The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Time is a Human Invention

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

SouthernCharm

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 28, 2017
North Carolina
I stumbled across this article and it immediately brought me back to my first "aha moment" when reading Unscripted . The simple but profound realization that we don't have to trade five days of our time slaving away in exchange for two days of freedom. This five days on, two days off rule, is not a natural law handed down from the heavens, but a cultural norm established to get the most out of each worker bee in the hive.

If you grasp MJ's logic of how society's weekend/weekday pattern is really a culturally reinforced illusion, this article takes the next natural step.

"Time as we think of it isn’t innate to the natural world; it’s a manmade construct intended to describe, monitor, and control industry and individual production...all units of time are arbitrary inventions used for industrial means."

“We take this concept of time, this amorphous entity, and translate it into one of the most objective tangible entities: money,” says Robert Levine, psychology professor at California State University-Fresno and author of A Geography of Time. “A person gets paid by the hour; a lawyer gets paid by the minute.”

In taking the Fast Lane approach, we not only avoid the week/weekend philosophy, but the established view of measured time = labor units = money. By unchaining ourselves from a dependency on time for additional wealth, we sidestep the entire concept of time as a tool for measuring production and the eight hour workdays and Facebook "flicks" that go along with it.

Full article here:
Time is a human-made invention that controls how we work

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Yo! In 24 hours my Udemy courses go bye bye.. (for real this time) Gotta make way for...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hi Guys! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am a part of Fox's Web School program. Though I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom