The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is Phil, father of 2, changing lanes - my success journal

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Hi there,

so ... this is my introduction thread. My name is Phil and I'm located in Germany, Franconia to be precise.

I'm 43 yrs old, married to the most wonderful woman imaginable and father of two kids, a 6yr old boy and a 3yr old daughter (my personal planet actually has three suns *lol*).

I just recently finished the audio version of MJs book "the millionaire fastlane " and was amazed by the wealth of information shared there and also in this forum, which is referenced throughout the book.

While listening to the book (I commute a lot and simply staring on the motorway is such a waste of time) I must admit that I had my ups and downs with the content shared.

I first really loved the first chapters but then I felt it a bit lengthy. Now that I have finished the book I do not feel this anymore. It was necessary to get the overall picture.

Throughout my life I have - most of the time - been a kind of sidewalker. I really had downs with my parents passing away (aged 49 and 50) within a 1yr timeframe when I was 25. I would say, I know a thing or two about how bad life can be. Lost my appartment, lost my job, stole money (I'm really not very proud of this) to survive and in 2000 made a cut.

I moved from Duesseldorf, where I was born, to the area I live in now. I had my rollercoaster of life here as well but never more the low valleys which I experienced before the move.

I always wanted more and tried a lot of things. MLM (Herbalife, financial products, tailor made shirts and all that crap) and lost $1,000s. Always on the lookout for the next "get rich quick scheme". The one thing that I learned from this that there is no get rich quick without effort (and lottery is not an option).

Throughout the last years I recognized that the online world (aka the Internet) is the big equalizer of our time. I'm a big fan of master hustler GaryVee who is quite motivational for me. I love his direct speech (get the F*ck out of your comfort zone!).

Since I moved I'm working in a job which I started to hate. Not because of the task I have - I'm in IT procurement which I love) but because of all this F*ckin' (sorry) politics, who knows whom, who's kissing which a$$ and that performance is simply not valued. Additional to that a experienced a lot of betrayal (false promises) and lies within the corporate world.

However, I know there's a different approach, a different world and that it's open to (nearly) everyone who's willing to stop complaining (sounds a little bit strange when you look at the previous paragraph) and starting to take consistent action.

I really believe in that a lot of gatekeeping functions that may block people from a experiencing a fully abundant life are no longer there.

What do I mean?
  • you want to be a TV star in your topic? Start a YouTube channel (see "Wine Library TV")
  • you think you want to create a book? Createspace (and the other services around) is your friend
  • you want to build a tribe? Start a website / blog
I also have gained some knowledge in some specific areas I am / was very pasionate about:
  • I always was fascinated by what people do with Microsoft Excel - I consciously decided to teach this to myself up to the point that I got one of the top 10 Excel blogs
  • I hated how people present these days in the corporate world (death by powerpoint) - I decided that there's a better way and learned Powerpoint
  • In the last years I started with a web designers certificate as a side job (coaching trap, see below) and moved more and more into SEO. I now have a very decent time-proof approach to SEO and anyone interested in that can ask me anything about it - both publicly or through a PM here
There were some life-changing events in my life that are related to this. One for sure was the birth of my son (which was not planned but very welcome) which gives life and purpose a whole new direction.

One other very important event in my life was sports. I never was a sports guy but always fascinated about what people like you and me do achieve. I remember how interested I was, when a few of my colleagues told me about "running". My boss ran her first marathon and I thought to myself "how cool is that???". So in December of 2015 I listened to Hal Elrods podcast where he talked about a book that made him finish his first marathon. Went to Amazon, 1-click-bought the book. On January 12th, 2016 I - again consciously - decided I will do that, too. Went online and signed up for a marathon event in my area.

Fast forward 16 weeks - and appoximately 700 training kilometers (yes, we have the metric system here in Germany *lol*) later, I ran my first marathon on June 12th, 2016 (in 4:35 hrs, if you want to know...)

This really taught me the maybe most important lesson in life:

You mindset is the most important thing in life - if you really REALLY want something, you WILL achieve it!

Having the right mindset can overcome anything!

This caused a huge shift in my mind. After that I focussed even more on sports and became a running trainer just to find out that this leads more or less automatically to the "coaching trap" that MJ so well describes in his book (just another form of exchanging time for money and having a business that is dependent on my time). Nevertheless, this was some kind of "failure" that opened my eye to the more "unlimited scalable" business models. Failed but learned something which is the least I can expect.

Also, the marathon started my interest in what I call "life hacks". By this I mean things like meditation (which works more or less decently for me) or overcoming my huge procrastination (the 5 second rule by Mel Robbins really did the job for me).

