The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on Investing in an existing business

Anything related to investing, including crypto

High Sierra

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 4, 2017
Lincoln, CA
I'd like some thoughts on this, please... I've never made an investment like this, so would appreciate any thoughts, tricks, traps, things to consider and/or check further, perhaps some points that should be in the contract if I move forward, etc.

A local business is for sale - it's a pool hall. I'm very familiar with this pool hall... I visit it several times a week (for the past five years) and feel it is in general a very solid business with a bright future. It's a consistent performer. The current owner has multiple investments beyond this one and is just trying to consolidate a bit and reduce his personal involvement so he can pursue other interests. The asking price is reasonable in comparison to similar businesses in the area. The current GM (he's been there for 3+ years) would like to buy the business, but does not have the cash necessary for a 33% down payment desired by the owner. I am considering loaning him $$ for the down payment.

The business is located in a strip mall type building owned by the current owner of the pool hall. The lease for the pool hall is reasonable compared to comps and already a part of the pool hall's financials - and the owner has stated that the lease will stay the same for at least 5 years.

This is the deal he's offering:

- Repay the down payment loan in 3 (maybe 4) years @ 10% interest.
- I would also receive a 40% equity stake in the business along with 40% of the net profits going forward.

To me, it seems like a decent deal. I've reviewed the financials, and they're pretty solid. The math works for paying off my loan as well as the loan from the owner for the remainder. 40% of the net profits as they currently stand would generate an income stream a little shy of, say, an elementary school teacher's salary.

The GM shared a few low-hanging fruit 'fat trimming' opportunities with me, and I fully agree that his ideas are valid and will further improve the numbers. We've also discussed various improvements, and I agree with his thinking on those as well.

The biggest problem is... the GM has no skin in the game... no collateral or anything like that to secure my loan of the down payment. I'm wondering what kinds of things can/should be put in the contract to mitigate my risk in this area. If I didn't have confidence in him and the business, I wouldn't even be considering it... but still, business is business, and I want to cover my risk on the down payment loan as much as possible.

I don't really consider this full-blown "Fast Lane"... but it sure seems like a decent step in the right direction that will generate some side income that could in turn support other Fast Lane activities.

So...

- Am I insane?
- How can I mitigate risk on the initial investment?
- Other thoughts?

- Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.