The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Idea threads

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
Hello guys, I'm a trader and already save 20k, I'm looking for a business to have a consistent income. In trading the things are not linear and I'm gonna have some red months but I'm looking for an idea to have that permanent income to stay more relax. I've been thinking on starting with vending machines but still no sure, also could save a little more to have the down payment for an airbnb but only 1 airbnb is risky so. What would you do to make a regular passive income with 20k ? Thanks you all

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello guys, I'm a trader and already save 20k, I'm looking for a business to have a consistent income. In trading the things are not linear and I'm gonna have some red months but I'm looking for an idea to have that permanent income to stay more relax. I've been thinking on starting with vending machines but still no sure, also could save a little more to have the down payment for an airbnb but only 1 airbnb is risky so. What would you do to make a regular passive income with 20k ? Thanks you all
Too little an amount to move the needle. You need minimum 200k to feel an impact.

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
Too little an amount to move the needle. You need minimum 200k to feel an impact.
Im not trying to make millions, um trying to make for the rent and food and here in chile is like 700 usd per month. With 200k i would be financially independent here

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Im not trying to make millions, um trying to make for the rent and food and here in chile is like 700 usd per month. With 200k i would be financially independent here
I feel like if I lived in a country like that I would focus on real-estate for critical things like little grocery stores where the tenant is most likely going to be stable and new competitors is hard (they'd have to convert surrounding buildings, etc.). Or exports (most likely something agricultural maybe as a wholesale/distributor but its not going to be passive). I'm not really sure of the resources your area has to utilize.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
If your expense is almost one k usd per month 20k is a good two years buffer.

You could use the money to up-skill and invest in yourself.

There is no way of you achieving financial independence for hitting a sum just worth ten years of your expense, assuming that you are not a terminally ill patient.

Financial independence, even by the lowest bar, means never need to at least work seriously for full time again.

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
If your expense is almost one k usd per month 20k is a good two years buffer.

You could use the money to up-skill and invest in yourself.

There is no way of you achieving financial independence for hitting a sum just worth ten years of your expense, assuming that you are not a terminally ill patient.

Financial independence, even by the lowest bar, means never need to at least work seriously for full time again.
200k is not ten years of expenses, it would be differents apartments to be financially free, but with 20k is not enough to buy one apartment

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
200k is not ten years of expenses, it would be differents apartments to be financially free, but with 20k is not enough to buy one apartment
I think its too early to think about getting any passive return with 20k. Invest in yourself instead.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 26, 2023

From the 3rd world country POV, I would suggest to look for a small corner or shop in a market.

20k USD can buy a small shop in my country too.

I would develop it by spending something less than 2k USD over it and then rent it out to some small business .. like a food cart or a grocery cart or whatever staple sells in your local market.

The rent might make you happy as a passive income but the increment in value of the real estate will be your true profit after a decade!

My 2 cents from the 3rd world nation!

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
From the 3rd world country POV, I would suggest to look for a small corner or shop in a market.

20k USD can buy a small shop in my country too.

I would develop it by spending something less than 2k USD over it and then rent it out to some small business .. like a food cart or a grocery cart or whatever staple sells in your local market.

The rent might make you happy as a passive income but the increment in value of the real estate will be your true profit after a decade!

My 2 cents from the 3rd world nation!
Thanks you, all ideas are appreciated

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
learn a skill first then monetize it, 20k is not enough to somehow make you richer by investing it in any endeavor unless you have some hard skills to pair it with.

I am a graphic designer, developer and also studied copywriting, marketing and psychology. I only needed 500$ to create a 6 figure business.

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
learn a skill first then monetize it, 20k is not enough to somehow make you richer by investing it in any endeavor unless you have some hard skills to pair it with.

I am a graphic designer, developer and also studied copywriting, marketing and psychology. I only needed 500$ to create a 6 figure business.
With all respect, maybe my post wasn't clear, but I'm already a trader, I'm not looking to make 6 figures business. I'm looking for something that give me 3 figures monthly and that's enough for me while I trade and I can cover for my monthly expenses and I think that 20k is enough, 200k is great but I'm not looking for that, I'm looking for cover my red month on trading.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
With all respect, maybe my post wasn't clear, but I'm already a trader, I'm not looking to make 6 figures business. I'm looking for something that give me 3 figures monthly and that's enough for me while I trade and I can cover for my monthly expenses and I think that 20k is enough, 200k is great but I'm not looking for that, I'm looking for cover my red month on trading.
Are you asking what you can buy for 20k that will somehow magically make you thousands a month? It's possible, but you're still going to have to grow it, which will take time. Hop on Flippa or a similar site and buy an online business. 20k is plenty to buy something with potential.

Otherwise, if you want to just "cover your red spots," idk, gamble? Find a part-time job until you have all "green months?"

Furthermore, you're going to struggle finding help here if you're limiting yourself right off of the bat. You're essentially telling people they shouldn't invest their time helping/advising you.

"Yeah, 200k is nice and all, but that's not what I want." Uh... so, you DON'T want to make as much money as you can? Why be here then? Just keep trading and eventually you won't have "red months." You don't need our help for that.

This entire thread is confusing and seemingly pointless.

Cheers.

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
Are you asking what you can buy for 20k that will somehow magically make you thousands a month? It's possible, but you're still going to have to grow it, which will take time. Hop on Flippa or a similar site and buy an online business. 20k is plenty to buy something with potential.

Otherwise, if you want to just "cover your red spots," idk, gamble? Find a part-time job until you have all "green months?"