I also know (now) that the vivid imagination of being wealthy and successful alone will not do the job (call it "orders from the universe", the secret or similar). It may be a good starting point to get to a defined end goal but if you do not take consistent and consequent action dreaming alone does not help at all. This is what I have done in the past 20 yrs or so and it only led me from a sidewalker to a slowlaner.

Maybe it's some kind of midlife crisis (a positive one) but in the last year I asked myself: Is this really all there is? Should this life, which is convenient and nice and everything, really be the final stage for the years to come? For me there is a clear answer (MJs book underlined this with a huge black stroke): NO - I want and deserve more and I will get more.

Coming to an end, here's what the next steps are from my point of view:

I will travel outside my comfort zone more and more to build a valuable asset. I know a thing or two about certain topics that I know are in high demand so my plan is to start teaching them. I will start a separate thread (something like an action journal in a separate thread).

I also think I need to at least roughly define an exit strategy because I definitely do not want to work until I'm 67 (standard retirement age in Germany as of now). I surely will not retire wealthy at age 29 because I simply do not have a time machine but I feel that now is the time to massively change.

Looking very much forward to the interaction with this amazing community (I love forums more than FB or any other community "tool") and to any question, feedback or comment you may have.

Open fire :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro Phil, thank you for posting. Be sure to check out my next book as it explores the next step in the Fastlane process.

Welcome aboard.

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Great intro Phil, thank you for posting. Be sure to check out my next book as it explores the next step in the Fastlane process.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you for the warm welcome. It is amazing to directly communicate to the author of a book that many (incl me) have described as "life changing". As I read in some reviews on Amazon, that it is a good continuation after MF I have already ordered it.

But as said elsewhere here, with a whole summer of reading one ends up with $0 more in your pocket so ... off to some action :)

bitsinmyblood

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 29, 2017
Washington State, USA
Thank you for the warm welcome. It is amazing to directly communicate to the author of a book that many (incl me) have described as "life changing". As I read in some reviews on Amazon, that it is a good continuation after MF I have already ordered it.

But as said elsewhere here, with a whole summer of reading one ends up with $0 more in your pocket so ... off to some action :)

Welcome!

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I think you'll be successful @PhilKowalski if for no other reason, you said that you love being an IT Procurement person - that might be one of the most thankless and mundane jobs ever. Seriously, Mike Rowe should film an episode of Dirty Jobs where he serves as an IT Procurement Officer.

LOL!

Seriously, welcome aboard and good luck, mate.

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
I think you'll be successful @PhilKowalski if for no other reason, you said that you love being an IT Procurement person - that might be one of the most thankless and mundane jobs ever. Seriously, Mike Rowe should film an episode of Dirty Jobs where he serves as an IT Procurement Officer.

LOL!

Seriously, welcome aboard and good luck, mate.

This one really made my day @Sean Kaye - yeah, to be quite honest it's an interesting mixture in the corporate world: being in this three-part-relationship between requisitioner, supplier and me which is always pulsating. As the most nerdy department of any company (IT) to it and you really have some interesting action going on. I could now go on and on about what I like about my job but there some thing that make me hate being in a corporate organisation:
  • politics and brownnosing all the way
  • no one stands in for their opinion
Let me give you a very recent example (which really makes me want to vomit on my office desk): Yesterday we received results from a corp engagement survey and although asked differently when we were surveyed, the results (quite sub-standard in a lot of areas like "do you like your job", "are you proud working for the company" etc) where simply turned upside down and my boss - who is an amazing leader - got accused of these bad results. None of the surveyed people blamed her and we decided (as a group): let's do something to clarify this. However, when it came to taking action (aka writing a clarification email to our middle management), NO F*ckING ONE was participating. Everyone ducked away so I wrote that email alone after all.

And this is the reason I am HERE in this forum and taking some action (have to set up my progress thread still) because I cannot imagine working in such a group for very much longer.

hmmm... having a look at what this post originated from it somehow turned quite "depressive" but ... ahhh... never mind, I press the "POST REPLY" button now :)

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
btw... just read the title of this post again - I'm not a middleaged father of 2 changing lanes

BUT instead

a middleaged father of two, who is changing lanes

:);)

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
Hi there,

so ... this is my introduction thread. My name is Phil and I'm located in Germany, Franconia to be precise.

I believe I've been to the Franconia region... Frankishe Schweiz?? Are those the same? Bamberg? The fabulous drink known as rauchbier?

Last edited:

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Welcome Phil!

