for the author, a bunch of years ago, (my vending uncle)

the best piece out of all of it.

the machines don't matter. its the locations.

he would test a location using a cardboard box spray painted black with some glitter on it, and a tub with a hole cut into it on the top, as a "honor box"

said it cost less than a buck to make. he would put them at "sample" locations, and if came back, there was sales, and no theft. he would arrange to spend money on a machine for the site.

if theft. he took it out, and said no thanks.

Great way to test markets.

and bottom line, its a SERVICE business. remember that.
good luck

Dreamer99

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2010
Thank you all for your responses, they've all helped me tremendously. Ive decided im going to try out the vending industry first starting with apartment buildings; more specifically the apartment I will be staying at while I go to college in the city. If I do succeed in my apartment building I can probably branch out to surrounding apartment buildings, that way I will be close by to check on all of them/ restock them if needed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I found this great article on vending machines, worth a read:

Really? You "found" the article or are you simply promoting the website? Because right now, you're fooling absolutely no one.

Jeremy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 25, 2011
Really? You "found" the article or are you simply promoting the website? Because right now, you're fooling absolutely no one.

Give a brother a break! It's a mere COINCIDENCE that his first three posts are all links with keyword focused anchor text to the same website.....LOL!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I'd think developing a vending machine business oppty for others to buy into would be a good idea and fast lane. Saw a commercial on exactly that with DVD vending jumping on the success of Red Box. There's a huge fast lane for all the unemployed to buy themselves a turnkey job like that. Like in the gold rush, sell them the shovels and let them prospect.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Vending candy machines are a great way to make some money. Like any business, they require investment and extra work before you can get more out of it. However, vending machines are known to be really great businesses. Abatix.com has a vending machine supply inventory program that will greatly help vending businesses. The program covers system selection and configuration, program details, delivery and installation, supplies to inventory management. Here's a link to the program information: [http://www.abatix.com/Default.aspx?...stomer/abatix/customerpages/asap_vending.htm]

Spam?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.