The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Upset with myself

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I am very upset at myself. I broke a cardinal rule of business and trusted a stranger. I have been trying to get a website build for the last 2 yrs. I finally found a web designer who I thought was going to work out ( 2 previous ones did not, another story for another time ) I found this guy through a 3rd party company. Everything was going smooth. He had great input and we had good communication. Toward the end of the building he asked if I would release the money to him since he was almost finished and I said sure. I know giant screw up. After the money was release he pretty much stopped working on the project. There is nothing the 3rd party company can do and I want to take this guy to small claims court but all I have is his email address and name. I am working on getting more info on him. In the mean time I think I am just going to try and sell the site to somebody who can see my vision. I just don’t think I have the drive to work on this project anymore since it has taken yrs to even get it this far. I wanted to know if anybody had any ideas on what I can do to try and get back my money from this jerk or should I just eat the loss and take it as a business lesson. It was 250.00 which might not be a lot of money, but to my family it is. Also if anybody wants to look over the site almost completed its www.proneeded.com, which I think is a good name for many uses and if you know anybody interested let me know. Thanks for letting me chew you ear. I am working on some new projects as I am trying not to let this set me back on being successful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
How did you pay?
If it was using paypal you can open a dispute or if it was using a CC you can start a chargeback...
I see it's a drupal site, what's left to do on the site?

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I payed with a credit card and it's already too late to open a dispute. The site is almost done. I just needed some cleaning up and also need to make paypal work on it so people could pay for membership. I also need to have a few things tweeked and then needed to test the site. The designer walked away because I left him good feedback and he got a better paying job and I'm not sure he had the ability to finish the site.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
What exactly is left to be done?

I cannot really promise anything, but I may be able to put in a few hours a night to help see it through. I don't promise it, because idk how 'scary' the code is, and for 250$ it could not be worth the effort on my part (for free).

Also I'd do backend work. I can do frontend stuff but my creative ability + ability to create graphics is about 0. If you have the graphics, and a design to show, I can definitely make that.

Again, it partly depends on really how much work needs to be done. You make it sound like it's not much though, so I would be willing to lend a hand.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Thanks Icy. When you go to the site and click on register now under contractors get registered or employees get registered it needs to be cleaning up. I see a warning problem. I also wanted some pull down features for the forms. There was also going to be a search tab where members can search for jobs. I think it is too much to ask for free, but I do thank you for the kind offer.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Hm.. After looking over it a bit, I really fear this is going to be a lot more work than what I was hoping for.

Just some of the things I see when going around logged in really 'scare' me. If the previous guy was too lazy to handle some of this stuff, I can't imagine the code backing it up. :S

I definitely wouldn't feel right, just implementing what you asked for, and leaving some of this stuff out in the open.

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK
Why quit when so little is left? You can always quit and give up.So why do it now?

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
How much overall did you put into this?

- Time (rough guess of actual hours over 2 years)?
- $$$ (250 + ...?)
- What is the site written in ? PHP/HTML or other?
- What database are you using with the site?

Before you give up, you need to read the story in Think & Grow Rich about Desire (Chapter 1) where Darby and his Uncle stopped 3 feet from Gold. Don't make the mistake Darby made by giving up.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Just to add to JonLeeHackers post, try to find a programmer who does projects on their own. If they only have examples made for clients then chances are they aren't very good.

This is one thing I learned in college. There were juniors\seniors, atleast at my college, that seemed to know nothing. Then there are programmers on forums I go to that never went to school for it, and are ridiculously good at it. Find people that actually enjoy programming, and don't treat it as just a job.

Also, it may be cheap to get a quick mock up made, but once you need to start scaling don't expect very cheap work. I know many who change 50-70$ an hour. Good code is worth it once you see the project has potential. It will make anyone who has to work with it not have to completely rewrite entire sections to make a little change.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
How much overall did you put into this?

- Time (rough guess of actual hours over 2 years)?
- $$$ (250 + ...?)
- What is the site written in ? PHP/HTML or other?
- What database are you using with the site?

Before you give up, you need to read the story in Think & Grow Rich about Desire (Chapter 1) where Darby and his Uncle stopped 3 feet from Gold. Don't make the mistake Darby made by giving up.

