The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Youtube Project

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Hey everyone! This idea is not as fancy as others but I think it's interesting enough to deserve it's own thread. This is what I'm going to concentrate on for 2017.

Make money on Youtube with instructional videos. Monetization is quite easy - AdSense ads.

It could be on anything. For example, a Google Docs tutorial. Or a tutorial on passing the GED. Literallyl anything.

One challenge I'm going to have is getting traffic. Every niche is taken! Do I go after niches where there are barely any views? Or do I try to assault ones that are already occupied? :)

I'm going to use QuickTime, which I've already experimented with. It's bare bones but it's a start. Also a little bit of iMovie. Eventually I'll purchase Camtasia ($300).

I like goals because they make me accountable. My goal for this project is to get to 100 videos and then reevaluate. I think a big part of this is simply volume - I need to keep pumping out quality videos.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
It could be on anything. For example, a Google Docs tutorial. Or a tutorial on passing the GED. Literally anything.

Do you know any successful channels that put out videos on "literally anything"? Are you an authority or expert of "literally anything?"

Pick something you know, are good at and are able to teach. That's your niche.

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
@Waspy I hear what you are saying. But there are tons of Youtubers out there who just do video tutorials on software. It's a model that works. I'm pretty interested in learning new things as well.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
Most new successful channels need hours of editing and excellent camera equipment to grow in a niche market.
I've watched a guy spend thousands on equipment and spend hours on videos to grow to approximately 180k subs in the niche of food challenges.
If he were to use a terrible camera and do no editing, he wouldn't have grown. He also worked hard to make connections and do videos where multiple channels are involved.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
One thing that strikes me on Youtube is the number of quality vids that get next to no views or interaction. Rather than focus on getting 100 videos listed you would be better off spending more time doing in-depth research on which videos give you the best chance of high view and strong visibility and then creating 6-10 videos putting the rest of your time into learning how to market them. Once you have cracked that you can increase your portfolio with a far better idea of what will work and what won't.

Remember the 80/20 principle. 80% of your revenue will come from 20% or fewer of your videos. A scattergun approach is seldom the most lucrative or efficient way.

TonyFish6379

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 27, 2016
Kuwait
Let me play Devil's Advocate for a second here.
Just had an idea that could assist.

What if you took the approach of - Shotgunning topics in an attempt to entertain viewers? Aim your entire youtube approach at learning along with viewers.

"InstantNoodle's or (Insert Youtube title) YouTube channel to learn everything on the planet."

Single handed attempt at learning everything - Like a variety channel for the masses. You would really have to entertain topics that are not the norm though..

Let me ask, how are you in front of a camera? Engaging? Entertaining?
I would do some test runs and show them to people outside your circle that would give you an impartial criticism.

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm just experimenting. You see the stats of the guy up there. I want to replicate what he does - mode myself on someone "successful'.

This project is also practice for me taking action. I've been a slacker lately.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Make money on Youtube with instructional videos. Monetization is quite easy - AdSense ads.

It could be on anything. For example, a Google Docs tutorial. Or a tutorial on passing the GED. Literallyl anything.

I don't believe you will ever make any considerable amount of money by doing literally anything.

But since you are willing to, you could make niche B.S. videos like this guy WowShow who got 281K subscribers in little over 3 months (I don't know his full story or how he promoted it though).

I would invest more time on selling something of your own, have an online shop or shomething so that your income doesn't depend only on adsense.
Adsense can be a great side income but it's never reliable because you can get banned at anytime and your money goes to hell overnight.

You gotta have control on your income sources.

tristano

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 31, 2015
Where I can find how much is the income for these youtube video producers? Here in italy, youtubers say they don't earn so much money as people could think but i often watch them showing their new cars, new expensive video equipments, travelling top exotique places and so on.
Thanks for writing down info.
@InstantNoodles as TonyFish6379 suggest, I think you have to videorecord for try and ask for criticism on them, if you don't have a niche, I think you'll find it on the road as often it happened for youtubers!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Let me give you an idea for a video :p

4.3 million views in 2 days

Last edited:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Putting aside the issues with the idea of investing in YT itself (use forum search. TL;DR-it's a bad idea), your scatter-shot approach isn't a great idea because it adversely affects your monitization, because you cannot provide highly prequalified leads.

So, a channel about cooking might only have 50,000 subs, and get an average of 200,000 views per video.

But that channel is going to make like $1,000+ per video, while a channel that has a mix of different "funny" videos with 300,000 subs averaging 1,000,000 views a piece, but with no common theme between them except laughs, will earn about the same amount, despite much higher effort to grow the channel.

That's because it's easy to sell a blender or high-end knives or cookie sheets to the cooking channel's customers. Maybe only 10,000 of the 200,000 watch a whole ad, but of those, 500 buy. Also, Sabatier or Oster will be happy to pay the cooks or give them free merchandise to have it seen on the channel. You won't get "sponsors" because they don't know that the same people interested in your videos this week will still be interested in the new one next week.

For the funny videos, maybe 50,000 watch the whole ad, but only 3 are interested in a car or headphones or whatever, so the advertiser takes a bath, and the channel makes no money.

Don't dabble. Focus, brand, and build.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
If you ever want to be successful you either have to be able to connect to an audience that is not in front of you.

1. You can be extremely entertaining which requires you to be very good in front of the camera.
  2. Provide incredible value - Better if you can portray your knowledge well through a camera
  3. Compile a bunch of videos together - basically post a compilation of funny videos... don't really have to do much here in front of camera.
  4. Be really good at video games

I mean, there are a lot of things you can do in terms of being a Youtuber. Fit your style into your channel.

Pro Tip - Know how you plan on gaining followers. Don't just EXPECT people to just find you and subscribe to you.

I used my streaming account to funnel people into my Youtube channel. Helped me get my feet off the ground.

I wouldn't start a Youtube channel, to make money off of Youtube though. Expect to make close to no money from Youtube. Your money will come from other streams of income that you have to create yourself.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Let me give you an idea for a video :p

4.3 million views in 2 days
r u F*ckin kidding me... that's it im deleting my youtube channel going to live in cave... this isn't a world i understand anymore

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.