Appreciate the candid/thoughtful post. Got a couple of books im going to check out thanks to your post. Excited to read about your progress on changing lanes.

Last edited:

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
I believe I've been to the Franconia region... Frankishe Schweiz?? Are those the same? Bamberg? The fabulous drink known as rauchbier?
Hey @DustinH (great avatar btw ... love the Dude) - yes, exactly.

Wondeful city of Bamberg with its wonderful "Rauchbier" (smoked beer, where the hop gets smoked before the beer is brewed - gives a very special, bacon-like taste to the beer).

You have been there?

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
Hey @DustinH (great avatar btw ... love the Dude) - yes, exactly.

Wondeful city of Bamberg with its wonderful "Rauchbier" (smoked beer, where the hop gets smoked before the beer is brewed - gives a very special, bacon-like taste to the beer).

You have been there?

Yes I stayed there for about a month one summer getting college credit for my German language class. Loved it. There's a school in downtown Bamberg called the Sprachinstitut where we studied. Took trips to Nuremberg, Erlangen, Munich, Rothenburg, Regensburg, and hiked across the country to Darmstadt.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Hello Neighbour,

Welcome to the forum!

Good to see you actually taking a lot of action. Looking forward to see more of this in your action journal!

Herzliche grüße

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Yes I stayed there for about a month one summer getting college credit for my German language class. Loved it. There's a school in downtown Bamberg called the Sprachinstitut where we studied. Took trips to Nuremberg, Erlangen, Munich, Rothenburg, Regensburg, and hiked across the country to Darmstadt.

My slowlane job is currently located in Erlangen (big university)... :)

One thing just happened these days. The slowlane sometimes reminds me of the devil himself (as in Amazon Primes "Lucifer" - always gentle, nice looking but deep inside EVIL): I received a job opprtunity which is quite tempting. Interesting task, startup within the company (aka good mentality) but it still is a SLOWLANE job...

Maybe I take it and surely do proceed to work on my fastlane exit #1 (killing that slowlane job) and progress from there. But it's interesting to see what it does with ones mind. Opportunity arises - mind says "stop all other things - full ahead to this opportunity". From this you can see I'm a classical type 7 (the enthusiast) personality. Def need to work on this "mindset" thing

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
btw... just read the title of this post again - I'm not a middleaged father of 2 changing lanes

BUT instead

a middleaged father of two, who is changing lanes

:);)

If that's your pic in your avatar, you don't look "middle-aged" -- more like 28.

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Hello Neighbour,

Welcome to the forum!

Good to see you actually taking a lot of action. Looking forward to see more of this in your action journal!

Herzliche grüße

Danke :) Yes, definitely need to set this up (and link it in my footer) soon. Groeten aan de buurman

If that's your pic in your avatar, you don't look "middle-aged" -- more like 28.

*lol* very kind of you @MJ DeMarco - In fact I also feel like 28 (maybe not at times, when my kids exhaust me all weekend long but generally speaking - yes)

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Interesting. I just re-read my introduction after exactly 4 years. And you know, what happened in the meantime? Nearly nothing. How lame!

But I am currently reading the Great Rat Race escape and it reminded me that I still am a member of this forum.

The book reminds me of how much I am still in the rat race. Still stupid politics, morons around me, limiting beliefs everywhere.

So instead of complaining and doing all this sidewalk talk again (indirectly or directly accusing others) I will do what I have seen as a good recipe for success elsewhere in this community. I now make this some kind of journal.

Since 2017 when I initially introduced myself to the forum, I have created a few things:
  • a podcast and blog called ProcurementZen which now has a few episodes (30+) online and about 20,000 downloads (but over the course of 3 years which is next to nothing)
  • a very small list, which however is not very responsive
  • a mid sized LinkedIn following (my podcast blog is b2b)
  • a YouTube channel with a very overseeable audience (<50 subs)
In regards to knowledge or systems I can share with my audience, this is what I have developed in my profession (enterprise procurement) over the past 4 years:
  • an organization maturity system based on storytelling. Basically the question how mature is the organization for a professional negotiation expert / procurement team? It has 5 levels and different kinds of storytelling happen on each level and help you to the next level (happy to share, if anyone is interested)
  • product ideas (courses) to help people reach the next level
  • started to work already on the entry level course
but more on that later...

