The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The One Thing You MUST Do To Thrive On The Fastlane...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
The one important thing you need to know about creating an extraordinary life is simpler than you think.

But without it, you're bound for mediocrity...

Bound to live a life taking orders from those who were willing to do what you weren't.

And you know what's worse?

They're probably less qualified than you. Less worthy, too. And less capable.

BUT if you do this one thing I'm suggesting you do, you'll set the foundation for creating life on your terms—in all the weird and incredible ways you want.

The first thing you MUST do is this: Take Complete And Utter Responsibility For ALL Aspects Of Your Life.

That means your health. Your education. Your finances. Your relationships. Your time. Your attention. EVERYTHING.

Taking radical ownership of everything that happens puts you in the driver's seat because you now have nobody to blame but yourself.

And if you're not willing to do this one thing, you might as well admit that you're not willing to create the life you want. That you're not willing to own up to the emotions that come with what you want. The sacrifices. The struggle.

Just know that forever from that point, you'll go on pointing the finger at the "bad" guy.

The guy that was willing to do what you weren't.

But don't worry, the world needs those "bad" guys. Because it gives those who don't have the guts to become who they want to be a reason to feel better.

They'll point their F*cking finger and say, "That's the bad guy."

Resized_20220725_205656.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Thank you Woosah fot posting this!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great take, completely agree.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Awesome thread. I've learned the same things from Ayn Rand books. Atlas Shrugged & The Fountainhead are based off this philosophy pretty much. Objectivism is what she calls it.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
Haven't heard Fabolous in forever! This is one I used to listen to:

Great take, completely agree.
Thanks!:fist:

Awesome thread. I've learned the same things from Ayn Rand books. Atlas Shrugged & The Fountainhead are based off this philosophy pretty much. Objectivism is what she calls it.
Thank you! Atlas Shrugged has been on my reading list for so long haha. So many books to get to - so little time in the day. :bolt:

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
How does taking full ownership of your life look like in practice?

I think of it as the old adage of accepting what can't be changed, and changing what can. It's about not complaining of news that we can't do anything about, comparing ourselves wishing we were born in different circumstances. It is taking an accurate stock of ourselves and optimizing for individual success, irregardless of others.

Basically, quit bitching and do something to make your life great.

What does that mean for everyone else?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022

smn03

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 29, 2022
The one important thing you need to know about creating an extraordinary life is simpler than you think.

Bound to live a life taking orders from those who were willing to do what you weren't.

BUT if you do this one thing I'm suggesting you do, you'll set the foundation for creating life on your terms—in all the weird and incredible ways you want.

The first thing you MUST do is this: Take Complete And Utter Responsibility For ALL Aspects Of Your Life.

That means your health. Your education. Your finances. Your relationships. Your time. Your attention. EVERYTHING.

Taking radical ownership of everything that happens puts you in the driver's seat because you now have nobody to blame but yourself.

And if you're not willing to do this one thing, you might as well admit that you're not willing to create the life you want. That you're not willing to own up to the emotions that come with what you want. The sacrifices. The struggle.

Just know that forever from that point, you'll go on pointing the finger at the "bad" guy.

But don't worry, the world needs those "bad" guys. Because it gives those who don't have the guts to become who they want to be a reason to feel better.

View attachment 44514
book????

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
How does taking full ownership of your life look like in practice?

I think of it as the old adage of accepting what can't be changed, and changing what can. It's about not complaining of news that we can't do anything about, comparing ourselves wishing we were born in different circumstances. It is taking an accurate stock of ourselves and optimizing for individual success, irregardless of others.

Basically, quit bitching and do something to make your life great.

What does that mean for everyone else?
"Everything that happens is your doing."

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
Jacko is a beast!

Yes, thank you @hatedsalesrep . The image is from the book Wired for Success: Practical Philosophies to Master Entrepreneurship & Live Life on Your Terms, chapter 16, Demystifying Money.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I was just gonna post about Jocko and his Extreme Ownership book. He is wired a bit different than most, but his advice is gold all the same.

I think where alot of people get their wires crossed is believing fault = responsibility. It may not be your fault X, Y, Z happened to you. But it is your responsibility to handle nonetheless. Somehow this wisdom has been lost through the last decades. Talking about responsibility in a public setting will quickly get you in some hot water as everyone will automatically perceive it as talking about fault/blame.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

View attachment 44514
true freedom starts here:
take full responsibility for your life. Accept everything that happens to you, whether good or bad. If it's bad, you seek the solution.

Don't blame anyone..

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
I was just gonna post about Jocko and his Extreme Ownership book. He is wired a bit different than most, but his advice is gold all the same.

