The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

The Journey Begins (Backstory and Ongoing Updates)

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

GaryPhoenix

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 24, 2018
USA
Figured it is time introduce myself and give a bit of backstory along with the direction I will head moving forward.

30 years old, "great job" by society's standards- stability, good pay, upward mobility and an aggressive 128 hours of paid time off yearly. Laughable I know.. Without even realizing it, my previous ambitions of being self-employed, traveling the world, and controlling my own destiny have been slowly taking the back-burner. How did this happen?

After finishing college, I moved abroad and lived in Asia for four years. Started out teaching English to get out because I knew going to law school or grad school was not what I wanted to do deep down. So I got out. And it was the best choice I ever made. I moved into a management position with a small chain of English schools about a year in. Life was pretty good; working a few days a week, making okay money, and seeing places of the world most never have the opportunity to. Then things went south, we had to close two of the branches, my stress was rising and I decided I only live once so am going to go meet up with some buddies in Australia, and move with my girlfriend to do a working holiday for a year. I wound up coming back home first for a few months, but then got restless and decided to get a part time job until moving back overseas. I got into the mortgage industry with ambitions of making 100k, brought my then girlfriend over from Japan, and we decided to give up on the idea of Australia in pursuit of stability in America.

Bounced around a few different companies until the volatility of the industry became too much to bare and had a baby, so it was time to go for something much more stable. I moved into the logistics industry, climbed the ladder quickly and am now a manager. Long hours, I hate waking up on Sundays now because my whole day is obsessed about the dread of Monday through Friday coming. Five for two is never a good trade.. More on that later.

I had been dabbling in numerous business ventures that I started up over the years. Most had some success, but I gave up too quickly. I went for the quick buck, maxed it out for a couple months, and then moved onto the next big idea.. Couple of the businesses below:

I opened a house cleaning company but told myself there was no way I was going to clean houses. Hindsight, I should've dove in and learned it inside and out, but hey, rich people don't clean houses so I wont either. It was too below me. So I solicited cleaning companies on Craigslist, stated I had an excess of houses to be cleaned and wondered if they would be interested. I then hired them out as independent contractors, paid them 70% of the cleaning cost, and I netted 30% for doing very little. I had a handful of cleaners going, but wasn't really pushing to market that hard- just kept putting craigslist postings online and directing them to my website where they could chat with me and then I would get them setup. Had some fallout with back solicitation with my cleaners, them not following through with appointments, missing cleanings, doing a sub par cleaning, etc. Then I just closed shop. Onto the next idea:

Did the same thing with lawn care. I liked the idea of just taking a percentage and focusing on networking and attracting more customers. Did a few yards, winter came, and I never pursued it again. Next idea:

Doing Amazon FBA. I bought a few pallets of textbooks, sent them to the Amazon warehouse, sold them all and made a few hundred in profit, but then thought it was too much work. Next idea:

Create my own product, get it manufactured through Alibaba and then sell through various channels. Spent probably 100 hours researching everything, only to not follow through. You get the point and are probably starting to see a trend, right?

I moved onto websites finally after reading a Reddit post where a guy was clearing 80k in net rev by slapping together Wix websites and selling them to low barrier to entry companies like restaurants, lawncare, etc. Hot damn! There it is. I will sell a bunch of $500 websites that I can make in a weekend since I've already done it myself for my 5+ different companies. It doesn't matter what the website does, just as long as it looks clean. That is all customers want anyways is a clean looking website. Boy was I wrong. Got my first client after sending a big BCC email to all the members of a local Chamber of Commerce. I overpromised, under-delivered and wound up not being able to finish it. So it was almost onto the next idea.

Thankfully I was stumbling through r/Entrepeneur and bumped into @Fox's infamous post. We all have read it so no need to link it. But thank you so much! It has led me down the rabbit hole and is going to forever change my way of thinking. That was a couple months ago now, maybe less.

I then found his Youtube channel, found his post on this forum and his Facebook group. I consumed everything I could. Since then, I finally got onto this forum, and picked up both books by @MJ DeMarco and finished those within a couple days. My jaw hit the floor and saw the light. All the books I read previously was putting me in the Slowlane. Put 10-15% away month over month, get frugal, set strict budgets, eliminate all debt, mutual funds, rinse and repeat for 45 years and bam, I am a millionaire next door finally. Screwwwww that. Thanks for opening my eyes MJ!