So here's what I will do (and journal in this post):
  • do a 5 to 8 minute episode every morning for the next 50 days (have already brainstormed 50 topics I could talk about in my podcast)
  • record these morning sessions as live streams to my YouTube channel
  • proceed in finishing my first course
Here are some revenue generating ideas I have (feedback highly appreciated):
  • I want to create an online course (self hosted, I don't want to be relying on Teachable & Co and definitely not on Udemy). Does that still work?
    • My take is this: Although it is not repeat business - no one buys a course twice - I think it is very scalable and gets me out of the consulting trap
    • Price point would be around $150 - $200 / course. That's something I know people are happy to spend, especially if it's good quality (which I aim for)
  • I also consider a business novel (like "The Goal" or MJ's "Great Rat Race escape ". A buyer going through the different levels of my maturity system. Could be one book for the whole system or a series, one book for each level (5 in total)
  • Eventually create a community of professional buyers that is not your standard "business club" which in my industry is only a promotional platform for consultants and software providers.
Let's go!

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
July 12, 2021

So this morning I turned on my computer, after I have prepared a script yesterday. Basically I created a 10 minute video and audio file and streamed it to you YouTube

Then I uploaded the audio to my podcasting host to publish it as a new episode in my existing podcast.

Also shared the video to my LinkedIn network.

It was quite interesting, because I had some technical difficulties to come around (first I couldn't hear anything, although I have used the same setup than multiple times before, then I also was missing a sufficient visual to support my intro)

What was interesting for me, that I focused on the limited time I had available and hence worked with what I have. Rather than making it perfect, I wanted to get it out, so this what I did.

Tonight I will script the next episode and - if I find time - finetune my design a little bit, so it is more appealing.

Discovery of the day

Focus on what provides the most value which may be different than what "makes it perfect"

Task(s) of the day
  1. write script for tomorrows episode
  2. continue to work on online course, especially the scripts for the lesson videos
See you tomorrow!

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 13th, 2021

100px_idea (2).png
Phil's Brain Ramblings

Second episode published. Today it went much smoother than yesterday, because I prepared a script yesterday already. I also use this script when I embed the content to my website.

In addition, it was interesting to see, that I felt like I was looking forward to work on this today. But at the same time, I find lots of other things, that also need to be done - tidy up the room, wipe the desk etc. These are things are usually procrastinate over, but now they seem to be interesting.

Maybe the fear of my "rat brain" to leave its comfort zone.

100px_achievement.png
Yesterdays tasks / achievements

Also on yesterdays tasks, here's what I could accomplish:
  1. write script for tomorrows episode --> I did this yesterday afternoon, DONE
  2. continue to work on online course, especially the scripts for the lesson videos --> worked on the script (finalizing the content) for module one, lesson 3, DONE
100px_discovery.png
Discovery of the day

Don't let your rat brain get into the way of your success.

100px_task (1).png
Tasks for today
  1. Finish the script for tomorrows episode and for Thursdays episode
  2. Write the final script for online course, moduel 1, lesson 3
See you tomorrow!

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 14th, 2021
1626251237034.png
Phil's brain ramblings

It was interesting to do the work yesterday. First I thought "Ough, Phil, doing the same mistake again... You want too much too fast.." (having to write 2 episode scripts and 1 online course script, see previous post).

But once I got into it, it really flowed. So my basic idea is to see how can I max out my energy? At which level is it just too much? And then scale down a little bit to find out if I could stay on this achievement (or task) level consistently.

Also, when I did my podcast / YouTube livestream recording this morning, I recorded 12 minutes of good content just to find out, that I didn't activate my microphone on my USB switch.

1626251427803.png

Led to a new discovery, see below.

One other thing, that really gives me energy is my hatred for the rat race. I really am so sick of this whole political thing, these limiting people with their stupid behaviour especially in my work life. This somehow also fuels my energy to get out of there. Strong it is in this one, the dark side, as Yoda would potentially say...

Let me know in this thread if I should write a little bit more about the current situation and how I plan to get out of there.

1626251476844.png

Yesterday's tasks / achievements

These are my achievements as of today
  1. Finish the script for tomorrows episode and for Thursdays episode --> DONE
  2. Write the final script for online course, moduel 1, lesson 3 --> DONE
1626251585165.png
Discovery of the day

Create a quick podcasting / streaming checklist to make sure, not to forget such important things as "turn on that DAMN microphone"

1626251677100.png

Tasks for today

Today I give myself some more tasks, see explanation above.
  1. Finish the scripts for Friday, Saturday and Sunday​
  2. Record episodes for Saturday and Sunday, schedule them (they will not be live)​
  3. Record the first lesson (module 01, lesson 01) on production quality​
  4. Create a podcasting and livestreaming checklist​
  5. Create another scene in OBS for sharing presentation content​

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 15th, 2021

1626331375936.png
Phils brain ramblings

Yesterday was a touch one. I though I couldn't fulfill all the tasks but finally I did. What really helped is to announce it early to my wife (she was ok with it) as well as writing the single tasks down and pin them to my whiteboard. Making it physical (or real) always seems to help me. Once a task was done, I took it from the board and threw it in the trashcan.

