The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Simplicity of it All

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've lost about everything there is to lose money and materialism. Biggest lesson who is on your race team determines who changes your tires in the pit stop. You have the wrong team mates you end up losing. Loss is hard to take...now I lose it's like okay, that didn't work, why get upset about it, change what needs to be changed. Find new parts, find new team mates, out what's wrong and find something better. That really gets people pissed. When you don't get all bent out of shape. Don't allow the failure and loss get you or breed fear.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
With my friends, it's not that they're not hard workers or time wasters... but they have all have this incredible work ethic and simply don't know where to focus it in terms of a "big goal in life".

Something really life changing.

It's strange and frustrating. You want to see your friends do well.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Darren1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 13, 2014
Watching Joe Ades really brings a smile to my face. Here is a guy who knows exactly what he say and is not afraid to offer you JUST that. He is not trying to dazzle with extra features, he merely tells you every little thing that you can do with the knife and offers some showmanship. That brings it down to the basic sale level.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It is easy to start loving what you do once you get past the desert of desertion, which is where most dreams die. The hard part is developing the warrior mindset that gets you through this phase. If you can make it through that phase of doubt, anxiety, and uncertainty, you eventually make it through the desert and stumble upon the pond of massive drinking water. It's totally worth it.

You have such a way with words that it is tough to follow up. I think this desert is the part of the task that is most important for us to learn how to enjoy. You are correct that this is the point that most people give up. We have a difficult time with the big picture which makes us lose sight.

I used to hate vacancies in my apartments. I did not enjoy doing apartment turns and I had a fear of the money lost during the process. There are two ways that I took to combat this. The first one had to do with the realization that this is part of the game that I was playing. I put processes into place to try and help minimize the turn over but that would not make them go away. The second and bigger challenge became with turning the apartment in a cost effective way that would look real nice. This effort would help reduce the turnover as well.

I did all the turns for a while. This way I could see which of my ideas were going to make sense in the long run. Floors, countertops, moulding, etc...

This made it much more enjoyable for me.

Last edited:

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
It's funny how these posts always seem to pop up at the right time. More importantly, the more I learn, the more relevant some posts seem to be whereas maybe just a few days prior, I would've simply overlooked them.

@SteveO , your initial post is spot on. It's interesting to see how everyone agrees/disagrees about REI being "slowlane", and which aspects are considered "fastlane". I understand the arguments. Meanwhile, I'm left wondering how many are sincerely pursuing their "internet" fastlane business being that that's the biz of choice around these parts.

I just wrote a post the other week talking about how I finally raised enough money to get me started on my first rehab property. $200K LOC from two heavy hitters in my area... but it took me 5 year to gain their trust. Granted, I began talking about my interest in RE only two years ago, but look at where my persistent effort got me...

I used to work as a personal trainer in my past life. Having exercised/lifted weights since I was 13 years old, at 28 now, it's easy for me to look back and connect the dots. It's easy to tell people that anything worth pursuing is going to take time and effort. The challenge lies in having those people believe that their efforts WILL pay off if they do what needs to be done and stick to the program. I'm so fortunate to be able to template that reality and apply it to this new endeavor.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
With my friends, it's not that they're not hard workers or time wasters... but they have all have this incredible work ethic and simply don't know where to focus it in terms of a "big goal in life".

Something really life changing.

It's strange and frustrating. You want to see your friends do well.

When I was young, I would always try to introduce people to the fastlane way of life. I'd constantly push this way of thinking on my friends because I was convinced that it would help them. Most of the time, it would only create friction between me and the other person.

Then one day it hit me...who am I to tell people how to live their life? Who am I to think that my way of thinking is better than them?

Don't get me wrong, I want to see all of my friends do well...but I also realize that everyone is on their own path in life and I have no right to tell them what they should do. I'd rather let them follow their heart.

While everyone can read MJ's book and use it as a map towards the treasure chest, each of us must go in search of our own key.

