The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Tesla and Electric Car Money-Saving Scam

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
Something I didn't see getting mentioned anywhere is tax deductibility.

Where I live - a fully electric car is 100% tax-deductible, whereas my current diesel car 50%. They are also exempt from road tax (1000€/year) and registration tax. Plus the government is subsidizing your charging station.

Not to mention there are certain cities where you are automatically fined if you enter them with a car that is exhausting CO2 above a certain level.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
Well, this has been very enlightening. I have been doing comparisons of electric vs gas within a few different groups. I was surprised that people I know who work in gas car manufacturing think that electric cars of the same size are cheaper overall. Online car groups have people who say electric is cheaper as well. So, I figured a group focused on making money would think that electric cars are more expensive. But, I was wrong. I'm getting the same thing here as other places: you can't compare a by size you need to compare to luxury cars!; you can't compare to anything under 400 horsepower!; or I get free charging so the car is free!

So, regardless of any information presented, it's obvious that the statement, "Electric cars are cheaper!" rings true with at least 75% of the people who have an opinion on the topic. I'm assuming many of the 95% of the world who are buying gas cars feel differently, but they don't seem to have as much opinion, knowledge, or the desire to discuss it.

One thing I learned is that this ridiculous Tesla stock price isn't going anywhere soon. I rode it up all year with my finger on the sell button, waiting for it to crash back down to were I estimated it should be based on sales. But, as we've seen in the market as a whole, sales does not equal stock price! Just look at the cruise lines.

Also, since most people I've talked to think electric vehicles are cheaper, that means they'll keep buying them, so the chargers will become more widely placed, lithium stocks will go up, more mechanics will learn how to fix them, and more parts will eventually be available in the junkyard. Aftermarket batteries will become available.

Personally, I feel everything mentioned in this thread is a waste of money. Anyway, how am I going to look in a fancy Tesla? Sometimes I'm wearing clothes covered in paint. How about a C8 Vette. Will my tools fit in the fronk? No, to me driving is not fun so I won't buy toys. I'll be buy the smallest vehicle that will carry me and my tools safely to my destination (yes, I have a work truck for hauling).

And, for the record, my $1000 Camry that goes 15-20k/yr is soon to be up for sale; for $1000. I've had it 10 years and have spent $89/mo for maintenance. That includes registration, tires, oil, and any repairs for both the car AND TRUCK. Electricity in my area is $0.09/KwH. Plus I could charge an electric car for free indefinitely as the garage power is paid for by the complex. I doubt they'd notice with all the mercury-vapor lamps they pay to keep lit. Still, I'll buy a gas car.

Thank you for your opinions!

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
Well, this has been very enlightening. I have been doing comparisons of electric vs gas within a few different groups. I was surprised that people I know who work in gas car manufacturing think that electric cars of the same size are cheaper overall. Online car groups have people who say electric is cheaper as well. So, I figured a group focused on making money would think that electric cars are more expensive. But, I was wrong. I'm getting the same thing here as other places: you can't compare a by size you need to compare to luxury cars!; you can't compare to anything under 400 horsepower!; or I get free charging so the car is free!

So, regardless of any information presented, it's obvious that the statement, "Electric cars are cheaper!" rings true with at least 75% of the people who have an opinion on the topic. I'm assuming many of the 95% of the world who are buying gas cars feel differently, but they don't seem to have as much opinion, knowledge, or the desire to discuss it.

One thing I learned is that this ridiculous Tesla stock price isn't going anywhere soon. I rode it up all year with my finger on the sell button, waiting for it to crash back down to were I estimated it should be based on sales. But, as we've seen in the market as a whole, sales does not equal stock price! Just look at the cruise lines.

Also, since most people I've talked to think electric vehicles are cheaper, that means they'll keep buying them, so the chargers will become more widely placed, lithium stocks will go up, more mechanics will learn how to fix them, and more parts will eventually be available in the junkyard. Aftermarket batteries will become available.

Personally, I feel everything mentioned in this thread is a waste of money. Anyway, how am I going to look in a fancy Tesla? Sometimes I'm wearing clothes covered in paint. How about a C8 Vette. Will my tools fit in the fronk? No, to me driving is not fun so I won't buy toys. I'll be buy the smallest vehicle that will carry me and my tools safely to my destination (yes, I have a work truck for hauling).

And, for the record, my $1000 Camry that goes 15-20k/yr is soon to be up for sale; for $1000. I've had it 10 years and have spent $89/mo for maintenance. That includes registration, tires, oil, and any repairs for both the car AND TRUCK. Electricity in my area is $0.09/KwH. Plus I could charge an electric car for free indefinitely as the garage power is paid for by the complex. I doubt they'd notice with all the mercury-vapor lamps they pay to keep lit. Still, I'll buy a gas car.

Thank you for your opinions!
You should get a used Chevy Bolt they have been around since 2016 and are extremely reliable and have comparable specs to a Camry. You can't compare a 300hp Tesla to a 20 year old camry but you can compare a 4 year old Bolt to a 4 year old Camry, I guarantee the cost of ownership will be less with an EV

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.