The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unconventional Ways to use Spare Bedroom to make money?

D

DeletedUser0287

Open to unconventional ideas of spare bedroom to be used that are better than just renting to roommate or Airbnb?
Solely side hustle.

I thought about mushroom farming in a bedroom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Set up some acoustic foam and a mic and do freelance voice-overs.

Buy kosher salt, fresh veggies, and mason jars and fill the room with pickles.

Build a rat utopia. Live stream it 24/7 on Youtube/other streaming services. Cobble up a web service for treat feeders, and let people feed the rats treats whenever they donate a certain amount. Also works with non-rats.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Man... I forgot all about bean/alfalfa sprouts. Sprout those guys in there and sell them to the asian and healthy grocery stores.

Vats of kimchi, and a way to remove the kimchi smell.

I can come up with these all day. I want pictures.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Build a rat utopia. Live stream it 24/7 on Youtube/other streaming services. Cobble up a web service for treat feeders, and let people feed the rats treats whenever they donate a certain amount. Also works with non-rats.

Please do this one!

I'll be the first to donate.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Grow micro-greens for sale to restaurants and Farmer's Markets.

Art in the dark - Buy some easels, stools, paint, booze. brushes. Turn out the lights and see what happens.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Man... I forgot all about bean/alfalfa sprouts. Sprout those guys in there and sell them to the asian and healthy grocery stores.

Vats of kimchi, and a way to remove the kimchi smell.

I can come up with these all day. I want pictures.
I actually looked into microgreens, and there is definitely money in it, but the cottage food laws for greens are too restrictive where I live.

There are some great youtube videos of people that have converted rooms in their house for this very purpose.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Start your own paintball ring you can charge people 30€ an hour plus side you wont have to open a can of paint for that room again!

Or rebuild the room to private sauna you can earn even more then! rent it out for 60€ an hour!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Find a couple decent call girls and rent to them on a daily basis. Make them wash the sheets. You get a % of the sale and no one sleeps there and the girls feel safe because your right next door in case they need help ending the date. NOW THATS UNCONVENTIONAL
I think they call them Brothel's.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I can't stop myself for some reason, so here's another one...

Sound proof the walls. Make the room out like a kitchen, but without plumbing or knives (the latter detail is especially important). Now fill the room with Corning-ware dishes (unbreakable), empty boxes, and safe breakable objects. Rent it to young couples so that they can fight, scream and throw things whenever they have a disagreement about inlaws (or other things). A catharsis room ;)

Possible bonus features:
  • Video cameras so that they can purchase the fight video, and laugh about it later.
    • Also so that she can say "I TOLD you you said that!" (Gals, you'll thank me if you use the room).
  • Live streaming so that anonymous watchers can vote on who is winning the argument. Good for the couple upstairs in the apartment who love to share their fight with neighbors, but don't want to be evicted. Don't just broadcast your fight to the nearest 6 neighbors, stream it to the world!
    • Super-bonus: "Buzz" and "ding" sounds controlled by the audience, so they can interact with the fight. Buzz if you disagree, ding if you agree. A scoreboard keeps track for the couple, and the loser has to apologize first.
  • Possible alternative strategy: Just hire actors to play the part of the couple, and make your money on ads and donations from the live stream audience.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Rent it out as an office, or a room for a counselor/therapist/massage therapist/beautician to work in by the hour. I've seen someone doing that in a town near me.

If you make it day-time hours only, then let it overnight as well...(I'm joking about that but hey, make the most of it).

Short-term overflow stock storage for a home-based mail order business.

Install an extra phone system and Internet and employ someone to work as a Virtual PA or two and make their services your side-hustle. Or any other desk-based business - I had a neighbour who sold a particular niche insurance product from a home office.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I can't stop myself for some reason, so here's another one...

Sound proof the walls. Make the room out like a kitchen, but without plumbing or knives (the latter detail is especially important). Now fill the room with Corning-ware dishes (unbreakable), empty boxes, and safe breakable objects. Rent it to young couples so that they can fight, scream and throw things whenever they have a disagreement about inlaws (or other things). A catharsis room ;)

Possible bonus features:
  • Video cameras so that they can purchase the fight video, and laugh about it later.
    • Also so that she can say "I TOLD you you said that!" (Gals, you'll thank me if you use the room).
  • Live streaming so that anonymous watchers can vote on who is winning the argument. Good for the couple upstairs in the apartment who love to share their fight with neighbors, but don't want to be evicted. Don't just broadcast your fight to the nearest 6 neighbors, stream it to the world!
    • Super-bonus: "Buzz" and "ding" sounds controlled by the audience, so they can interact with the fight. Buzz if you disagree, ding if you agree. A scoreboard keeps track for the couple, and the loser has to apologize first.
  • Possible alternative strategy: Just hire actors to play the part of the couple, and make your money on ads and donations from the live stream audience.
There's a couple of places in Montreal where you can play like $80/hour to do just that. They give you protection (knee pads, elbow pads, helmet), make you sign a release and you can pay a premium to break bigger objects.

