The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The reality for a recent university graduate

Phantom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 1, 2011
Hey everyone,

Since I hate writing in paragraphs, I'll give you a quick summary of where I'm coming from, where I am, and where I want to be:

-23 years old, from Toronto, Canada, 6'0, 164 lbs
-Recently graduated, majored in Economics and Finance
-Last summer, I participated in an UNPAID internship to gain work experience
-I hated the entire experience of working in an office. My supervisor was a complete jackass. I dreaded the thought of waking up at 7am every morning, spending 1 hour on public transportation, and dealing with the idiots at the office
-Most people from my graduation class do not have jobs
-I've been to three interviews since I graduated. While all three of them require a university degree, my degree would be absolutely useless there
-The interview for a job I had 2 days ago pays $30,000/year, yet the whole interview took hour and a half to complete. (I really hope they don't call me back, the job absolutely SUCKS)
-I live with my parents. Other then a little more than $10,000 in student loans, I don't have significant debt
-Since I absolutely dread the concept of trading my time for money, I want to have a business that fills a need and that can be automated
-I don't particularly care to have an outlandish lifestyle. I just don't want to worry about my finances, and have time to pursue my hobbies.
-That being said here are some of my materialistic wants :smxB: : Nissan GT-R, a condo in downtown Toronto by the lake, a jet-ski, and the ability to travel 6 times a year
-Non materialistic wants: Start kickboxing on a regular basis, go swimming, play chess, skiing, and learn to do BMX tricks,

I do have a few business ideas, but like MJ says, ideas are just pawns and useless without execution.

I'm very happy that I got on this path at a young age. Before I did my internship, I always thought I'd just get a job that pays 40K once I graduate, and finance an Infinity. This internship really showed me how much I would dislike working in an average office environment, even if it paid well.

Anyways, enough with my rant. I hope this forum will help me to learn and grow as a person and an entrepreneur.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome and thanks for the great intro. I think your experience is pretty normal with college graduates these days. Good news is, you are still VERY young! Hope to see you around!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The think I repeatedly remind myself is that companies wont hire you unless you can turn a profit for them in a sense. So if you are in a consistent job, that means that you are worth more than the company is paying you. Do that work for yourself not a company.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
I feel you bro. I graduated from a top level university and the only positions i've been getting are sales jobs that don't require a degree so I'm like F*ckit, lets fast lane this mother F*cker instead. F*ck college. I only went to pick up girls and knew a philosophy degree wouldn't be worth shit.lol

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
I feel you bro. I graduated from a top level university and the only positions i've been getting are sales jobs that don't require a degree so I'm like F*ckit, lets fast lane this mother F*cker instead. F*ck college. I only went to pick up girls and knew a philosophy degree wouldn't be worth shit.lol

Talk about venting...

Autonomust

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 27, 2011
Northeast PA

man hopefully you got what you wanted :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...