The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

the lean startup method

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
For anyone who's familiar with Eric Ries and his book The Lean Startup, he mentions something about, to paraphrase Eric, testing the waters before you even create a product. Sometimes you can actually create a minimum viable product and sell it to customers or you can see how customers respond even when you don't yet have any product. How might this be done? My main concern would be possibly violating certain ethical standards if a customer wished to buy a product I did not yet have. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Brandon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California
hey Brandon,

I had the same question as you so I sent Neville of AppSumo (he made several of their courses, including the Sumo Business Blueprint and Kopywriting Kourse [not a typo]) an email and this is his response:

If you remember, Dollar Shave Club started before they officially had a product.

...however you're doing a slightly more "boring" business in the CRM space.
This means you might have to actually TALK to people doing hiring...and see if they'd be willing to pay for a service like yours.

You have WAY less people who do this, so they are very targeted and spread out.
You might want to research human resources concentions, magazines, forums etc and see what people need.
Ask a bunch of HR people if the software would work.

If you really want to validated it first, I'd say make a non-working "prototype" that shows screenshots of what the software will do, then show that to HR people for feedback. See if they'd be willing to pay for something like that.

Neville Medhora

Hope that helps a little. I still haven't figured it out 100% yet.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
For anyone who's familiar with Eric Ries and his book The Lean Startup, he mentions something about, to paraphrase Eric, testing the waters before you even create a product. Sometimes you can actually create a minimum viable product and sell it to customers or you can see how customers respond even when you don't yet have any product. How might this be done? My main concern would be possibly violating certain ethical standards if a customer wished to buy a product I did not yet have. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Brandon

I read something similar to this in 4 Hour Work Week.

I believe there was a way that you could see if the person actually went to pay for it but Pay Pal would not charge them as it would say out of stock.

Then you have their email and you can contact them if you decide to go ahead with the product.

But I don't remember the details.

For me as a customer I wouldn't be too broken up if this happen to me so I would say this is an ok way to test a product before you make it.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
As sam22 posted, you can create a clickable prototype. Fireworks is a nice tool to do that but there other online tools too. In this way you can put the must-have features, create the prototype and show it to people.

Could you tell us how your service will work? So we can give you ideas that fit better to your MVP.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
As sam22 posted, you can create a clickable prototype. Fireworks is a nice tool to do that but there other online tools too. In this way you can put the must-have features, create the prototype and show it to people.

Could you tell us how your service will work? So we can give you ideas that fit better to your MVP.

THIS is the sort of thing I need to learn. It seems the more you know the more you realize you don't know much of anything lol

Anyone else feel there is so much out there to learn you are falling behind no matter how fast you run?

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California
Fireworks is a nice tool to do that but there other online tools too. In this way you can put the must-have features, create the prototype and show it to people.

Thanks for sharing about Fireworks. I'm using Mockflow. It doesn't make a site look realistic like Fireworks but it's free and gets the job done for what I need.

Anyone else feel there is so much out there to learn you are falling behind no matter how fast you run?
I feel that way all the time. :)

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay

Yeah! It's how I feel most of the times, specially now that I'm in startup-mode and realize that everyday I encounter something new to learn that could help me to improve the business. I don't take it as something stressful anyway because I'm enjoying it.

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary

One approach you might consider is to have the sales page ready and all. That way you can test your copy before creating the product and see if anyone wants to buy. However, when they would press the "Buy now"-button, they would be taken to an opt-in page where you could say something along the lines of "You are here a bit early. We are still putting finishing touches to the product. However, we want to reward you for your interest towards our product and want to offer you 25% discount of the product when it comes live. To be eligible for the discount, just put your email address on the below field and we will send you a coupon code what you can use. Please note that signing up will not tie you in to anything - you will just be notified when the product goes live and will get the discount coupon."

Obviously the 'copy' above is not perfect or anything, but you'll probably get the idea.

Benefits of this approach to you:
- You can test the actual sales page and find out conversion % (can be used if wanting the get affiliates)
- You can get direct access to potential buyers -> you can survey them, get them to spread the word (if you come up with cool ideas)
- You most likely make your first sales on the first day your product goes live --> can get reviews early on

Benefits for customer:
- Doesn't obligate them to do anything
- Can get a discount coupon

I haven't used this approach yet, but will surely use after I decide what will my next product be.

I hope this helps.

Wuping

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 6, 2012
Europe
Hey guys!
This post on the 4-hour-blog is a great source of inspiration to do a "lean" startup.

What I do, is setup a basic wordpress site. Make a "Buy" button with a link I track in Google Analytics.
I then do a simple ad on Facebook/Adsense (which also will tell my if people are interested in the idea at all).
Lets say I send 100 people to my test site from Facebook/Adsense. Then by using Google Analytics I can tell 5 people have clicked the "Buy now" link. These will give me a rough idea of how many people who are actually interested in buying the product.

Yes I'm aware, that many people who click "Buy" actually never buys, but this is an easy way to get some further insight to your idea.

Good luck!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
How long does it take you to get 100 people to go to your sight from a Facebook ad?

How much does that cost you?

I have run a facebook ad for 4 months and not single click.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Hey guys!
This post on the 4-hour-blog is a great source of inspiration to do a "lean" startup.

What I do, is setup a basic wordpress site. Make a "Buy" button with a link I track in Google Analytics.
I then do a simple ad on Facebook/Adsense (which also will tell my if people are interested in the idea at all).
Lets say I send 100 people to my test site from Facebook/Adsense. Then by using Google Analytics I can tell 5 people have clicked the "Buy now" link. These will give me a rough idea of how many people who are actually interested in buying the product.

Yes I'm aware, that many people who click "Buy" actually never buys, but this is an easy way to get some further insight to your idea.

Good luck!

Tim Ferriss is a beast. I didn't want to cause problems by mentioning another site but since you did it I guess I can add my 2 cents. This dude Tim is cold (awesome, for the slang challenged). A true boss in every since of the word. How he started winning kickboxing tournaments cracked me the hell up. Not going to plug his book though because they might kick my a$$ on here.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
I think talking to actual people face-to-face would help too. That's what I've done with a few of my business ideas. When you talk to people about a product and 50% of them say "I would pay for that!", you're probably doing something right. Shoot, you could even ask them for their emails so you can let them know when it launches. Free leads :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.