The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tyson, 16 years old. Hello!

tyson.haworth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 13, 2020
Tyson, 16 years old nearing the end of my high school years. I've been interested in the entrepreneurial lifestyle ever since I started middle school when I was 13. It has never been about the money for me, it's about spending most of my time on this planet doing something I don't even want to be doing, just to afford to sleep in a nice bed. I've watched tons of videos and read a lot online about ways to achieve my goal, but I found that most of what I was trying to learn was just Get Rich Quick kinda stuff. That is, until I found The Millionaire Fastlane . I'm in love with your work, @djdemarco, and you're a huge inspiration of mine. I plan on continuing to read your books.
A question I have for this community; I'm not sure if I should go to university. My parents would pay for it and I would study Business and Computer Science. Where my uncertainty comes in is even just being in high school at the moment, I'm fairly busy. Because of this, I do not spend as much time as I would like working on my entrepreneurial skills. I am teaching myself how to develop websites. I have absolutely no intentions of getting a job, whatsoever. I've come to that conclusion. My question is; would University be a valuable use of my time if I don't plan on implementing the skills I learn in a job? Would it be more efficient for me to self-educate myself in the exact skills I want, rather than take University classes to do so?

Thank you, Tyson.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Welcome!

Definitely self educate yourself, check out @Fox he has lots of info on web dev stuff,

Skip University imo, I'm sure others will disagree but it's just my opinion.

You can enroll in business class 101 right now, since you are learning web dev think about how you can make your first $1 & go from there.

Do you have a plan right now? Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 1 year? 6 months? Ask yourself these questions, and make goals that are attainable, constantly evaluate where you are in life and HOW to make progress. Dream big, at 16 the world is yours for the taking. Noone can stop you besides yourself.

Immerse yourself in business books and take in / apply the information you learn. A great book to check out is the E-MYTH, Why most small business's don't work. Lori Greniers book invent sell it bank it and Mark Cubans how to win at business book is great to. Felix Dennis How to get Rich is a must read aswell.

Good luck!

tyson.haworth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 13, 2020
Welcome!

Definitely self educate yourself, check out @Fox he has lots of info on web dev stuff,

Skip University imo, I'm sure others will disagree but it's just my opinion.

You can enroll in business class 101 right now, since you are learning web dev think about how you can make your first $1 & go from there.

Do you have a plan right now? Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 1 year? 6 months? Ask yourself these questions, and make goals that are attainable, constantly evaluate where you are in life and HOW to make progress. Dream big, at 16 the world is yours for the taking. Noone can stop you besides yourself.

Immerse yourself in business books and take in / apply the information you learn. A great book to check out is the E-MYTH, Why most small business's don't work. Lori Greniers book invent sell it bank it and Mark Cubans how to win at business book is great to. Felix Dennis How to get Rich is a must read aswell.

Good luck!

#KK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 5, 2020
India
Welcome @tyson.haworth

Take a seat.
Done? Then here is the answer:-

The Forum can not take your life decisions. Period.

You read Millionaire Fastlane , right?
Use the 2 methods outlined to help you in taking decisions. You know yourself much better than us. We can only guess based on a paragraph. Decide yourself.

All the Best. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tyson.haworth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 13, 2020
Welcome @tyson.haworth

Take a seat.
Done? Then here is the answer:-

The Forum can not take your life decisions. Period.

You read Millionaire Fastlane , right?
Use the 2 methods outlined to help you in taking decisions. You know yourself much better than us. We can only guess based on a paragraph. Decide yourself.

All the Best. :)
Hi,
You are absolutely right, I will use WADM for the first time.
Thank you! Cheers.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard, Tyson. Some thoughts:

1) Getting a job at a young age is a great idea. There is no shame in it and it's not a coincidence that the majority of successful founders spent many years working jobs. You learn to do things you don't want to do (which you WILL have to do in your business), you learn how a real business operates, and you learn how to follow (and ultimately create) systems. Keep in mind that MJ himself discovered the need for his fastlane business while working a job.

2) If you can get a free college degree, then by all means do so. Computer science is awesome and a solid investment in your future, but I would skip the business degree. Pair up your CS degree with another natural science (bio, chem, physics, math) for maximum leverage. I've a PhD in physics, and undergrad degrees in physics and finance, but started out in comp sci.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...