I would say over the 2 yrs I have put in countless hrs on this project. Sorry for sounding ignorent but I don't know what the site is written in or the database used. I really hate giving up but I can't put more money into this, i'm already out 250.00 and got almost nothing in return. It's hard to keep going when this is taking soooo long. I was very excited in the beginning and I have had nothing but let down and let down with it since. There is a point when you have to decide to walk away.

nipsid

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 6, 2008
Phoenix
What were you going to do to market the site when it was finished? Was it for local jobs like painting houses or internet jobs?

Sorry for sounding ignorent but I don't know what the site is written in or the database used.
Its drupal.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
2 years? It's a lot of time for a site like this.
One guy could do it in a month full time. Really sorry for what's happening to you.
Don't give up...

minamo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 11, 2010
Dont be pissed on yourself... get over it, do your thing, and dont give up.

Otherwise you wasted those 2 years....

Try networking with people with similar sites, maybe then can help you out.

If all else fails i am willing to help you out for a soft price.

Good luck.

Henk.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Rocksolid,

Unfortunatley I cannot help you with the website programming.

Looking from an outsider point of view on your story , I can't help but think that quitting now would be a pitty.

If a project you are building lasts two years - it indicates that you believe in the idea enough to keep it alive.
Dont let it die for the wrong reasons.

Do you still believe in the idea?

Everyone makes mistakes - I would definitley try to think about it as a business lesson.

Have you made some kind of plan for the project?
If so, assuming you get over the programming issue, whats next?

If you would like to PM me/ post some more information about yourself and your plans, I would be happy to help you find solutions.

If you still believe in the project, and have a solid plan to back it up - the programming issue can be overcome.

PS - Thanks for the link Jonleehacker! Great info.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
ah..... I just don't know anymore. The whole experiance has sucked the excitment out of me and all that is left is disappointment. The idea behind the website was for local use and it was amied at people who needed household chores done. Wokers would join the site and then bid on jobs and then the person in need of the job would pick who they wanted. Kind of like Rent a coder but for household chorse. I was going to market through local magazines, bus stop flyers, word of mouth. I wish I had the patients to learn Drupal so I can fix the site myself. Maybe I will try and learn it as long as my ADD does not get in the way :) If an offer comes along for the site then I will also consider it. Thank you everybody for your encouraging words and help, you guys and gals rock. Any thoughts on the site?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
RockSolid,

I'm going to give you some "tough love" here. I'm sorry this has happened to you, but welcome to the world of business. This is a very small wall you have hit. If you can't make it around something like this, then you might as well throw in the towel and forget the dream of having anything but a job.

Every business - EVERY business will meet challenges. BIG challenges. Challenges with LOTS OF ZERO's. As an entrepreneur, you have to be able to solve problems, make decisions, and move forward.

Hire someone else to finish the site..... learn from your mistake (don't pre-pay) and focus on the big picture... how are you going to market the thing, etc.

I understand wanting to quit. Really, I do. It is easy to get down if something doesn't go your way. This has happened to me before. It is funny, though... It seems like these walls almost always come right before a big breakthrough or period of growth. If you can push through that, then you will make it where your competition will not.

Your loss of "spark" is due, IMO, to focusing on this day-to-day stuff, instead of the big picture. Yes, the day-to-day stuff still needs to get done, but don't let that portion occupy your mind so much. The $ you lost is gone, but the time you have spent is not. What have you learned in the last two years? How far along are you?

You can still do it, you just need to adjust the way you view "mistake" and "failure."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wish I had the patients to learn Drupal so I can fix the site myself. Maybe I will try and learn it as long as my ADD does not get in the way

This is just some general advice and not a ratification on the website and its purpose.

Your internal language is probably hindering your progress, not just with this website, but with life in general.

Limiting beliefs ("I can't", "I don't have patience") are absolute verdicts that give you no room to grow, change, and improve ... but here is the truth ... they AREN'T absolute verdicts. They are handcuffs that you put on yourself. Why can't you? Why don't you have patience? Quit using excuses as crutches ... I don't know how simply isn't an excuse.

Everyday I realize that "I don't know how" so I go out there and try top find out ... "Finding out" is often free in money, but costly in time ... you must be willing and disciplined to spend it.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Why throw in the towel over something so minor? This seems like a pretty good idea, and $250 isn't that much. If your in business you are going to get burned, consider that $250 part of the tuition.

See it through, entrepreneurs that make money don't quit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.