I also played around with some green screen for my course lesson recording, as I have a decent camera I'm using (Logitech Brio 4k) as well as a pop up green screen. Played around with OBS and Camtasia whereas the latter one delivered slightly better results. At one point I also thought how to optimize it more, but then I stopped to the the "thing done".

Yesterday in my main job I once again had so many stupid discussions with morons and cowards, that it just fuels my motivation more and more. So many idiots in this rat race and everyone seems to fool each other. I also get a few job offers here and there but right now, I tend to see them as "bribes from the script". Why the heck should I change jobs just to do the same shit with the same morons somewhere else? No, Sir, thank you!

1626331713664.png
  • Finish the scripts for Friday, Saturday and Sunday --> DONE
  • Record episodes for Saturday and Sunday, schedule them (they will not be live) --> DONE
  • Record the first lesson (module 01, lesson 01) on production quality --> DONE
  • Create a podcasting and livestreaming checklist --> DONE
  • Create another scene in OBS for sharing presentation content --> DONE
One thing I forgot to mention in this list, that I also do my daily episodes (podcast / YouTube) for weekdays where I live stream. Happens every day and it's interesting to see, that it becomes easier after a short few days

1626331883482.png
Discovery of the day

Perfect is the enemy of DONE!

1626331926459.png
Tasks for today

Unfortunately my time is limited today, as I do have a bi-weekly appointment on Thursday evening. But if that doesn't work out, I will execute on the tasks listed as optional below
  1. Start editing the lesson (cutting mainly for now) so that 50% are done (100% as optional)​
  2. Start to revisit ARM (Autoresponder Madness by Andre Chaperon) once more - I want to get more people on my emial list and this course teaches how to engage with them and motivate them to subscribe: 50% is a must (100% as optional)​

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 16th, 2021
1626436109922.png
Phils brain ramblings

Ok, so yesterday, I didn't make it, not at all. Rat race job was extremely challenging yesterday (but this is not an excuse) and I only read 2 chapters of ARM and didn't touch the lesson edit at all.

I also uploaded this weekends episodes (to Podcast, YouTube, Website), which doesn't sound like a lot but was an hour of work. Analyzing it, I think, this is something, that should be outsourced. I know how to do it and will spend some time to create an SOP (Standard Operating Process). My time - once I am at that stage - is too valuable and should be used for creating assets in my business rather than fiddling around with uploades etc.

I also will not post on the weekends here, as I will be away and pre-produced the episodes for Sat and Sun already.

I also will continue to read about Jeff, Sam and how they become unscripted , because this story is really so amazing.
1626436336607.png
  • Start editing the lesson (cutting mainly for now) so that 50% are done (100% as optional) --> not touched at all
  • Start to revisit ARM (Autoresponder Madness by Andre Chaperon) once more - I want to get more people on my emial list and this course teaches how to engage with them and motivate them to subscribe: 50% is a must (100% as optional) --> only 2 lessons completed
1626436462579.png
Discovery of the day

Outsourcing is key business decision (did't consider this anytime soon).

1626436532017.png
Tasks for the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
  • execute on the homework in ARM (create an empathy map and a customer avatar)​
  • write script for Mondays episode​
Have a fantastic weekend everyone :)

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 19th, 2021
1626702913171.png
Phils brain ramblings

I pre produced the weekends episodes and found, that the download numbers for the podcast, which I consider my "main marketing vehicle" are going down over the weekend. This sparked the idea of doing episodes only on business days. I will follow my approach to publish daily for a few more weeks to see, if the assumption is confirmed (3A approach in full swing so to say ;) )

In addition, I also don't know if YouTube is really worth it. One thing I need to test there is to adjust it more to YouTube SEO do see if it yields better results. The 3A however there is the same as with the "weekend discovery" - I will go on for a few more weeks to have reliable data.

I also changed the tasks I was doing over the weekend slightly. From adjusting my marketing approach (define a customer persona & empathy map) towards cutting the video. Why did I do that? Because I simply thought that going towards completion of my product is more valuable than building a marketing funnel (although building an email list of course is of crucial importance as well).

