- Joined
- Apr 15, 2008
- Messages
- 171
- Location
- Earth... yes that is specific
Rep Bank
$330
$330
User Power: 13%
Over the past few weeks I have been installing and configuring Untangle gateway as an internet content and protocol filter/gateway. This would be used as an alternative to a straight router gateway or a system running a Smooth wall gateway. To date I am fairly impressed with it. Currently I have the following applications installed on the system:
Spam filter
anti virus filter
Spy ware filter
web content filter
protocol filter
attack blocker
intrusion prevention
open VPN
each application docks on the host system as a virtual system enabling each application to run as an independent entity so that if any fail they would not shot down the rest of the system.
I was able to convert my current router setup to strictly a wireless access point after a firmware upgrade and do wireless mac address filtering from there. As far as hardware goes I used my Linux domain controller/file server and converted that to the untangle gateway (it is possible to install the untangle system as a virtual operating system through VMware and the like but I would not recommend it). It configurable via a standard we browser and is very well laid out. The best part is is that the current configuration is all open source and a free download. There are professional options like user access management, active directory connector (for access based on domain user profile), remote portal for those who don't want to mess with the complexities of openVPN, as well as a number of others. You can find more information on Open Source Network Gateway | Untangle. As for me I am very pleased with the system.
Spam filter
anti virus filter
Spy ware filter
web content filter
protocol filter
attack blocker
intrusion prevention
open VPN
each application docks on the host system as a virtual system enabling each application to run as an independent entity so that if any fail they would not shot down the rest of the system.
I was able to convert my current router setup to strictly a wireless access point after a firmware upgrade and do wireless mac address filtering from there. As far as hardware goes I used my Linux domain controller/file server and converted that to the untangle gateway (it is possible to install the untangle system as a virtual operating system through VMware and the like but I would not recommend it). It configurable via a standard we browser and is very well laid out. The best part is is that the current configuration is all open source and a free download. There are professional options like user access management, active directory connector (for access based on domain user profile), remote portal for those who don't want to mess with the complexities of openVPN, as well as a number of others. You can find more information on Open Source Network Gateway | Untangle. As for me I am very pleased with the system.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