I then read through all the posts by @Fox, @AllenCrawley, @Andy Black, @G_Alexander, @IceCreamKid, @LexDeVille, @RHL, @SteveO and all gold threads. Jesus, there are some smart people in this community. And everyone is so helpful with problem solving. Why on earth would they all give up this information? Maybe they are onto something. By solving problems, adding value, and being a descent human, the money will come to you?

Down to the brass tacks. Since following Fox's advice, I have built three websites. One for free, one for $500, and now one I am working on to the tune of $4000. Cha-ching! And guess what? The customer is getting a great deal. I don't feel sleazy about it because I understand and he understands the value he will be receiving in return.

As of now, I am still working my Slowlane job. Goal is to make enough money through web design to make this full-time and focus completely on growing this business into something that I can scale out pretty big, hire on a small sales team, and a web designer so I can focus exclusively on client acquisition and networking brand awareness. But the big takeaway is that I am going to focus exclusively on web design and not jump to another idea the second the grass looks greener somewhere else. I need to be around 10k month over month to meet the lifestyle I have now. When I hit 5k three months in a row, I will quit my job. If I can make 5k while working 50 hours a week, then there will be no problem hitting 10k without the slowlane job distracting me. Still a bit of a risk, but it is one I am going to take.

As I continue to grow, I will keep this thread updated, show you what is and isn't working for me, and hopefully can shed some light that will help new people succeed as well. A couple months ago, I would be hoarding my secrets, fearing that there is not enough ice to go around, but I see things differently now. Thanks to all for reading and good luck in your endeavors. Again, huge thanks to Fox and others mentioned above for all that you have done in pushing me to get started.

Godspeed,

Lorus

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Figured it is time introduce myself and give a bit of backstory along with the direction I will head moving forward.

30 years old, "great job" by society's standards- stability, good pay, upward mobility and an aggressive 128 hours of paid time off yearly. Laughable I know.. Without even realizing it, my previous ambitions of being self-employed, traveling the world, and controlling my own destiny have been slowly taking the back-burner. How did this happen?

After finishing college, I moved abroad and lived in Asia for four years. Started out teaching English to get out because I knew going to law school or grad school was not what I wanted to do deep down. So I got out. And it was the best choice I ever made. I moved into a management position with a small chain of English schools about a year in. Life was pretty good; working a few days a week, making okay money, and seeing places of the world most never have the opportunity to. Then things went south, we had to close two of the branches, my stress was rising and I decided I only live once so am going to go meet up with some buddies in Australia, and move with my girlfriend to do a working holiday for a year. I wound up coming back home first for a few months, but then got restless and decided to get a part time job until moving back overseas. I got into the mortgage industry with ambitions of making 100k, brought my then girlfriend over from Japan, and we decided to give up on the idea of Australia in pursuit of stability in America.

Bounced around a few different companies until the volatility of the industry became too much to bare and had a baby, so it was time to go for something much more stable. I moved into the logistics industry, climbed the ladder quickly and am now a manager. Life is good, or so I thought. Long hours, I hate waking up on Sundays now because my whole day is obsessed about the dread of Monday through Friday coming. Five for two is never a good trade.. More on that later.

I had been dabbling in numerous business ventures that I started up over the years. Most had some success, but I gave up too quickly. I went for the quick buck, maxed it out for a couple months, and then moved onto the next big idea.. Couple of the businesses below:

I opened a house cleaning company but told myself there was no way I was going to clean houses. Hindsight, I should've dove in and learned it inside and out, but hey, rich people don't clean houses so I wont either. It was too below me. So I solicited cleaning companies on Craigslist, stated I had an excess of houses to be cleaned and wondered if they would be interested. I then hired them out as independent contractors, paid them 70% of the cleaning cost, and I netted 30% for doing very little. I had a handful of cleaners going, but wasn't really pushing to market that hard- just kept putting craigslist postings online and directing them to my website where they could chat with me and then I would get them setup. Had some fallout with back solicitation with my cleaners, them not following through with appointments, missing cleanings, doing a sub par cleaning, etc. Then I just closed shop. Onto the next idea:

Did the same thing with lawn care. I liked the idea of just taking a percentage and focusing on networking and attracting more customers. Did a few yards, winter came, and I never pursued it again. Next idea:

Doing Amazon FBA. I bought a few pallets of textbooks, sent them to the Amazon warehouse, sold them all and made a few hundred in profit, but then thought it was too much work. Next idea:

Create my own product, get it manufactured through Alibaba and then sell through various channels. Spent probably 100 hours researching everything, only to not follow through. You get the point and are probably starting to see a trend, right?