Also closing out in reading the Great Rat Race Escape and it is a fantastic book. Once I'm done with it, I think I will read it again to make an action plan out of it. But up until now, it really provided huge insights together with touching me deeply emotionally (but I will share my reflection in the "I have read... " thread).
1626703565613.png
  • execute on the homework in ARM (create an empathy map and a customer avatar) --> changed this to cut the first lesson of the online course (see above), DONE
  • write script for Mondays episode --> DONE
1626703765476.png
Discovery of the day

Monitor YouTube audience reach and podcast audience reach over the weekend to watch out for improvements in process.
1626703832638.png
Tasks for today
  • Finish module 1 lesson 1 and upload to video hosting provider (Vimeo)
  • write scripts for Tuesday and Wednesday
Any feedback, especially on the change from "marketing" to "product creation" as described above would be highly appreciated.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Welcome Phil!

because of all this f*ckin' (sorry) politics, who knows whom, who's kissing which a$$ and that performance is simply not valued.

This feeling will pass when you start a worthwhile project on the side. Good job on getting started and will keep a lookout for your progress. Always be wary of 'acting busy' by having lots of to-do lists!

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 20th, 2021
1626775482160.png
Phils brain ramblings

Yesterday I finished the lesson 01 and now am working on lesson number two, which will be recorded today. One thing I felt, is that I was really proud of the lesson and how it turned out (one of those pat yourself on the shoulder moments) BUT - and this is a biggie - don't fall in love with your product. At least not to a level that you are not willing to change if the a substantial response from the market asks for it.

Let me give you an example: I have been in enterprise procurement and negotiations for the past 20 yrs. One of the huge topics for nearly every buyer I met (and I new a few hundred over the course of time) is that
a) everyone in business thinks they can do negotiations (definitely not true)
b) procurement does not provide value add (which we do - massively in some cases)

Hence nobody wants to involve us and that is what my course is all about: how to get your message across for procurement people.

BUT, I have had some speaking gigs over the past years quite a few people asked, if I would like to introduce my "procurement perspective on negotiations" to sales people. What if the market demands that the audience is rather sales people compared to procurement people (much bigger TAM)?

I should be open to re-consider my audience focus with that in mind. This would mean I would have to redo some if not all of my course, as the scope is different.

This is what I mean by not falling in love with the product.

As I also re-subscribed to the FLF INSIDERS program, I read through this GOLD thread by @Valier - I am really impressed by his results, 800k+ subs by the time of this writing with "only" 16 videos? Jaw dropping! :jawdrop:

As I always liked YouTube and like the idea of the build a personal brand idea.

1626776171940.png
  • Finish module 1 lesson 1 and upload to video hosting provider (Vimeo) --> DONE
  • write scripts for Tuesday and Wednesday --> DONE
1626776238287.png
Discovery of the day

Don't fall too much in love with your product

1626776864315.png

Tasks for today
  • Write scripts for episodes on Thursday and Friday​
  • Record lesson 2 of the online course​

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 21st, 2021

1626890113831.png

Phils brain ramblings

So basically yesterday, I achieved nothing. I could now search for excuses, how I was not able, because I read through the amazing post by @Valier and his awesome YouTube success.

But this would only be half true. Everyone is the master of their own destiny. It was a deliberate decision, not to add another hour to the day to fulfill the tasks of yesterday.

So I will at least - for today - add the scripting task from yesterday. I do not know, if I find time to record another lesson, so I will skip that.

Right now, I feel somehow inbetween. Doing a little bit of that, and a little bit of this. I mean I do consistently publlish episodes and livestreams everyday, since 9 days. Podcast numbers are going definitely up, (see below) and I feel extremely honored, that there are 100+ people more or less everyday, that listen to my views on procurement and negotiations (I mean, how niche can you go?? :playful:)

1626889210990.png
This is pretty similar how amazed Valier was, wenn he got his first subscribers in his YouTube progression thread (at least I think it feels the same). And that brings me to another point.

I will now add a little bit of learning to my tasklist, because I want to do something similar to what he did just in my niche (negotiations). I have quite a few ideas and think I can kick off some high value documentary style videos for my niche. If I see the niche I see rather short and promotional videos or hours without end videos that have good content but are basically a recording of a university lecture (not easy to consume and definitely not favoring the algo, I think).

But as @Andy Black in that very YouTube thread said as well, hustling also has a place in this. I think I am getting better and better with my podcasting and livestreams so I will continue them as planned towards the 50th episode in a row, to acquire more skills in that area.

I think having the ability to kick off an episode quickly is a huge asset.