You gotta double up on the floor protection though, otherwise it'll get destroyed quickly.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Insulate and air tight the room. Set up a humidity control system. Block out the windows.

Now you have the perfect environment to grow gourmet mushrooms. You can sell them fresh to chefs or dried them out and sell them on the internet.
Have you tried this yourself?
Most mushrooms need light in the fruiting stage. All mushrooms need air and very eco-controlled environments. And even the best mushroom farms get green mold invasion requiring starting all over and intensive sterilization.

Here's the kicker. Your mushroom crops will produce spores that will get in the air and on you and all your possessions, and now and then you'll breath the spores in by the millions as will your family and friends, for days and days. You will have flu symptoms and ear, nose and throat irritation and congestion for weeks at a time. You'll have to pay attention to boosting your immune system.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
You could have a deluxe cat boarding business and install cat condos of 3-tiered floor-to-ceiling 4 x 4 enclosures, one for each cat, and charge $20 or more per cat per day. The room would need good ventilation so the cats don't stress out over each others' scent.

You could raise crickets for human or pet consumption. It takes no time at all. All you need is food leftovers, storage tubs and a spray bottle.

Make sure the storage tubs have tight lids.

I heard somewhere that crickets should not be fed banana peels because there is a risk that they will fart themselves to death.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
It is rare, but in some older townhouses in Alsace, France, the first-floor spare bedroom nearest to the garage is sometimes used to keep a dairy cow.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Have you tried this yourself?
Most mushrooms need light in the fruiting stage. All mushrooms need air and very eco-controlled environments. And even the best mushroom farms get green mold invasion requiring starting all over and intensive sterilization.

Here's the kicker. Your mushroom crops will produce spores that will get in the air and on you and all your possessions, and now and then you'll breath the spores in by the millions as will your family and friends, for days and days. You will have flu symptoms and ear, nose and throat irritation and congestion for weeks at a time. You'll have to pay attention to boosting your immune system.

My post was just an idea not a mushroom growing guide. If he was interested enough he would do the research himself.

And yes I have grown mushrooms in my closet before. You can have a fan and vent to circulate the air. That's why I mentioned and airtight room to avoid contamination. You're over exaggerating on the spores taking over your house. They are heavy enough to just fall under the mushroom. But like I said before airtight room. That solves many problems.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
My post was just an idea not a mushroom growing guide. If he was interested enough he would do the research himself.

And yes I have grown mushrooms in my closet before. You can have a fan and vent to circulate the air. That's why I mentioned and airtight room to avoid contamination. You're over exaggerating on the spores taking over your house. They are heavy enough to just fall under the mushroom. But like I said before airtight room. That solves many problems.
No I don't exagerrate the health risk. I grow my own three favorites seasonally, and it took me hundreds of hands-on hours to learn to grow them successfully - and to learn that this level of success is still far from cost effective. This was never my plan, looking back. The people need to know the financial and health risks before making the investment.
I don't believe you never once got sick growing homegrown mushrooms as a hobby indoors if you've stuck with it beyond one fruiting cycle. No way.
Everyone catches upper respiratory problems and those who stick with the hobby learn to construct barrier rooms of enclosed plastic.
Guess what you dismantle first in a mold invasion?
That is what I call a lost weekend.
It's a tough game. Eventually you learn it's healthier and easier to grow them outdoors, and seasonally.
Based on experience, I know this post is going to prevent many, many unpleasant days of illness.

Last edited:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Aug 2, 2013
I can’t tell which of these posts are serious and who’s joking but they’re all hilarious.

I just imagine OP’s landlord viewing this thread and what his reaction would be lol..

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
All this talk of growing greens in the spare room and no one pointed out the obvious...

...ginseng?
The problem with that is you have to deal with the worst customers.

For ginseng that is.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
These are all ways you could rent your room out in 15 or 30 minute increments:

A black out room for paid napping.

A quiet room getaway for stay-at-home parents.

A sound proof room with sound recording setup for podcast recording and voiceover recording and audiobook recording.

A sound proof room with appropriate lighting and video recording setup for YouTube video and online course recording.

Consider using PeerSpace to advertise the room.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
A sound proof room with sound recording setup for podcast recording and voiceover recording and audiobook recording.
This is a good one. Forgot about it, but my dad did this with our garage for years when I was a kid. Back then it was for radio though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.