Ultimately, everyone wants happiness. For some, happiness means selling your company for 9-figures while for others it means being able to paint the most amazing watercolor portraits of an African safari.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
When I was young, I would always try to introduce people to the fastlane way of life. I'd constantly push this way of thinking on my friends because I was convinced that it would help them. Most of the time, it would only create friction between me and the other person.

Then one day it hit me...who am I to tell people how to live their life? Who am I to think that my way of thinking is better than them?

Don't get me wrong, I want to see all of my friends do well...but I also realize that everyone is on their own path in life and I have no right to tell them what they should do. I'd rather let them follow their heart.

While everyone can read MJ's book and use it as a map towards the treasure chest, each of us must go in search of our own key.

Ultimately, everyone wants happiness. For some, happiness means selling your company for 9-figures while for others it means being able to paint the most amazing watercolor portraits of an African safari.

I didn't mean being fast lane, I meant focusing their awesome ethics into something that lead to a career, the bigger picture. Fastlane or not.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
ICK, I swear - you, zen, RogueInnovation and a few others are freakin philosophers.

It's kinda important to understand the deepest desires and motivations of the masses if you wish to sell them millions of widgets.

Most people just buy something then throw it up on ebay hoping it sells...Then they get angry and wonder why it's not selling like crazy. Like I keep saying, mindset is everything and there is definitely a spiritual side to business.

There is a reason why zen sells diet pills...

There is an endless supply of humans who want to feel loved, sexy, beautiful, valued, rich, secure, popular, fun.

Understand the animal that you are dealing with and you will never have a shortage of biz ideas. Most people don't understand others because they are so focused on themselves. The ability to listen and understand others is a lost art. Oh look, a squirrel!

Last edited:

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Understand the animal that you are dealing with and you will never have a shortage of biz ideas.

We talk a lot about needs, but often we don't get down to things at an instinctual level, which is the real need/problem to be solved. Most people are trying to solve:

-The need to look/feel sexy
-The need to feel secure
-The need to care for loved ones
-The need to look powerful/feel important
-The need to look/feel healthy
-The need for more/good/better sex and companionship
-The need to save time, or save money
-The need to make more money
-The need to understand who they are
-The need to be entertained/escape reality/relieve stress
(Notice how often the words look and feel appear)

Get down to the root instincts which drive all human behavior, and the possibilities are endless.

D

DeletedUser2

None of this is rocket science. There are processes from many that have made it which are laid out in DETAIL all over this forum.

FEAR, greed, expectations set so high you cant even see them, so many reasons for making it so complex.

some of the most successful people I know.... what do they do? not dream. they come in, work on the problem, then the next problem, then, the next problem, and one day, they wake up and realize they have more money than they ever thought they needed.

all they did was take 1 step and do it.

and repeat.

yes you guys overcomplicate things.

fear, expectations (whose tho) greed, things that drive you, to keep making poor decisions.

the sooner you can let go of all those things,

the faster you can make money

the zen of money making.

lose all expectations, then do the 1st step....

Z

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
FEAR, greed, expectations set so high you cant even see them, so many reasons for making it so complex.

some of the most successful people I know.... what do they do? not dream. they come in, work on the problem, then the next problem, then, the next problem, and one day, they wake up and realize they have more money than they ever thought they needed.

and repeat.

fear, expectations (whose tho) greed, things that drive you, to keep making poor decisions.

the zen of money making.

lose all expectations, then do the 1st step....

Z

As always spot on.

I'm not "there" yet, but I stopped overthinking everything and started my company. We've been in business for about a month and are moving good numbers. Now, the model I have won't be a fastlane for a long time--if ever. But guess how much I'm learning everyday tackling problems that other companies dealt with ages ago.

I guess my value-add to this conversation is this: don't worry so much about what you're doing, as long as you're doing something. Even without being in an online fastlane company I'm making plenty of money. Guess what will happen when a fastlane opportunity that may need $$ to get going crosses my field of vision?

