The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

They said it was the safe path...

Gordon Bombay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hi all,

I've been stalking this forum creepily while breathing heavy for the last year or so and decided that today was the day to come out of the shadows :cool:.

About me: I'm 28 and currently in law enforcement. I'm going on five years now in it and it's been interesting to say the least. While I'd love to say it's been great, the truth is that it's really been a ton of frustration with some fleeting moments of satisfaction in between. I have had some very close FTE's. I have two degrees in criminal justice which have felt more like a weight lately as I have so much invested in this job. Most days, I desperately want to get out of it but I just feel really stuck. My real interest is real estate and I recently got my real estate license and became an agent. I thought it would be a good first step to ultimately becoming a real estate investor and learn, which it has been, but it's been a bit of a struggle to find the time for it as it's not uncommon for me to work 60 hours a week in my job, which includes working overnight. The one thing that I know is that I never want to have a boss again after this job however, the lures of the "safe" job are strong to say the least at this current time despite knowing it's not really safe at all.

Why I'm here: The simple answer is to interact with and learn from like minded people interested in entrepreneurship and related topics. I read the Millionaire Fastlane about a year ago and can't say I've been the same since. I read a ton of business/finance books and and MJ's book was the first one that really opened my eyes to the slow lane. It's very hard to see for yourself when everyone around you is in it and preaching it and i'm extremely grateful the book was written. I really did a lot of thinking during/after reading the book and realized that I was lied to about the slow lane my whole life. I just really want to get away from everybody around me constantly preaching slow lane/mediocrity and surround myself with the type of people I've seen post on this forum. I've always wanted to own a business but unfortunately, I've never acted on it and have very little experience with it.

I look forward to being a member in this community and learning. I really hope that I can add some value to this community as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hey @Gordon Bombay

I also work in the field and thank you for your service.

I definitely understand some of the difficulties of incorporating your real estate business while working as an LEO. The long hours and nights definitely make time a commodity.

It is great that you have a fundamental understanding of the MTF principles now and kudos for you in seeing that the slowlane will not be an option for obtaining a higher level of wealth and freedom.

One of the weaknesses I find of working in the LEO community is that the majority of your friends are also LEO's based on the type of work and shift schedule. Obviously these are great people, but it is hard to breakout from the pack when everyone is doing the same thing and focused on the same lifestyle goals. I am no expert at this, but I am always looking for opportunities to meet new people and create a network of people who are pursuing fastlane opportunities.

I am still a rookie in terms of the fastlane lifestyle. I have definitely made a ton of progress over the last few months, but have a long way to go in achieving true wealth and freedom. If you ever want to discuss ideas and lifestyle goals, please feel free to PM me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello and thanks for the introduction, and for your service as a LEO.

I really did a lot of thinking during/after reading the book and realized that I was lied to

If TMF made you think about being lied to, wait until you read Unscripted .

Hope to cya around!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
what dont you like about the job? seems like one of the best careers to pursue

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada

I don't want to take away from the introductory post as that should be the focal point. Some of the negative things to consider in this profession are:

1. Danger (especially in the US compared to Canada)
2. Politics
3. Effects of Night Shift On Your Body
4. "Voluntary" Overtime
5. Commitment of Time

I do think there are a ton of positives as well, mind you. In the end, this is still a JOB. For most people, it is an amazing profession and absolutely one to be proud of. For those that want to create bigger things, I do think that they would find there are a lot of things lacking in this type of profession.

AlwaysWright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Thank you for your service. My husband is also an LEO and it's not easy. There are many times when he wishes he would have chosen something else but he's pretty close to retirement now so he will more than likely pursue a second career post retirement. Best of luck to you.

Gordon Bombay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hey @Gordon Bombay

I also work in the field and thank you for your service.

I definitely understand some of the difficulties of incorporating your real estate business while working as an LEO. The long hours and nights definitely make time a commodity.

It is great that you have a fundamental understanding of the MTF principles now and kudos for you in seeing that the slowlane will not be an option for obtaining a higher level of wealth and freedom.

One of the weaknesses I find of working in the LEO community is that the majority of your friends are also LEO's based on the type of work and shift schedule. Obviously these are great people, but it is hard to breakout from the pack when everyone is doing the same thing and focused on the same lifestyle goals. I am no expert at this, but I am always looking for opportunities to meet new people and create a network of people who are pursuing fastlane opportunities.

I am still a rookie in terms of the fastlane lifestyle. I have definitely made a ton of progress over the last few months, but have a long way to go in achieving true wealth and freedom. If you ever want to discuss ideas and lifestyle goals, please feel free to PM me.
Thanks for the kind words bro! Thank you for your service as well. You are 100 % right with the LEO community. There are a lot of great people in it but overall, it can be very hard to pull away from the pack in terms of trying something new or different. I definitely look forward to talking with you.

Gordon Bombay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hello and thanks for the introduction, and for your service as a LEO.

If TMF made you think about being lied to, wait until you read Unscripted .

Hope to cya around!

Thanks MJ! I am actually almost done with Unscripted as well :wideyed:. Awesome book. I can't thank you enough for writing both of them. Definitely changed the way I look at things for sure. I look forward to being around here !

Gordon Bombay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown
@Dunkafelics hit the nail on the head and said it better than I could've myself. While there have been a lot of positive experiences and opportunities that have come with it that I would never take back or change which includes the people in it, it has a way of totally taking over your life. You end up missing out on a lot (birthdays, holidays, weddings etc.) and at some point start to question whether it's worth it. The guy coming in for the shift behind you on Christmas day calls out "sick" 30 minutes before you're supposed to go home? You're stuck working his shift now. You want to take a Saturday night off in the summer with one of those precious vacation days you earned? no chance-denied due to low manpower. It's really a roller coaster of liking and hating it, at least in my experience. There's a reason the divorce and alcoholism rates in it are through the roof.

Gordon Bombay

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown
Thank you for your service. My husband is also an LEO and it's not easy. There are many times when he wishes he would have chosen something else but he's pretty close to retirement now so he will more than likely pursue a second career post retirement. Best of luck to you.
Thanks @AlwaysWright ! I'm sure you can totally understand what I'm saying then. Congratulations to your husband (well almost :)).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...