The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Today is THE day

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
G

Guest61835

This is it. If you've followed my execution posts, here it is. I still haven't gained one customer since October. Absolutely not 1 dollar has been earned from my web design business. Zero. I'm making a decision today. Either I'm fully dissolving my business and throwing in the towel, or I'm going ALL IN. I've reached a point to where I'm losing money that is inexcusable and either needs to be resolved by dissolving the business or going all in to make that money.

I keep getting the same reasons why people won't purchase my services "I don't have time to have a website" or "You're services are nice and I'd love to have them, but I need your business to know what I want on it entirely 100% before buying your services without telling you any information." Or both at the same time.

I absolutely cannot convince a signal soul to buy my services because they do not want to give me information about their business and how they want their website. There is no signal price or even almost for free that can convince these businesses to buy my services. It doesn't matter the perceived value or how valuable my website is to them, they want almost no contact ever again if the website is set up and they will want me to be literally a mind reader and put magical pieces of their website on their god knows only website. I've been targeting small businesses and I've got nothing. Even the smallest person doesn't want one. Today is the day I either fail or succeed. And I'm not sure if dissolving the business or keeping the business is either of those.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You may have a communication issue with prospects, or the service you are offering isn't really needed.

How many people have you pitched? If it's a large amount that's the market telling you what you are offering isn't needed, its not a bad thing. Just crank the gumball machine some more.

Just like MJ said, pro baseball players only hit the ball about 30% of the time, keep swinging.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
What kind of websites can you build, WordPress? Can you design? I will buy the first service from you, actually two simple Wordpress websites. PM for further discussion if that will rekindle your desire to keep going.

Ess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 22, 2020
This is it. If you've followed my execution posts, here it is. I still haven't gained one customer since October. Absolutely not 1 dollar has been earned from my web design business. Zero. I'm making a decision today. Either I'm fully dissolving my business and throwing in the towel, or I'm going ALL IN. I've reached a point to where I'm losing money that is inexcusable and either needs to be resolved by dissolving the business or going all in to make that money.

I keep getting the same reasons why people won't purchase my services "I don't have time to have a website" or "You're services are nice and I'd love to have them, but I need your business to know what I want on it entirely 100% before buying your services without telling you any information." Or both at the same time.

I absolutely cannot convince a signal soul to buy my services because they do not want to give me information about their business and how they want their website. There is no signal price or even almost for free that can convince these businesses to buy my services. It doesn't matter the perceived value or how valuable my website is to them, they want almost no contact ever again if the website is set up and they will want me to be literally a mind reader and put magical pieces of their website on their god knows only website. I've been targeting small businesses and I've got nothing. Even the smallest person doesn't want one. Today is the day I either fail or succeed. And I'm not sure if dissolving the business or keeping the business is either of those.

I think you may be violating the commandment of entry here. Learning web design is tough but realistically someone can become proficient at creating small business websites in 1-3 months. I think your problem is that your market is saturated and you're probably not delivering enough value. Your customers are telling you that you are not adding value. Even if you were bad at selling, they would be asking you questions and giving you opportunities to sell them on your service. I spent years developing a software product and when it went to market, I was ignored and dismissed. The market is funny that way. If you're adding something of value, people will give you feedback. If you're not, you get responses like "I'm not interested" or "I don't have time for X". I remember wishing they would just tell me, "Hey your product sucks and I have no use for it" just so I could move on. You know what? They were -- I just wasn't listening. Not having a website is really not an issue for most businesses now a days. If I needed one, I could contact one of the hundreds of companies making them, make one myself or go on upwork and get one made for a few hundred bucks. Most likely, I could just market my business on facebook.

You are not in a bad position though. If you continue learning, you will have a high income skill and the ability to create a product from nothing. I think you would benefit from a change in direction. Continue learning and use your new skills to solve a problem.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Losing money as in associated costs or as in "leaving money on the table"? I would imagine in your current position there are not really any costs.

At this stage in the game, you're in the business of sales, not web design. What sales experience do you have? Have you tried refining your approach?

It sounds like you're having trouble breaking down objections "I don't have time to have a website" - well the truth is, the website will save them a lot of time in the future and they simply can't afford to not have one.

""You're services are nice and I'd love to have them, but I need your business to know what I want on it entirely 100% before buying your services without telling you any information."

So, tell them ok, you know what kind of company they are (landscaping, restaurant, gym, etc) and their location, charge them extra for copywriting, research the target audience and competing gyms, and throw it on there. If you have to rely on your customer providing all of the content before getting work, you will never get anywhere. I often do my best to provide a working solution with some basic copy on each of their pages, and this usually gets them motivated to suggest changes or even draft entire pages on what they want up.

