The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trade Shows

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Does anyone have experience with Trade Shows. We're doing our first show in May and it's a big one! I'm just looking for some tips and ideas on how to stand out. I also want to know if it's taboo to hire a good looking girl to hang around the booth to attract attention and hand out our product. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
In my experience:

1. be prepared to not only take wholesale orders but sell to retail customers as well. Bob from the next booth over may not have a means to purchase for resale but he may love it and want it for himself personally.

2. have a bowl of pretzels or something on your booth. gives people a reason to stop and feel obligated to talk to you to 'pay' for the pretzels they are eating.

3. if you are giving product samples, watch them like a hawk. people are filthy stealing pigs and will do all they can to try to get as many free samples as they can.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
once upon a time in another life I used to do trade shows :) it was one of the most awesome experiences of my life :D

what kind of show is it? there are a few different kinds that I have been to and they all seem to have a different feel.

the shows I have experience with were Variety merchandise and home show. the variety merchandise one was by far the most fun :) I would say that it would definately benefit you to have someone attractive standing just outside your booth with info/booklets on your product. make sure they are very outgoing. they should be making eye contact and smiling and greeting everyone who comes into their area... make the customers/buyers come into your booth to recieve their free sample. (you will hand out less but the ones that you do will have more of an impact/return on them)

the most important aspect of your booth is all about presentation. alot of things you can do very well yourself. make sure you have differing height levels to make the most out of your presentation :) use empty cardboard boxes in different sizes painted to blend in with the background...

Its been so long, if you have any specific questions please list them. I will try to be as helpful as I can.

my final piece of advice is to wear comfortable shoes! omg my feet would hurt so bad by the end of the show what I wouldnt have given for a comfortable pair of footware!

D

DeletedUser2

pretty girls don't hurt. get a very nice one who grabs people and drags them over to your booth.

pretzels... go up one. something nice in a wrapper, im not sqeamish, but after watching a very sweatty guy reach into the bowl of pretzels at a recent trade show, i was not going to eat a single one....

the one I saw that grabed my attention was a booth that was handing out dollar bills with a sticker on the back that had the companies info.

i walked up he said you want to put money in your pocket? handed me a dollar bill. with a sticker.
it was F*cking cool

another good one. this one booth was giving out FULL ON candy bars, not the halloween little bites but full on butterfingers. and attached cards to each one. saying something like buttering you up for better reletionships. something cute.

all of these were simple, and only required that you spend enough for what you gave out. dont go getting 2000 pieces of swag.
the candy bars, they only had 10=15 out at a time. the dollar bills, the guy had a big button saying ask me for money....
:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I saw one booth with a good looking lady and a prize wheel that you would spin. Prizes were like a carabiners, fake cosmetic jewelry for the ladies - like gaudy rings -, gift certificates for a % off an order. They got tons of traffic because people wanted something for free and to play a game. They kept it campy and fun and their booth was always busy.

Also, you could do a demo with a brush that you started on the first day of the show, put it in the cover, and display it for the whole show. Then at the end take it out and paint something with it. Video tape it and put it on your website. Also show how people do it now with a baggie or whatever and try and paint with that. Good luck.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
1. be prepared to not only take wholesale orders but sell to retail customers as well. Bob from the next booth over may not have a means to purchase for resale but he may love it and want it for himself personally.

We're not allowed to sell at the show, but I have my Square Up card reader just in case. :)

what kind of show is it? there are a few different kinds that I have been to and they all seem to have a different feel.

It's a big show. The National Hardware Show. It's mostly Buyers, Retailers, Wholesalers, etc...

the most important aspect of your booth is all about presentation. alot of things you can do very well yourself. make sure you have differing height levels to make the most out of your presentation use empty cardboard boxes in different sizes painted to blend in with the background...

Yup. We watched video of the past few years to get ideas on what other companies do.

pretzels... go up one. something nice in a wrapper, im not sqeamish, but after watching a very sweatty guy reach into the bowl of pretzels at a recent trade show, i was not going to eat a single one....

I was thinking that too. Something wrapped.

another good one. this one booth was giving out FULL ON candy bars, not the halloween little bites but full on butterfingers. and attached cards to each one. saying something like buttering you up for better reletionships. something cute.

My wife suggested Rice Krispie Treats with personalized wrappers. Maybe I can find a place that can put our company logo on the wrapper. Love the idea though.

the dollar bills, the guy had a big button saying ask me for money....

That's not a bad idea. I mean, our product is meant to save money.

Also, you could do a demo with a brush that you started on the first day of the show, put it in the cover, and display it for the whole show. Then at the end take it out and paint something with it. Video tape it and put it on your website. Also show how people do it now with a baggie or whatever and try and paint with that. Good luck.

Love this idea. I believe my partner mentioned that. He wanted to put a wet brush in a cover before we got there.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!