The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using affiliate marketing as prep for my fastlane business

Marketing, social media, advertising

mcjon77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Sep 5, 2011
Hi guys,

I am a web application developer who plans on developing and marketing some software as my fastlane business. I have an idea on how I can develop my marketing channels BEFORE my product is ready to launch.

There are several companies in my general market that have affiliate programs, and I am considering promoting their products as a way to learn the intricacies of marketing in this area, as well as getting an idea of what my customers want. So far I see several benefits to this method:
1) I can start selling NOW. If I wait until my product is developed, will be be 6-9 months down the line before my product is ready to be sold.

2) I will learn how to sell in this market space. In effect, I will make a lot of my marketing mistakes earlier than I if I wait until my product is ready.

3) I will learn if my product is even needed and what is most important BEFORE spending too much time developing it. In effect, it lowers the likelihood of me winding up like other developers who spend 6 months to a year developing a product that they find no one really wants. I can also tailor my product by finding out what my customers like and DON'T like about my competitor's product.

4) I will have ready made marketing channels from DAY 1 of my launch. I am planning on setting up my marketing so that I can switch all of the affiliate codes and references to their products into references and links to my products in a matter of minutes. That means that on launch day, all of the traffic that I developed for the affiliate products gets directed to my product.

5) Customers would also make good leads for my freelance programming business. Until my own software takes off, I am supplementing my income through freelance programming. The same people who would buy my affiliates' products would also be people interested in hiring me for my programming services.

The biggest downside I see is that it may take me a little longer to develop my product since I am spending some of my time marketing someone else's product that I could be spending working on my own. However, my estimate is that it should only add 2-3 months at most, maybe nothing. Either way, the knowledge of the market and the development of mature marketing channels from day one of launch seems to outweigh the costs. For example, lets say that the product would have taken me 6 months to develop and now takes me 8. Even though I am starting 2 months later, I am starting 8 months ahead in terms of market knowledge and traffic generating sites.

I know that being an affiliate is not considered a fastlane business, but I also see how I can use it as a tool to prepare for the launch of my fastlane business. What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
Do what you gotta do..

I'm using it as prep for a fastlane business too. And being an affiliate within the particular niche I'm in has given me and idea of a product I want to create FOR affiliates in my niche. Because right now I've got a great strategy for increasing conversions and its with a special code. If I can just package the code or offer it to use on a subscription basis I could profit from it. But theres a LOT I have to figure out before I can get started.

MediaMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2011
I've used affiliate marketing as prep for my fastlane as well. The marketing skills you gain from affiliate marketing is very valuable, and they can be applied to your fastlane business. Also, affiliate marketing has helped me build capital for my fastlane business. I say go for it, and my suggestion is to build an e-mail list, build a relationship with the list, then launch your product through the list. In affiliate marketing, the money is in the list.

Davidpeterson

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 10, 2011
Affiliate marketing has seen a lot of benefits. Marketing banners to add to their website is not distracted. Just started a new in the field of network interviews, she did not find any adverse reaction to her Web site banner ads. The user has a unique ability, from a site, they have regular visits to shops gratitude.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.