From How to Win Friends and Influence People (which it sounds like would be a great read for your current problem you are facing), one thing I think worth trying is to "become genuinely interested in other people." Are you really interested in solving their problem or focused on your own needs of making money? People can tell the difference when you're pitching your services.

sheri

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 31, 2019
I'm a web developer, and I hear about a lot of people wanting to build websites... I think it's super saturated and also harder than it sounds.
My sister started freelancing a few years ago. She is super-skilled, has about 10 years of experience and is on top of her game - Angular, React, server-side development, works super fast and writes top-quality code.
BUT getting the "right" clients, making sure you have a steady stream of projects while balancing work-life is not simple.
By "right" clients, I mean that you have good communication, can meet their expectations, etc... not every project is worth taking on.
At the end of the day, she is still trading time for money and complains about it (yes good money) but hopefully someday can work on her own thing.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I'm a web developer, and I hear about a lot of people wanting to build websites... I think it's super saturated and also harder than it sounds.
My sister started freelancing a few years ago. She is super-skilled, has about 10 years of experience and is on top of her game - Angular, React, server-side development, works super fast and writes top-quality code.
BUT getting the "right" clients, making sure you have a steady stream of projects while balancing work-life is not simple.
By "right" clients, I mean that you have good communication, can meet their expectations, etc... not every project is worth taking on.
At the end of the day, she is still trading time for money and complains about it (yes good money) but hopefully someday can work on her own thing.
As someone who ran a web design business 15 years ago, I can agree here. In 2005, I was basically shooting fish in a barrel. Now? Saturated. Much more difficult to start from zero, and profitability has plummeted as more competitors have entered the space. Finding a niche and differentiating yourself is almost a requirement now. You can still make big money, but you have to be very strategic and you have got to communicate your value.

Ess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 22, 2020
I agree with the comments above. Maybe adjusting your sales approach would help.

I can see why this approach wouldn't work
You: I'd like to make your business a website
Customer: no thanks, sounds expensive.

I can see why this approach might work
You: I specialize in helping small businesses like your increase sales and market presence. Do you have 5 minutes to talk about how I can help your business grow?

Customer: sure, shoot.

You: ok great, why dont we start off with this. How are you currently marketing to your customers?

Customer: Local advertisements or XYZ strategy

You: thanks, I understand how I might be of service.

[insert website pitch]

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
Maybe offer a multitude of other marketing services in addition to website design?

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Better pitch:

"I build websites for independent grocery stores that convert sales at a 35% higher rate than industry average."
- or -
"We have more experience building websites for landscapers than anyone else"
- or -
"My deep knowledge in financial services means I build websites fully compliant with FINRA rules."

Do not be a generalist. Be a destination agency. Generalists are constrained to a client base that is roughly 60 miles within driving distance. A destination agency is so specialized and proven that companies fly out to see you.

Goals. Map them out. Pick a niche. Gain the skills necessary. Do a website for free if need be to a business in the target industry. Build your book.

But for God's sake, do not be a "full-service" or generalist agency. You'll get your lunch eaten.

Read this:

Attachments

• EscapeTheSeaOfSameness.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Better pitch:

"I build websites for independent grocery stores that convert sales at a 35% higher average rate."
- or -
"We have more experience building websites for landscapers than anyone else"
- or -
"My deep knowledge in financial services means I build websites fully compliant with FINRA rules."

Do not be a generalist. Be a destination agency. Generalists are constrained to a client base that is roughly 60 miles within driving distance. A destination agency is so experienced that companies fly out to see you.

Goals. Map it out. Pick a niche. Gain the skills necessary. Do a website for free if need be to a business in the target industry. Build your book

But for God's sake, do not be a "full-service" or generalist agency. You'll get your lunch eaten.
You also need to know what your potential client wants. No one wants a website, they want the results that a website produces. Is it reputation management? New clients? Better-paying clients? A place to publish information so they can stop responding to 1,000 emails that ask the same question?

Without knowing the solution the client is looking for, it's hard to convince them that a website solves their problem.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
You also need to know what your potential client wants. No one wants a website, they want the results that a website produces. Is it reputation management? New clients? Better-paying clients? A place to publish information so they can stop responding to 1,000 emails that ask the same question?

Without knowing the solution the client is looking for, it's hard to convince them that a website solves their problem.
That's definitely part of the marketing funnel. Deeper niched companies certainly do that.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

If what you're doing doesn't work then change something. Talk to them on the phone or in person. Target a different market. Ask different questions. Reframe your service and sell landing pages instead. Figure out their problem and sell the solution. If they don't have time for a website then the problem isn't leads, so you have to show them other ways and reasons a website is valuable for them that has nothing to do with getting them more customers or converting more leads.