1626890128553.png

Ysterday tasks / achievements
  • Write scripts for episodes on Thursday and Friday --> FAILED
  • Record lesson 2 of the online course --> FAILED

1626890184375.png

Discovery of the day

My head feels foggy, about where this all will take me. But I will not find out if I don't try. Keep pushing!

1626890200558.png

Tasks for today
  • write scripts for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Any feedback?

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 22nd, 2021

1626988586663.png

Phil's brain ramblings

Did the episodes as planned from yesterday, so that task was achieved. I also enjoy doing my daily podcast / YouTube livestream. What is good, that my partner, with which I am doing the online course together, is also fully committed to the product, so it's good, we can split some of the work there.

But the feeling that occured yesterday still remains. Sometimes it feels like "too many options". Bought two Udemy courses yesterday, one on film making (extremely bad one, the lesson about scripts is 32 seconds long! :rage: ) and one about editing in Davinci Resolve which seems to be quite good. But on the other hand, no complaints, because they were dirt cheap and it was my deliberate decision to buy them. Can blame no one else but me and 1 out of two for 25 bucks is still a pretty good deal.

I also subscribed to Valiers Patreon, because of the scripts he provides and to support his efforts. I really think, I could do high quality video in my niche on YouTube in a similar documentary style. Nobody has done that so far and I will definitely will give this a try.

I think I just need to make sure, that I do not spread myself to thin. Start everything and finish nothing. I received my physical copy of "The Great Rat Race Escape " yesterday. I finished the book on my Kindle on Monday and now will read it again together with the audio book. And this time, apply the steps suggested by MJ (that's how I usually do it with non fiction books - buy the Kindle version first and read it, then buy the physical book so I can make annotations etc)

1626988599738.png

Yesterdays tasks / achievement
  • write scripts for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday --> DONE
1626988615783.png

Discovery of the day

Still foggy, so many options. Need to work through the Great Rat Race Escape again

1626988628113.png

Tasks for today
  • A very easy one: Read / listen through the first few chapter of MJs book and apply

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 23rd, 2021

1627073392054.png

Phils brain ramblings

Today I had an exhaustive day in my rat race job that once again how much I really hate it. As said before I am in procurement and do negotiations with our company's suppliers. And a good haggling is always worth the time.

But what I really hate, is when people start to think I am dumb and try to fool me. It annoys me even after 20 yrs in this job.

I started learning Davinci Resolve for video editing, because I want to make videos like Valier does, just in my niche. I also read through the scripts he shared with his Patreons (of which I am one).

Over the weekend I will try to digest how he does certain effects and follow through with the script in hand. Let's see if I can note down some of the discoveries that I can then use later on.

I also have a rough understanding of what my video will be (Influencing others) and it will be roughly based on a few good negotiation books I have read several times.

I also re-started MJs latest book and start to apply the principles in there.

In regards to podcast / livestreams, I think I reached a significant milestone, crossed the 20,000 download mark with a constant 80 to 100 people listening to me daily.

1627073448980.png

I will continue with the book and will also post episodes / livestreams over the weekend.

1627073373535.png

Yesterdays tasks / achievement
  • A very easy one: Read / listen through the first few chapter of MJs book and apply --> DONE
1627073336009.png

Discovery of the day
really no discoveries today :(

1627073325656.png

Tasks for the weekend

PhilKowalski

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Update as of July 26th, 2021

ps. this is going to be a longer post (approx. 8 min. read)

1627323560850.png

Phil's brain ramblings

So I did the homework / tasks I gave myself. It was amazing. I just read through from page 18 to page 68 and although I finsihed the book only a week ago, I like it more with every word I read. Looks like it's opening up new horizons and things now start to fit together even better (although I thought I had a good grasp on it already with my first read).

Let's dive into what I have done, here's my 1 / 5 / 10 Planasy.

First I present you the overview, before we dive deeper into it.
000 1-5-10-overview.jpg