Also, there are so many opportunities for money out there that reveal themselves once you start running a company. I could probably list a dozen $500k per year "starter" businesses from what I've struggled with last week.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
He was a subordinate on my job. I was giving him "coaching" on how to do his job. He told me that he was going to quit if I made the job "not fun" for him. I asked how he could just quit and he told me he did not need the money. I asked a bunch of questions from that point. Who got the coaching?...

He did end up being a good friend. We did some deals together. I quit my job before he did.
Loved that part , had to requote it.
I will look for the post thanks again SteveO.

Iv also tried to help some of my friends but something I cant get my head round. Near enough every weekend going out for fancy meals , night clubs buying bottles and essentially throwing away their money for a night out to impress other folk? This actually bamboozles me to say the least.

here is a reason why zen sells diet pills...
There is an endless supply of humans who want to feel loved, sexy, beautiful, valued, rich, secure, popular, fun.
Understand the animal that you are dealing with and you will never have a shortage of biz ideas. Most people don't understand others because they are so focused on themselves. The ability to listen and understand others is a lost art. Oh look, a squirrel!

Yeah definitely we are living in a vain society now. I'm not so sure what its like over in the States but here in the UK most girls are fluorescent orange from fake tan with hair extensions down to their knees and the men well its becoming equally as bad. Men are not real men anymore.
I should get into the fake tan game :cookoo:

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Why do we complicate the process of money? So many of us struggle with how to get started. None of this is rocket science. There are processes from many that have made it which are laid out in DETAIL all over this forum.

We are our own worst enemies sometimes. We see success by others and want it right away. We read of people quitting their jobs and want to quit. Our impatience seems to hinder our ability to think critically.

Age seems to play a large factor. So many want to quit school and/or jobs and just dive right in. Obviously this can be done but most are not successful on the first venture. This is not a problem if you have saved enough money to sustain yourself while you march through your process.

Any of us can make money. All we need is a basic plan that we can follow. If we are not successful the first time, adjust and do it again.

I went the route of real estate for a business. While there are a few here on the forum that go that route, it is not a popular option. This is because this process takes too much patience. In most cases you need to save money (on a JOB). It also takes a lot of experience which takes time. There are plenty of businesses that take the same level of commitment. We don't tend to go this route though. We want instant success.

I have heard the argument about doing what you love vs. doing what will make money. Why can't you just simply love what you do? Life is about experiences. We can look at the fact that we go down an uncomfortable path as a negative if we choose, or we can see it as a learning opportunity.

We have time in our lives. Let's take our time and have fun in the process.

Make your plan. Move yourself ahead. Don't get frustrated if it does not work the first time. Enjoy what you do!

This is a good post. It is nice to see someone go with a physical business. Something about real estate has always made sense to me. Maybe it is the tangibility and face to face personal interaction. I have been starting to think about this deeply lately. Following the crowd and chasing online business success just might not be for everyone.

Millions or even billions can be made in Real estate. The opportunity offline is equally great.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
This is a good post. It is nice to see someone go with a physical business. Something about real estate has always made sense to me. Maybe it is the tangibility and face to face personal interaction. I have been starting to think about this deeply lately. Following the crowd and chasing online business success just might not be for everyone.

Millions or even billions can be made in Real estate. The opportunity offline is equally great.
Chris, when are you going to pick one thing and run with it? Very serious question.

If you want that Lambo in your avatar, you have to stop F*cking around. Pick ONE THING, TODAY! Pick it, try it, fail like you've never failed before. Stop researching ideas on the forum, stop making excuses, stop questioning everything, and GO FAIL LIKE A MOTHER EFFER! After you do it once, you might have to do it 40 more times, but without the first attempt under your belt, you'll never go anywhere.

Chances are, you won't do anything though, as you've proven time and time and time and time and time again. I feel bad for you, bro. I really do. I don't like seeing people do exactly what I was doing before. After you start something, you'll understand why doing nothing is ridiculous. After the first failure, you'll understand why it's F*cking awesome.

Your other option - I'll be looking for some remote employees in a couple months, so send your résumé and I'll look it over. We'll work out a nice benefits package, I'll claim I'm covering your medical 100% but in the background you're paying for it yourself by making me money.