Ess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 22, 2020

Yes, this is where I was getting at. Put the customers needs first and you will get what you want -- their business. There are so many people selling websites. Few sell business solutions (which may mean creating a website). What are your customers needs? Take a look at their storefront. Is it busy? Then offer a solution to help them manage their customers via a website. Are they vacant, then offer them a solution to increase traffic via a website. Is a website not a great fit for the customer? Offer to refer them to your network.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I am officially dissolving my business. Mission failed.

Ookkaaayyy

You make a dramatic statement and get pretty significant engagement from the peanut gallery, all with some great suggestions. You even get an offer to build a couple simple websites. You don't reply to a single post made here, nor even throw a like to the comments.

.... and then you just show up to say you quit?

If I were a betting man, I would wager that there exists a significant link between the behavior you've shown here and the reason you're not landing jobs.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

I don't think you'll get your client today. It's about the process, not the event you know.
But if you really want to go in, you're in luck. Nothing can explain it better than the 10X Rule.

I work on a daily-progress thread myself. The results are not amazing, but it's not viable to "just quit". If you feel that way, re-valuate your objectives and act accordingly.
Do you want to only make money fast? Then you should quit and find a faster route.
Do you want to base your Fastlane project on web design? Then, you should either continue or pause it to re-invent your strategy.

And in case you didn't hear...
Never expect clients to get in touch with you. Ever.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Ookkaaayyy

You make a dramatic statement and get pretty significant engagement from the peanut gallery, all with some great suggestions. You even get an offer to build a couple simple websites. You don't reply to a single post made here, nor even throw a like to the comments.

.... and then you just show up to say you quit?

If I were a betting man, I would wager that there exists a significant link between the behavior you've shown here and the reason you're not landing jobs.
Case resolved?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Sounds like you're trying to sell ice cream to people living in Alaska ...

"waah, waaah, no matter what I do, people won't buy my ice cream. They tell me stupid things like, its too cold for ice cream or I don't have the money.... waah waaah."

LOL

On a more serious note, how about you find people that are actually looking to buy a website.

Use google adwords (Google Map Ads) and target keywords with the intent of hiring a web site developer.

You might get better results.

Also, this ^^.....
you don't know your customers, you don't know what they want. If you did, you'd be able to offer it to them.

Clearly 50% of them want a website but they also want you to provide the content that will get them the results they want.

The other 50% aren't convinced that a website is going to add anything to their business.

With the 1st group, you should try to learn more about their business, what sort of business are they operating, are they after leads, or do they just want an online profile that people can look up and find their address and contact info and some other info. Do your research - you don't even need to speak with them, speak to people like them or just google about people like them (or join their forums and private groups on fb).

The 2nd group needs a free lead magnet that explains what a website can do for them. Since they seem to be worried about "time". Do a lead magnet called something like..."This Tool Will Replace Your Best Sales Person - And Work For You 24/7 For As Little As $7/Month!"

Damn, what the heck will do that... oh yeah, a website will do that, then you start talking about all the benefits that a website gives business owners, how it can generate leads, close leads, generate sales online (without the need to talk to sales people), provide useful information and save the business owner hundreds of hours every year - hours that they can spend on more revenue generating activities.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Fun story, I'm in a new niche and was researching some competition.

One of the people that I need to somehow steal market share failed 2 business's (went bankrupt I believe twice) Total failure, a person in their 40's with a family to support.

The next business they started grew to about 500+ million dollars. ''Failure'' is never a bad thing. I'd argue it's awesome in business as long as you are learning from mistakes, in your case I'll assume the skills you have to close a deal are quite low, which is something you'll need to improve on.

As mentioned before, keep swinging the bat.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I want in on that bet too!

I am officially dissolving my business. Mission failed.

Update: He threw in the towel.

"Please delete my account. Fastlane isn't for me." :rofl:

I took at a one swing at one pitch from one pitcher and missed. Baseball isn't for me.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Fun story, I'm in a new niche and was researching some competition.

One of the people that I need to somehow steal market share failed 2 business's (went bankrupt I believe twice) Total failure, a person in their 40's with a family to support.

The next business they started grew to about 500+ million dollars. ''Failure'' is never a bad thing. I'd argue it's awesome in business as long as you are learning from mistakes, in your case I'll assume the skills you have to close a deal are quite low, which is something you'll need to improve on.

As mentioned before, keep swinging the bat.
Agreed,
There is no failure, only results.

Ess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 22, 2020
Appears as if he was looking for failure. When you do that, it's like you step up to the plate and dont even swing the bat!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
What kind of websites can you build, WordPress? Can you design? I will buy the first service from you, actually two simple Wordpress websites. PM for further discussion if that will rekindle your desire to keep going.
@Val Okafor Not sure if you need those two Wordpress sites or if you were just trying to help Mr. Guest out. If you need two sites, I can help you out. I've done a lot of those in my day (since 2008), I don't do many of them anymore, but if you need help I will offer my services to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.