Here's my 10 year vision:
001 10 yrs.jpg
  • I want to have 10 bedroom house. This is big enough to host all my hobbies and allows me to have what I have always dreamed of - my own library. You know, one like in those old English castles. Green leather sofas, a nicely filled humidor (the only room in the house, where I am allowed to smoke) and dark wooden bookshelfs. It also would allow space for my business and especially for video maknig. A dedicated studio allows videos "on the fly".
  • I also want a swimming pool in the garden. Nothing to great but something where I can swim a little bit, read a book, relax etc. It has some nice wooden panels around it with some deck chairs and little bar.
  • I want 2 cars:
    • A Mercedes EQS: fully electric S class (do I need to say more?)
    • A Tesla Model X: because that's simply the only SUV I would ever drive and it can pull 2,000kgs (I love camping and need a car capable of pulling a decent caravan)
  • Vacation any time, anywhere and as long as we (my wife and I) want it. This could be nearby with the caravan, that could be half way around the world. Accomodation and travel will always be first class because we appreciate luxury
  • City trips as often as we want it. I already have been to Rome, New York, London, Bangkok and Paris. But I want to discover other great cities around the world, inhale their art, their lifestyle, how people live there because it widens my horizon.
  • Privat Pilot's License - since I was a kid I wanted to be a pilot. I love flying and have spent endless hours in Microsofts Flight Simulator (maybe my equivalent to other people's WoW addiction)
  • No more f***ing wake up calls at 6.30 am if I don't want them myself
  • Regular speaker on different stages around the world. How to influence people (or something like that)
  • Bestselling business book about my so called "procurement maturity index" - PMI (comparable to "The Goal" but a different concept explained)
  • Finished all 6 major marathons (Berlin, Chicago, Boston, London, Tokio - I already have New York)
  • FInished the Roth Challenge , an iron man triathlon (3.86km swimming, 180.2km cycling + a marathon)
  • Top 10 procurement blog and podcast as a vehicle for my creative "business" juices
  • Expert hobbyist guitar player - this means I can play the guitar, which I am currently learning, pretty good but I don't want to make this a profession. Just pick the guitar and play a song, sing a little, if I feel like it

Here' s my 5 year vision:
002 5 yrs.jpg
  • no more being employed
  • my company a successful and self-sustaining business: This will be the vehicle of my success. At the moment (this might change) I consider this the road to success because that's what I am an expert in and have confidence in speaking about.
  • 3 of the 6 major marathons finished
  • 3 triathlons finished (olympic distance - 1.5km swimming, 40km cycling, 10km running)
  • a business email list with 50,000 subscribers: I think this is an important asset to my company (as to any company). A nurtured and well developed list, a tribe of people who see me as their trusted advisor
  • my own software / app in the negotiation / procurement space developed and launched. I Have so many great ideas in this space, that would solve quite a few problems in my space but these rat race suckers simply won't let me develop it, because it touches their ego, that it's not their idea and they cannot claim it as such
  • min 3 paid speaking gigs a year
  • regular street performances with my guitar
  • #1 procurement podcast in the world (use that to also grow the blog itself to new levels)
Here's my 1 year vision:
003 1 yr.jpg
  • My Level 1 and Level 2 courses (of the aforementioned PMI) successfully created and launched
  • Berlin marathon finished
  • ridden 1,500km on the bike: especially if you want to go into triathlon, there's usually one discipline you hate. I guess for me that's cycling. So I have to start here to bite my way to the first triathlon later
  • Fullstack Developer Course (currently doing that on codecademy) finished and certified
  • email list with 5,000 subscribers
  • 1,000,000 views on YouTube negotiation / influencing documentary - the Valier style so to say
  • 3 speaking gigs landed (1 is already booked as of today)
  • Level 5 guitar player which means I can basically pick any song I like and play it after some practice
  • 1,000 downloads a day of my podcast (currently I average 105 since I started my journaling here on July 11th, 2021
Here's my 30 day vision (on August 25th, 2021):
004 30 days.jpg
  • Level 1 course module 1 finsihed
  • run 3 times a week
  • new bike purchased or purchase initiated (depend on delivery time)
  • Fullstack Developer course 15% finished
  • Autoresponder Madness (ARM) 50% implemented: this means I executed half of the exercises of the course while of course prior to execution having consumed the lessons
  • First YouTube documentary (about negotiation / influencing) scripted
  • Level 2 guitar player (play the songs I already have exercise sheets for fluently)
  • 25,000 podcast downloads in total (current number at the time of writing: 20,389). With my current download rate (105 / day) I would need 44 days so I need to find a way to promote the podcast more and increase download numbers
Phew, that's a long list and especially the 30 days goal seems ambitious, but doable. Nobody said it's going to be easy and - as you may have recognized from the marathon "theme" throughout this list - endurance is key here. And yes, it will be hard and painful, but once you cross that first finish line, the feeling is fantastic.

1627323701732.png

Weekend tasks / achievement

1627323717843.png

Discovery of the day

Look, mum, I have a plan

1627323747895.png

Tasks for tomorrow

• Read until chapter 15 the escape number strategy (pg 78)
  • Calculate the escape numbers
  • Run a 3k (to get into it again)
  • Script podcast episodes 48 to 51 (until Friday)
  • Brainstorm topics for YouTube documentary

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.