The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Too Old?

glennith

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 13, 2013
Glendale, North Northumberland UK
Hi Everyone,

I don't know why but I feel a bit nervous about being here. I've 'worked' since the age of 15, run my own business with my husband (B&B) and most people would say we have a comfortable life. However, most months we are just covering our bills, ok we own our house outright which is a help but there never seems to be any money left over to just do things on a whim. I guess my nerves come with the realisation I am 57 :sigh: - is that too old to start looking at the Fastlane? Do I have the time (that's a biggy!) and the energy? Energy perhaps, I started organising cyclosportives as a community project, it doesn't bring me any income but I've learned an awful lot! What do you think? Am I too old?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
is that too old to start looking at the Fastlane?

If you have something I want, Ill give you money -- I don't think about your age during that transaction and the truth of the matter is, no one else does either.

In fact, the question is no different than asking "I have a big red pimple on my a$$... can I go Fastlane?"

Welcome aboard.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Your age group and continuing on has big disposable income, and have unique wants/needs. Who knows your age groups wants/needs more than you? Would you expect some young buck to come up with solutions for your age group? They can't relate like you. Pay attention to your peers, what do they want, what do they need? (that they are willing to pay for ;) Then give it to them!

tormat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 28, 2012
US
You have 57 years of experiance getting to know those around you and talking with them. Best field research ever! You are more qualified, not too old!

S

stranger

Age is nothing if you're still young in your heart. Shit, I have a friend who is 62rs old. He started his online business when he was 53, he made about 40 billions of bucks to 2010. I knew him because we both were fans of AC/DC.
I'm sure fastlane isn't about your age, it's all about your mind and wish to get freedom.
As for me, I'm not a very materialistic dude and I only want money for freedom and to travel. Yes, I don't need in a super sport-cart (i've got 4 wheels forever hehe), but money means materialistic freedom in our not free world.

P.S. Oops, i don't want a sportcart but i want a sailboat.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Do I have the time

Every day is a blessing. Every moment is. Everything is still possible.

I just talked with my to-be girlfriend the other day, her grandpa is 80 and just treated himself with a brand new pearl white Alfa Romeo.

Sometimes I workout in the park, and once a met a guy there...six pack abs, muscular, literally like 30-something - only his neck and face are all wrinkled and his hair is white. He was 62 "granpa" more fit and with more life in his eyes than many youngsters. He showed me some exercises. Hi runs from the other part of the city to that park to stay fit.

When we are young they tell us we're "too young".
Then they start telling us we're "too old".

Somehow I didn't notice there was a transition period where we were "just right".

There are enough limitations in life as it is, you don't need to create additional, artificial ones.

Joke for B&B owners:)

The Very Best of Legendary Mitch Hedberg - YouTube

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Almost everyone I know that is worth more than 10 million is over the age of 50.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The truth is that nobody gives a shit about you. Nobody is thinking about you or your thoughts or whats going on in your life. Everyone is walking this earth only concerned about themselves, their own life, and how everything in it can benefit them.

This should lift some pressure off of you if you are self conscious or worried about how others perceive you.

If you can benefit someone in some way or form then you have yourself a customer or a friend or a lifetime romantic partner.

Your personality, personal history, past mistakes, the look on your face, age, the color of your hair doesn't mean shit and nobody gives a F*ck.

There are millions and millions and millions of people in your own country and in the world, do you think anyone of those people actually gives a shit about your life or your age? You know what they do care about? If anything can benefit THEM.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Your physical body has very little to do with your spirit.

Every day, at every second, valuable connections are made between spirits on all levels, from man to beast.

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
I guess my nerves come with the realisation I am 57 :sigh: - is that too old to start looking at the Fastlane? Do I have the time (that's a biggy!) and the energy? Am I too old?

I'll tell you the same thing I told my 16 year old sister when she came to me a few years back asking if me if she thought she was too young to start a business.

The answer is that if you truly believe you are too old then you are.

Remember the story about the Lambo? "I'll never have one of those" - You're Right.

If you think your too old then you are done. If you believe that you aren't and you can prove it (maybe like the KFC guy), then you will do just fine.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
If I am not mistaken colonel Sanders founded KFC when he was 59.
Being an 'old man' myself I can tell you that staying healthy and creative is the key to succeeding in the fastlane, irrespective of your age.
Stay 'hungry' to create new products and/or services that other people need or want.

I notice that as I get older my life experience helps me in coming up with good new ideas and ventures more easily then for example 20 years ago. That doesn't mean that everything that I touch now turns into gold. However, contrary to the past I now kill a new venture much sooner if I see that it won't work like I expected. When I was younger I guess my ego didn't allow me to abandon an idea that was going south. So, I used to sink too much energy and money in a fight I couldn't win.
Now I move on much quicker, which saves me energy and money and raised my success rate with new ventures.

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
You are never too old to learn the truth and realize your dreams. As long as you provide value or fill a need, there are opportunities for you. Stay inspired and stay focused. If you lack energy, add some exercise, something as simple as a nice long walk every morning to clear your head is a great way to start.

Read and contribute to threads on this forum for inspiration and guidance.

Good luck!

glennith

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 13, 2013
Glendale, North Northumberland UK
Every day is a blessing. Every moment is. Everything is still possible.

I just talked with my to-be girlfriend the other day, her grandpa is 80 and just treated himself with a brand new pearl white Alfa Romeo.

Sometimes I workout in the park, and once a met a guy there...six pack abs, muscular, literally like 30-something - only his neck and face are all wrinkled and his hair is white. He was 62 "granpa" more fit and with more life in his eyes than many youngsters. He showed me some exercises. Hi runs from the other part of the city to that park to stay fit.

When we are young they tell us we're "too young".
Then they start telling us we're "too old".

Somehow I didn't notice there was a transition period where we were "just right".

There are enough limitations in life as it is, you don't need to create additional, artificial ones.

Joke for B&B owners:)

Joke for B&B owners

Very funny!!! Will tell that to some of my guests!

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I guess my nerves come with the realisation I am 57 - is that too old to start looking at the Fastlane?

I'm 53 (with a full time job, 8 kids, and lots of other commitments).

The way to do this is to pace yourself. I do an hour or so a day on average. My current project has taken me well over a year to get it to the point of "ready". Be modest in your daily goals but focused and persistent. Work on something you enjoy & that you feel good about. And keep your vision clearly in front of you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...