I moved onto websites finally after reading a Reddit post where a guy was clearing 80k in net rev by slapping together Wix websites and selling them to low barrier to entry companies like restaurants, lawncare, etc. Hot damn! There it is. I will sell a bunch of $500 websites that I can make in a weekend since I've already done it myself for my 5+ different companies. It doesn't matter what the website does, just as long as it looks clean. That is all customers want anyways is a clean looking website. Boy was I wrong. Got my first client after sending a big BCC email to all the members of a local Chamber of Commerce. I overpromised, under-delivered and wound up not being able to finish it. So it was almost onto the next idea.

Thankfully I was stumbling through r/Entrepeneur and bumped into @Fox's infamous post. We all have read it so no need to link it. But thank you so much! It has led me down the rabbit hole and is going to forever change my way of thinking. That was a couple months ago now, maybe less.

I then found his Youtube channel, found his post on this forum and his Facebook group. I consumed everything I could. Since then, I finally got onto this forum, and picked up both books by @MJ DeMarco and finished those within a couple days. My jaw hit the floor and saw the light. All the books I read previously was putting me in the Slowlane. Put 10-15% away month over month, get frugal, set strict budgets, eliminate all debt, mutual funds, rinse and repeat for 45 years and bam, I am a millionaire next door finally. Screwwwww that. Thanks for opening my eyes MJ!

I then read through all the posts by @Fox, @AllenCrawley, @Andy Black, @G_Alexander, @IceCreamKid, @LexDeVille, @RHL, @SteveO and all gold threads. Jesus, there are some smart people in this community. And everyone is so helpful with problem solving. Why on earth would they all give up this information? Maybe they are onto something. By solving problems, adding value, and being a descent human, the money will come to you?

Down to the brass tacks. Since following Fox's advice, I have built three websites. One for free, one for $500, and now one I am working on to the tune of $4000. Cha-ching! And guess what? The customer is getting a great deal. I don't feel sleazy about it because I understand and he understands the value he will be receiving in return.

As of now, I am still working my Slowlane job. Goal one is to make enough money through web design to quit this job and focus completely on growing this business into something that I can scale out pretty big, hire on a small sales team, and a web designer so I can focus exclusively on client acquisition and networking brand awareness. But the big takeaway is that I am going to focus exclusively on web design and not jump to another idea the second the grass looks greener somewhere else. I need to be around 10k month over month to meet the lifestyle I have now. When I hit 5k three months in a row, I will quit my job. If I can make 5k while working 50 hours a week, then there will be no problem hitting 10k without the slowlane job distracting me. Still a bit of a risk, but it is one I am going to take.

As I continue to grow, I will keep this thread updated, show you what is and isn't working for me, and hopefully can shed some light that will help new people succeed as well. A couple months ago, I would be hoarding my secrets, fearing that there is not enough ice cream to go around, but I see things differently now. Thanks to all for reading and good luck in your endeavors. Again, huge thanks to Fox and others mentioned above for all that you have done in pushing me to get started.

Godspeed,

Lorus
Great story, thanks for sharing. You write well too, so add that to your talents.

You’ll have learnt a lot from all those start-stop business endevours. They’ll help you with your current one.

The beauty of providing a service to business owners is you’ll spend a lot of time with ... business owners. You’ll learn lots from them (not just what to do, but also what not to do).

It could also satisfy your desire to do different things. Your core service will be the same, but you can provide it to many different verticals. Or you could settle on a specific vertical and start providing different services to them.

GaryPhoenix

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 24, 2018
USA
Great story, thanks for sharing. You write well too, so add that to your talents.

You’ll have learnt a lot from all those start-stop business endevours. They’ll help you with your current one.

The beauty of providing a service to business owners is you’ll spend a lot of time with ... business owners. You’ll learn lots from them (not just what to do, but also what not to do).

It could also satisfy your desire to do different things. Your core service will be the same, but you can provide it to many different verticals. Or you could settle on a specific vertical and start providing different services to them.

Appreciate the kind words! I've read through all your posts and a lot resonates on a level that I previously didn't see. Looking forward to climbing the ranks and getting to your and others' levels on this forum in the future.

In my current position, I speak with high up decision makers at large manufacturing companies now, so I am confident that there will not be any issue pitching my value, getting them on board with my vision for their online presence, and what a proper website can do for them. Cheers!

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.