Seems that you'd be more comfortable with that anyway, as of right now.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Something about real estate has always made sense to me. Maybe it is the tangibility and face to face personal interaction

My family has some residential property here in the uk and I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole!

I dont want to be the go to guy to fix a blocked toilet, broken light, leaky plumbing <Insert shitty problem here>
On top of that shit the tenant can wreck your property and/or get into rent arrears

Few months ago 1 tenant moved out and we have to repaint and replace all the carpets because she had dogs and rabbits running around and pissing everywhere, she was only there a bit over 6 months...

My friend has bought 3 residential properties in the last few years and I could not put him off, he thinks hes on some kinda fastlane! Just takes 1 incident to wipe out gains for a whole year, if the interest rates go up to 5% hes in negative cashflow. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Oh and what does he get for all his trouble 4-5% ROI, lets hope all his tenants are well behaved.

Ok end of rant.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
My family has some residential property here in the uk and I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole!

I dont want to be the go to guy to fix a blocked toilet, broken light, leaky plumbing <Insert shitty problem here>
On top of that shit the tenant can wreck your property and/or get into rent arrears

Few months ago 1 tenant moved out and we have to repaint and replace all the carpets because she had dogs and rabbits running around and pissing everywhere, she was only there a bit over 6 months...

My friend has bought 3 residential properties in the last few years and I could not put him off, he thinks hes on some kinda fastlane! Just takes 1 incident to wipe out gains for a whole year, if the interest rates go up to 5% hes in negative cashflow. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Oh and what does he get for all his trouble 4-5% ROI, lets hope all his tenants are well behaved.

Ok end of rant.

My Dad has a few properties here in Glasgow. He always does well with his tenants because
1) He tries his best to vet them ; finding out where they are living just now and checking over the property that they are currently in. If they are not taking care of this one they certainly wont take care of yours.
2) Going by age , personality and gut instinct. Don't just go with your first tenant it pays to hang off and find the right one.
3) Check Facebook etc, if the person is constantly partying do you want this in your property? (Snooping but its for your own benefit)
4) Always deals with lawyers to make it as legal as possible including a close inspection before and after (with pics).
5) We have a fast food business which has enabled us to meet many plumbers, electricians etc. This has helped majorly if any problem surfaces.
6) No Pets - Goldfish are allowed lol.

Also it helps to have good few thousand before investing so that your not in deep shit if another economic catastrophe occurs.
As you said you dont want to be the person to do it. You and property letting may not be cut out for each other but its been very profitable for my Dad.

Last edited:

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Chris, when are you going to pick one thing and run with it? Very serious question.

If you want that Lambo in your avatar, you have to stop F*cking around. Pick ONE THING, TODAY! Pick it, try it, fail like you've never failed before. Stop researching ideas on the forum, stop making excuses, stop questioning everything, and GO FAIL LIKE A MOTHER EFFER! After you do it once, you might have to do it 40 more times, but without the first attempt under your belt, you'll never go anywhere.

Chances are, you won't do anything though, as you've proven time and time and time and time and time again. I feel bad for you, bro. I really do. I don't like seeing people do exactly what I was doing before. After you start something, you'll understand why doing nothing is ridiculous. After the first failure, you'll understand why it's F*cking awesome.

Your other option - I'll be looking for some remote employees in a couple months, so send your résumé and I'll look it over. We'll work out a nice benefits package, I'll claim I'm covering your medical 100% but in the background you're paying for it yourself by making me money.

Seems that you'd be more comfortable with that anyway, as of right now.

You are very right in a sense. In the past I was following the success of others. After trying to start an info website it just did not seem right. Not because I was afraid of failure but because I did not believe in it. I felt like someone pushing MLM. This is all physiological and I am aware and I know it is not good.

After that experience I HAVE learned not to do something just because someone else became successful in it. Everyone has different strengths. My goal now is to find the right business that utilizes my strengths and then dive into 100% providing value. Starting something online might have been a mistake. Starting something online just because someone else had success with it isn't good. Everyone has different strengths and weakness's. From now on I am taking that into account.

