The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unique Marketing System

Marketing, social media, advertising

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
I recently had a client to one of my companies request a unique marketing system built. This company of mine specializes in building unique marketing systems that usually don't exist. I was intrigued by the project so I put myself on the creative team. Here is what we came up with:

Element one of the marketing channel starts with mass advertisement through direct mail postcards. These postcards have variable print (the name of the recipient) in large letters at top like, "John!" to get their attention. This can also be substitued with Craigslist postings or adwords, etc.

Element two has a pURL system in place so the recipient can navigate to www. johndoe . mysuperproduct. com (separated dots to prevent suto link, link is just example). Once the recipient arrives to the landing page, their info is displayed; name, phone, email, zipcode. They are asked to verify or update the info to enter a special private section.

Element three is the presentation that starts when they enter the private section. This presentation is of a woman walking onto the screen (typical green screen video). She introduces herself and the product and asks if she can ask 2-3 questions in exchange for a free iPhone, Android phone, or Web game!

Element four is the "Thank You" page where the visitor is now given a special code to enter into the game after they download it from the market place depending on their phone or internet preference. The code is a coupon code, promo code, whatever necessary based on marketplace. This code is specially generated to accomplish a few things later. The visitor is also allowed to send friends to a special link to get their code (viral).

Element five is the downloading of the game. A disclaimer is provided to ensure the down-loader knows the game will tap into the GPS. Now once the game is downloaded and started, a popup with our client's information appears and the Player is offered a discount on the product by purchasing it online. This popup happens everytime the game is opened, or once a day, or whatever is set by client.

Element six provides a popup, notification by email, notification by text or what ever is set by client when the game player's phone is in certain proximity to a store selling clients product. The notification offers a discount expiring in a short time if they choose to purchase it at the specified location right then!

Now you have a detailed outline of a system we were building recently. The client no longer has the financial ability to order this system! I have suspended development until we get enough clients where we can make a profit.

I would love any of your feedback on this system and welcome questions because I am unsure if I explained it well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whether I like it or not would depend on the product itself and my offering. Is it fast food? Cars? Clothes? From a consumer point-of-view, it is kinda scary from a privacy perspective -- do I really want companies to know where I am at all times? And yet, companies like this have no problem growing ... think Foursquare and Twitter.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like a viable idea.. a lot of a/b testing to make sure it's optimized and that way you can show numbers and test data for proof it works..

Oh, and welcome back!

A

Anon3587x

So the main purpose here is to download something to their gps that will show a pop up when that person is near the store?

Last edited by a moderator:

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
PhxMJ,

The interesting part of this system is we do not collect anymore information than we already have. If anyone thinks their information is safe, they better be masking their credit card transactions & surfing the Web through anonymous proxies.

This system works for every product and/or service. For fun if you like me to build a scenario around a product or service you suggest, I would be happy to.

JamesF,

We have run preliminary tests and they were better than expected. Any of our systems are fully tested before release. This system was being built from scratch because it doesn't exist.

bateati,

Lol. All marketing systems seem spammish these days. Actually this system is designed to collect preference data from the user. They only get notifications for the models of the product, or the product they like. They don't arrive to the system at all if they don't want the type of product.

The system makes a lot more money than just releasing a game; but it is not about money. It's about being on the forefront of marketing. If you have ever joined a forum (lol), you have already fell victim to good marketing and data collection of your information.:smxB:

A

Anon3587x

All marketing systems seem spammish these days. Actually this system is designed to collect preference data from the user. They only get notifications for the models of the product, or the product they like. They don't arrive to the system at all if they don't want the type of product.

The whole concept of downloading a program to their gps which will go off and let the consumer know when they are near a store is awesome, I really like that.

ServiceFly
The system makes a lot more money than just releasing a game; but it is not about money. It's about being on the forefront of marketing. If you have ever joined a forum (lol), you have already fell victim to good marketing and data collection of your information.
After all these steps are completed, how do you test the chance of somebody coming near the merchants store and entering the store?

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
You missed a very specific point; this is targeted marketing not random. There are better systems for large traffic streams. This is for the optimal ROI. It is a myth that large amounts of traffic are better than qualified traffic.

Qualified Traffic: Visitors to a website wanting and ready to purchase.

Example - Would you rather have 100,000 unique visitors in a month where 10% purchase (equals 10,000 converted), or 50,000 unique visitors where where 30% purchase (equals 15,000)?

A

Anon3587x

The example I gave you was just meant to show what a good game can do for your business. If they had your gps software attached to that application who knows what kind of profits they would of had. I did not miss the targeted marketing point. By making your program a widget on e-commerce sites your targeting repeat customers. I'm sure somebody who has already made purchases from your business converts very high.

The gps idea is brilliant in my opinion.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
bateati,

I appreciate your viewpoint. Sending customers directly to the product without collecting information converts much less than you think. If I was wrong, many landing pages wouldn't collect name & email for newsletters, or free brochures, or some free info product; which is a common marketing strategy. I mean this to be an example, but my experience dictates my decisions.

Don't worry, you can't hurt my feelings, I am prior military much like yourself (I figure). That said, collection of consumer data with confirmation of their desire by permission is powerful data not to be underestimated.

You also speak to response rates from general media advertising (like adwords). Our system is adaptable to all media advertising; therefore, it is not our responsibility. Our goal is above average conversion rate. Lets take a look ta the bigger picture...

Each client represents a different game, but no matter what game you have on your phone, a notification can be sent based on your preferences. This means you can be sold many different products from only one download of a game. If our clients pay us a monthly license to access their admin panel which controls the notifications for their products or services, plus a fee for each notification (very small but adds up) we generate quite a profit. If you think this revenue model won't work, you better tell Google their in the wrong business! LOL.

Do you see the larger picture?

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
I had a similar idea 2 years ago but didn't had the means to do it.
I think bateati is misjudging the power of email. From what i'm reading across the internet email is still one of the channels with most conversions. Remember this is to be used by everyone...
I think this has legs to go and be a success.
Best of luck!

A

Anon3587x

My vision for your service is totally different than what you have planned.
I seen the idea and somehow the thought transformed into what I would do instead of what your actually doing. When your a programmer you see software ideas and start thinking how you would put it all together and what would work the best and the end product is always different than what originally was thought. I apologize for that.

My e-mail opinion is definitely bias I will admit. I understand the marketing game and when they offer some useful information with the "click here" I know they are trying to make a sale. Just irritates me, feel like they are trying to manipulate me into buying something.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
What's funny is this feels like something from shadowrun, 4th edition. (Yeah, I'm a geek.)

In shadowrun (a fictional pen and paper fantasy cyberpunk future rpg) basically everyone has a device that's a cross between a cellphone, computer, and AR device. With this device, people who enter a mall get their preference lists scanned and stores offer them sales or specialials based on that list.

I just wanted to bring this up because when I read that, I laughed and noted that's exactly what it'll be like someday soon. This topic is just proving the creators were on the right track.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Technically, we have the ability to provide such services as you mention FDJustin. I recently conceptualized a system with a commercial property investor friend where we installed projectors in front of each store in one of his malls. The projector would access the mobile phones with a certain app installed to project that person's name on the floor in front of them. They would see a message like this: "John Stop! Get 30% of in the next 5 minutes on the latest vitamins from [insert vitamin brand here]." when they pass by The Vitamin Shoppe in the mall.

This system was so advanced, he wasn't sure if he could get the shop owners to subscribe. The app would of course be free from the mall's website or the phones marketplace.

I truly wish I could get a client for this project, Lol. It is expensive to implement, but the stores eventually pay monthly and it pays for itself. Plus the publicity would be awesome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.