I think where alot of people get their wires crossed is believing fault = responsibility. It may not be your fault X, Y, Z happened to you. But it is your responsibility to handle nonetheless. Somehow this wisdom has been lost through the last decades. Talking about responsibility in a public setting will quickly get you in some hot water as everyone will automatically perceive it as talking about fault/blame.

true freedom starts here:
take full responsibility for your life. Accept everything that happens to you, whether good or bad. If it's bad, you seek the solution.

Don't blame anyone..
Right on. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021

View attachment 44514
“Many people busy themselves with ‘things’ rather than being completely present with ‘people’”. Sheesh. Sad, but true.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
Great post! Just that simple.

In psychology they call it the intern locus of control.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
“Many people busy themselves with ‘things’ rather than being completely present with ‘people’”. Sheesh. Sad, but true.
It is, and it results from the materialistic viewpoints and extreme consumerism within our culture. This is one of the main reasons why we have so many people dragging themselves through life with a lack of meaning, aiming to remedy their insecurities through competition with others. And it's also why so many people take jobs and positions in life that they have little to no interest in.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
Jocko is the best! I highly recommend his audio book „Extreme Ownership“ and „The Dichotomy of Leadership“. Made me klick!
I got Extreme Ownership, but haven't read it yet. In my (huge) list of books to get to, lol.

What would you say is the difference between Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership?

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
What would you say is the difference between Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership?

I actually decided to relisten to the „Extreme Ownership“ audiobook today. I would recommend you get the audiobook as Jocko and Leif read the book themselves, which has the capacity of giving goosebumps at times. It‘s great to listen to it when you‘re running or working out.

Extreme Ownership is the better book but it is, somewhat unbalanced at times. Dichotomy of Leadership is the follow up book and adds some nuance and has further examples from their consulting business.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
It's incredibly still to this day, I realize a lot of the times that I have more control than I think. Even If it seems I'm doing everything I can to change. Sometimes you just get carried away.

Thanks for the reminder !

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 30, 2022

View attachment 44514
I LOVE this mentality. I remember reading it from one of my favorite books, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, and it gave me 5 values to live by:
  1. Take Responsibility for Everything that Occurs in Life
  2. Constantly Look for Doubts in Your Belief
  3. Never Be Afraid to Fail
  4. Be able to Reject and Be Rejected
  5. If life is too meaningless to do anything, then life is too meaningless to NOT do anything, Accept death to truly live without all the unnecessary pressure our environment gives us, so that you can keep solving problems and reaching your long-term goals. (I might've explained this wrong).

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
I actually decided to relisten to the „Extreme Ownership“ audiobook today. I would recommend you get the audiobook as Jocko and Leif read the book themselves, which has the capacity of giving goosebumps at times. It‘s great to listen to it when you‘re running or working out.

Extreme Ownership is the better book but it is, somewhat unbalanced at times. Dichotomy of Leadership is the follow up book and adds some nuance and has further examples from their consulting business.
Sweet - Thank you!

It's incredibly still to this day, I realize a lot of the times that I have more control than I think. Even If it seems I'm doing everything I can to change. Sometimes you just get carried away.

Thanks for the reminder !
Thanks for reading and your comment! I find that even those positions you're describing happen for a reason (doesn't matter what the reason is) and that the more we "try to change" the more we resist change (because the part of us trying to "change" is the part of us that "needs changing" - like trying to pull yourself up from your own bootstraps). Instead, what I aim to do is just pour all my energy into what's "new", reminding myself (whenever I need to) that the "old" that I'm trying to change needed to be experienced.

Maybe it's a bit esoteric, but everything had to happen the way it happened, and the only reason it happened the way it happened is because it happened the way it happened. :clench:

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
I LOVE this mentality. I remember reading it from one of my favorite books, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, and it gave me 5 values to live by:
  1. Take Responsibility for Everything that Occurs in Life
  2. Constantly Look for Doubts in Your Belief
  3. Never Be Afraid to Fail
  4. Be able to Reject and Be Rejected
  5. If life is too meaningless to do anything, then life is too meaningless to NOT do anything, Accept death to truly live without all the unnecessary pressure our environment gives us, so that you can keep solving problems and reaching your long-term goals. (I might've explained this wrong).
I recently finished that and thought it was a great book. Great list you have there, and I think you explained that spot on. :thumbsup:

After looking over both books, I felt drawn to Dichotomy of Leadership for some reason. Started it this morning and finished the first chapter. It was incredibly relevant to some things going on now. Really glad I took your advice on the audio version. They narrate the book incredibly well. I appreciate the recommendations!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.