People have said things like this before but I felt like I needed to say it. This wasn't a moment of realization or anything, it's just that a lot of people get confused as to what the process really looks like and feels like.
Lots of people come onto the forum and start posting things like "I'm going to have $1 million in 12 months", but they never seem to reach their goals.
If I had to make a guess at it, I'd say it's because they had just had their moment and were excited to let it out.
You know, that moment when it's like "I'm going to do it! It's really going to be a reality! I'm going to start NOW! Time to make a plan!" and you feel on top of the world and then... nothing.
I just had one of those moments after receiving my school bill. I'm going to have to make $56 a day in order to pay it off in full. And I was like "I'm going to do it! I have no choice! I'm gonna do it!" and then I realized that I have no idea how. (I even wrote a blog post about it!)
I think that's where most people stop. When they realize they have no idea what they are doing, they get to a point where they don't want to learn further and all of the "why-nots" rear their ugly heads. They lose motivation and they're back to being unhappy but comfortable.
Or, they make a plan and get ready to execute, but something lies in their path and to them, it becomes insurmountable. They, again, don't know how. So they stop and say "I knew it was too hard".
So many steps, and after the steps are completed, so many setbacks. People say they don't fear them but they really do, and I see this all the time. Something happens and they don't solve the problem. They get to a point and then they don't even try.
My current problem is setting up the payment system for my business, so I can open the way for paid customers. It's hard, and it's annoying, and I'm confused as to how I'm going to integrate an e-commerce solution that records transactions via e-mail and waits until the end of the month to bill, and I'm confused as to how I'm going to set up the sign-up system for my paid customers, but I'm still doing it because for each problem I face, the chances of encountering another problem decrease and my probability of success increases. And, when I get past all these setbacks, including the building, marketing, and maintenance of my machine, plus all the legal stuff, I'm going to be successful, even if this one fails. Why? Because I'll do it again, and again, and again, until I build a powerful machine.
I helped a user today. When she thanked me profusely, I knew I had done my job and that what I was doing was really paying off, even though I had no money to show for it.
The key is not the plan, nor the execution. The key is the follow-through with every step of the process. Getting started is easy! Planning is easy! It's just every other little step is hard and confusing, and when combined with all the other crap going on in your life, it's even harder! But I'm going to make a statement that may be too bold: if you follow through, if you commit yourself to process and fuel yourself with passion, and if you know when to move on, you will be successful at anything you do. Wanna lose 100 pounds? Commit yourself to process. Wanna run a marathon next year? Commit yourself to process. Wanna make $1 million? Commit yourself to process.
And there's a reason why not everyone is fit as a fiddle, not everyone runs marathons and not everyone is a genius billionaire playboy philanthropist: it's because it's not effin' easy. Process is solving problems, making decisions and implementing solutions. Hundreds, thousands of them, often in repeated actions. And it takes time, often an undisclosed amount of it.
What I've noticed is that the big moment hits a lot of people, and then they freeze, never to return. It's sad but that's the facts. Not everyone is cut out to do this.
That's probably the biggest take-away I've gotten from this forum over the past year or so. Thanks MJ, and all of the members here, whether you're successful and driving a Ferrari, or you're still dirt poor trudging along, and everyone in between. You guys rock!
Lots of people come onto the forum and start posting things like "I'm going to have $1 million in 12 months", but they never seem to reach their goals.
If I had to make a guess at it, I'd say it's because they had just had their moment and were excited to let it out.
You know, that moment when it's like "I'm going to do it! It's really going to be a reality! I'm going to start NOW! Time to make a plan!" and you feel on top of the world and then... nothing.
I just had one of those moments after receiving my school bill. I'm going to have to make $56 a day in order to pay it off in full. And I was like "I'm going to do it! I have no choice! I'm gonna do it!" and then I realized that I have no idea how. (I even wrote a blog post about it!)
I think that's where most people stop. When they realize they have no idea what they are doing, they get to a point where they don't want to learn further and all of the "why-nots" rear their ugly heads. They lose motivation and they're back to being unhappy but comfortable.
Or, they make a plan and get ready to execute, but something lies in their path and to them, it becomes insurmountable. They, again, don't know how. So they stop and say "I knew it was too hard".
So many steps, and after the steps are completed, so many setbacks. People say they don't fear them but they really do, and I see this all the time. Something happens and they don't solve the problem. They get to a point and then they don't even try.
My current problem is setting up the payment system for my business, so I can open the way for paid customers. It's hard, and it's annoying, and I'm confused as to how I'm going to integrate an e-commerce solution that records transactions via e-mail and waits until the end of the month to bill, and I'm confused as to how I'm going to set up the sign-up system for my paid customers, but I'm still doing it because for each problem I face, the chances of encountering another problem decrease and my probability of success increases. And, when I get past all these setbacks, including the building, marketing, and maintenance of my machine, plus all the legal stuff, I'm going to be successful, even if this one fails. Why? Because I'll do it again, and again, and again, until I build a powerful machine.
I helped a user today. When she thanked me profusely, I knew I had done my job and that what I was doing was really paying off, even though I had no money to show for it.
The key is not the plan, nor the execution. The key is the follow-through with every step of the process. Getting started is easy! Planning is easy! It's just every other little step is hard and confusing, and when combined with all the other crap going on in your life, it's even harder! But I'm going to make a statement that may be too bold: if you follow through, if you commit yourself to process and fuel yourself with passion, and if you know when to move on, you will be successful at anything you do. Wanna lose 100 pounds? Commit yourself to process. Wanna run a marathon next year? Commit yourself to process. Wanna make $1 million? Commit yourself to process.
And there's a reason why not everyone is fit as a fiddle, not everyone runs marathons and not everyone is a genius billionaire playboy philanthropist: it's because it's not effin' easy. Process is solving problems, making decisions and implementing solutions. Hundreds, thousands of them, often in repeated actions. And it takes time, often an undisclosed amount of it.
What I've noticed is that the big moment hits a lot of people, and then they freeze, never to return. It's sad but that's the facts. Not everyone is cut out to do this.
That's probably the biggest take-away I've gotten from this forum over the past year or so. Thanks MJ, and all of the members here, whether you're successful and driving a Ferrari, or you're still dirt poor trudging along, and everyone in between. You guys rock!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