I have began research on a couple business's that might fit my skill set and understanding. One of them happens to be real estate. However there are hundreds of niches within real estate. Failure is not a bad thing but having no direction or the wrong direction is much worse.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
The wrong direction is how you achieve your greatest failure. Kudos for doing shit though. Hopefully your posts will be value filled now, rather than bordering on whiney. Go forward, fail big, win massive!

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
The wrong direction is how you achieve your greatest failure. Kudos for doing shit though. Hopefully your posts will be value filled now, rather than bordering on whiney. Go forward, fail big, win massive!

Thanks Jeff. I have began the process by reading a mortgage broker start-up book and RE agent start-up book. From there I am going to decide what direction to go in. Brokerages can sell big volume. However my main interest is to get into investing, preferably commercial. I see these brokerage business's as a stepping stone into real estate by networking and earning capital at the same time ( More then my 45k a year job). I may be completely wrong in this process but that is why I am spending time doing the DD.

I know there are people on this forum who have had big success with real estate. So I have also began searching the forums for valuable Real Estate post.

I am 95% sure on Real estate. The other 5% is car dealerships. But I like the tangibly of real estate, along with the cash-flow possibly, magnitude and personal sales aspects. There are hundreds of micro niches in real estate so I am absorbing stuff now so I can start running down the right road.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
and repeat.

This is awesome.

Just recently been feeling this way. It helps to just keep things stupid simple.
The easiest way to confuse people is to run off and complicate stuff.
Better to just do simple really well, and listen.

Its not like simple can't be amazing. The simplest things are usually the best.

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah failure is a way of learning but Im just saying who actually likes to ha.
I must not be far off my 20th venture now but :)
“There’s a storm inside of us. I’ve heard many team guys speak of this. A burning. A river. A drive. An unrelenting driver to push yourself further than anyone could ever think possible. Pushing ourselves into those cold dark corners where the bad things live. Where the bad things fight. We wanted that fight at the highest volume. A loud fight. The loudest, coldest, darkest, most unpleasant of the unpleasant fights.”

Some of us, Love this.

Anyway, today I read on the forums that doing what you know is bad, because you are likely to be striving for perfection! I'm not sure if MJ put it that way, but this statement is real. Striving for perfection SLOWS things down... a LOT. In my experience.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
This post seems relevant to some of the discussions that have been talked about recently. What is important is the fact that making money is not difficult. We make it feel that way with the fear that occupies our thoughts.

Justincredible

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Oct 6, 2014
New Jersey
Many of these posts definitely speak to me. Took notes on alot of what was said from ICK, Zen, Magik, IAmTheJeff.

It's no coincidence I have gone through another phase in my life asking the universe for new friends/influences, and here I am today. :hurray:

We talk a lot about needs, but often we don't get down to things at an instinctual level, which is the real need/problem to be solved. Most people are trying to solve:

-The need to look/feel sexy
-The need to feel secure
-The need to care for loved ones
-The need to look powerful/feel important
-The need to look/feel healthy
-The need for more/good/better sex and companionship
-The need to save time, or save money
-The need to make more money
-The need to understand who they are
-The need to be entertained/escape reality/relieve stress
(Notice how often the words look and feel appear)

Get down to the root instincts which drive all human behavior, and the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

Natasha Dao

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 13, 2014
Gr8 posts and responses.

The greatest life lessons are best learned from our failures, as it is our greatest gifts to realize our true strengths and challenges of our weaknesses and in who we really are and in capable of ....our higher potential self. By coming from a positive perspective and 'go-getter' and solution finder attitude, anything is possible to create... it is all up to our creativity and imagination. Self-belief and tenacity with inner self-guidance (your intuition), will help to empower and activate your strengths to make the right paths and in decisions that is aligned to your core values and in your belief of idea and vision.

Basically... failure is part and parcel of the process of arriving to success.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.