Furthermore, you're going to struggle finding help here if you're limiting yourself right off of the bat. You're essentially telling people they shouldn't invest their time helping/advising you.

"Yeah, 200k is nice and all, but that's not what I want." Uh... so, you DON'T want to make as much money as you can? Why be here then? Just keep trading and eventually you won't have "red months." You don't need our help for that.

This entire thread is confusing and seemingly pointless.

Cheers.
Even the best trader in history had red month, it is a probabilities game, it doesn't matter how good are you in trading, red months are inevitable. And I'm not talking about magic formula to make thousands of dollar, I already said that 700 usd is enough and I told the vending machine examples because it is a good option for me and I'm not worry about operate them. The point of this post is not make the much money as I can, it is make a small amount of money but safer than other investments, 700 usd of 20k is just 3.5% and I'm not trying to make me rich with vending, I'm going to be millionaire by trading and real estate but meanwhile it's gonna be much easier to have a small passive income since trading is a lot psychological.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
the vending machine examples because it is a good option for me and I'm not worry about operate them.
But it isn't a good option for you. Once again, it sounds like you want something that's going to generate income for you without you having to put in time/work.

That simply isn't feasible unless you're purchasing an already established business.

Your vending machine example:

* Someone still has to consistently stock the items
* Someone has to collect money
* Someone has to handle maintenance
* Someone has to handle location selection
* Someone has to run data on product performance per location
* Someone has to do product selection per location
* Etc.

Sure, you COULD just buy some vending machines, put whatever bullshit in them you find, and hope they make you money, but at that point, you're just playing the lottery.

Cheers.

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
But it isn't a good option for you. Once again, it sounds like you want something that's going to generate income for you without you having to put in time/work.

That simply isn't feasible unless you're purchasing an already established business.

Your vending machine example:

* Someone still has to consistently stock the items
* Someone has to collect money
* Someone has to handle maintenance
* Someone has to handle location selection
* Someone has to run data on product performance per location
* Someone has to do product selection per location
* Etc.

Sure, you COULD just buy some vending machines, put whatever bullshit in them you find, and hope they make you money, but at that point, you're just playing the lottery.

Cheers.
I got your point but it is the idea of the post and I really appreciate your opinion, the debate it is the heart of the forum, thank you

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
700 usd per month
Can you post a link of an apartment for less than $700? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious to know what you get for that price.

How much would that aparment cost? Would 20K be a good down payment? Can you get a mortgage?

The corner store others suggested doesn't sound too bad, either.

Or, can you open an account and invest on some US stocks, bonds and reits?

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
Can you post a link of an apartment for less than $700? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious to know what you get for that price.

How much would that aparment cost? Would 20K be a good down payment? Can you get a mortgage?

The apartment that i lived cost 400 usd per month, has 2 bedrooms + 1 bathroom and living room. Maybe sound cheaps for you but the minimum salary here is 460 usd

For now investment in us stock is not an option for me because the market is really high, I'm gonna wait a crash or something to put some money there

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
No such thing as passive or safe.

Take some risk and get active.

Unless you're 75 years old and can't move - you've got no business seeking safety or passivity.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BOTH SGOV and BIL yield 5.3%, completely passive and paying monthly. It's 3 month US Treasury which in basic finance supposedly is the "risk free" rate.

I use these two to pay off my 2.25% mortgage.

However, the way government spending has become, I'd argue it isn't risk free at all, and has substantial default risk.

At some point I will start taking money off the table and throwing it into something more tangible.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 26, 2023

You can buy a 1000 sq feet condo in the corner of my city for approx 60K USD.

They usually generate a rental of $250 - $300 monthly. The tenant usually pays for the minimum maintenance of the property.

Commercial properties in the same corner of the city, would cost around $45k to $50k for approx 250 sq feet shop and would generate a rental of approx $350 monthly.

Rental usually rises by 10% annually as a standard norm if a contract is signed for upto 5 yrs or so!

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
The apartment that i lived cost 400 usd per month, has 2 bedrooms + 1 bathroom and living room. Maybe sound cheaps for you but the minimum salary here is 460 usd
Not cheap or expensive, I just wanted to get an idea of what it looks like. Is this in Santiago or somewhere else?

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
How much is a similar apartment? You mentioned Real Estate, do you want to be a landlord?

How much do you need to put down? Can you get a mortgage?
Probabli 120k, it would be a good option if I would buy it on 30 years, beside that invest in only one apartment it is too risky because find a good tenant it is not that easy

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
Probabli 120k, it would be a good option if I would buy it on 30 years, beside that invest in only one apartment it is too risky because find a good tenant it is not that easy
Unless you have enought to buy more than one property at once, you need to start with one.

But buying a $120K property to rent it out for $400 a month is a terrible investment.
At 0%, your monthly payment would be almost $300 and I really doubt you can get a 0% 30 year mortgage. That's not even considering the cost of insurance, HOA, maintenance and repairs, etc.
I would look at cheaper properties or something else (short term rentals?), at least for now.

Last edited:

gnzsnhz98

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2021
Unless you have enought to buy more than one property at once, you need to start with one.

But buying a $120K property to rent it out for $400 a month is a terrible investment.
At 0%, your monthly payment would be almost $300 and I really doubt you can get a 0% 30 year mortgage. That's not even considering the cost of insurance, HOA, maintenance and repairs, etc.
I would look at cheaper properties or something else, at least for now.
I agree, i will consider to buy a site near a touristic city and save more to build airbnb's, it is cheaper, it's gonna be more work but for now seems like the better option

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.