The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Here is an interesting read.

First, let me tell you how I came across the article. It was posted by a former mentor/boss of mine. He had started one of the highest flying retail businesses in the early 1980's doing direct response marketing before that was even a thing. His life took a turn for the worst with the loss of a child. Through that turmoil, he turned to philanthropy to heal the void left by the loss of his child. In that window, the business went to shit. He reinvented himself years later, only to lose that business in a death spiral caused by an asset-based lending agreement gone bad.

He finally cashed in, or maybe cashed out. He moved recently to a Caribbean island, where money stretches much further. Once upon a time, he had enough money to do what ever he wanted. Now, he has enough to scuba every day, wake up overlooking the waves of the Caribbean, and he's one day closer to reuniting with his child every time the sun comes up.

He did it all. He saw it all. And then recently he posted this article. Read this through the tired lenses of a once high flying entrepreneur. Read it a second time a few days later, and it will help you understand MJ's concept of the desert of desertion, which is not only a real thing but most businesses and entrepreneurs have to come through that fire in order to make it singed and smoldering yet successful if you make it to the other side.

The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Depression is an interesting pattern in almost every entrepreneurs life. I see it a lot.

There is a lot of research that depression is actually a survival mode type of thing of the brain where its basically in overdrive to help you solve a difficult problem, which is why rumination is a classic symptom.

There is a lot of research that says it makes you a lot smarter and creative.

Depression makes you smarter | The Revival
:oops:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here is an interesting read.

First, let me tell you how I came across the article. It was posted by a former mentor/boss of mine. He had started one of the highest flying retail businesses in the early 1980's doing direct response marketing before that was even a thing. His life took a turn for the worst with the loss of a child. Through that turmoil, he turned to philanthropy to heal the void left by the loss of his child. In that window, the business went to shit. He reinvented himself years later, only to lose that business in a death spiral caused by an asset-based lending agreement gone bad.

He finally cashed in, or maybe cashed out. He moved recently to a Caribbean island, where money stretches much further. Once upon a time, he had enough money to do what ever he wanted. Now, he has enough to scuba every day, wake up overlooking the waves of the Caribbean, and he's one day closer to reuniting with his child every time the sun comes up.

He did it all. He saw it all. And then recently he posted this article. Read this through the tired lenses of a once high flying entrepreneur. Read it a second time a few days later, and it will help you understand MJ's concept of the desert of desertion, which is not only a real thing but most businesses and entrepreneurs have to come through that fire in order to make it singed and smoldering yet successful if you make it to the other side.

The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship
There it is again... the importance of health, sleep, diet, and relationships...

BigDaddyKane

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 19, 2011
Entrepreneurship is a mental game. The mind must be kept sharp, relaxed, happy, rested, and much more. Life will always present its challenges. This is true whether the entrepreneurial path is chosen or not.

My younger brother was an entrepreneur and an incredibly smart man. He was a decisive man and fearless. At least this is what he projected. He also took his own life. Now, while I can't fully say just yet - I know his burning desire for success and the roller coaster ride that comes with the process contributed.

In the article it quotes Toby Thomas's analogy of "fake it till you make it", CEO of EnSite Solutions, to:

"A man riding a lion. "People look at him and think, This guy's really got it together! He's brave!" says Thomas. "And the man riding the lion is thinking, How the hell did I get on a lion, and how do I keep from getting eaten?"

Some of histories greatest men of achievement had minds that simply would not turn off. Ideas flow through them in ways many cannot understand. Hence the desert.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Entrepreneurship is a mental game. The mind must be kept sharp, relaxed, happy, rested, and much more. Life will always present its challenges. This is true whether the entrepreneurial path is chosen or not.

My younger brother was an entrepreneur and an incredibly smart man. He was a decisive man and fearless. At least this is what he projected. He also took his own life. Now, while I can't fully say just yet - I know his burning desire for success and the roller coaster ride that comes with the process contributed.

In the article it quotes Toby Thomas's analogy of "fake it till you make it", CEO of EnSite Solutions, to:

"A man riding a lion. "People look at him and think, This guy's really got it together! He's brave!" says Thomas. "And the man riding the lion is thinking, How the hell did I get on a lion, and how do I keep from getting eaten?"

Some of histories greatest men of achievement had minds that simply would not turn off. Ideas flow through them in ways many cannot understand. Hence the desert.
Oh man. Sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I didn't even manage to gain a single cent from my current business. But, since starting..damn it. I couldn't even finish my meal. Every chew seems like eternity. My mind would be thinking about the emails, reviews, UX/UI of the websites. Etc etc etc. To ease the pain, I skipped meals. Peers got shocked with my weight loss.

What was the cure? I would say spirituality. Specifically, what the Catholics call the 'Sacraments.'

That puts everything at a 'normal' pace.

So, there you are. I hope those Fastlaners out there, who's going into the 'desert of desertions' find solace in spirituality (but still in a mode of 'balance is bullishit' - refer Unscripted ).

And who said spirituality has to comes from an organized religion?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.