The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The internet sucks and is outdated.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
There. I said it. It sucks. I constantly get this 15 year old nostalgic vibe that we are meddling in the past already. ps. yes the thread title is provocative so people will actually click it haha.

1. Pages are an outdated way of displaying information.
  2. Endpoints should be familiar applications.
  3. Most browsers render 2D interfaces with 3D graphics libraries.
  4. AR is freaking awesome.

Take a look at some of the possibilities of the web today:
Chrome Experiments - WebGL Experiments

1) Pages are an outdated way of displaying information.

On my company's site, every page request references a site_template.php file. I display the default top, inject my container content, and display the footer. Every, single, time, the page is requested, even though that information was already sent to the client.

What's better: Creating a web endpoint that saves pages and state within a friendly, readable URL. The first request returns the header and footer, and page transitions use AJAX to switch the content container, while caching already visited "pages".

Why this is not reality: Until HTML5, coders had little control over the state of the page. A framework for performing javascript actions using the forward and back buttons in the browser still needs to be worked out.

2) Endpoints should be familiar applications.

Solving the first outdated problem means that websites now feel much more streamlined. The interfaces for Facebook, Google, and Gmail should be held up as good examples in the direction the web needs to go. It still looks and feels like a website, but operates much like a streaming application.

What's better: Reimagining the user experience on the web. Taking control of the new WebGL kit and it's functions to deliver some stunningly beautiful, and resourcesful interfaces we can't even conceive of.

3) Most browsers render 2D interfaces with 3D graphics libraries.

Ever see the sweet jQuery/CSS transitions used? It's because we can now render much more than isometric pixels, but even perspective 3D objects! What interfaces have we not even imagined yet? How can the 2D interface be updated and function better.

Why it's relevant: Whether you know it or not, augmented reality is about to take the entire world by storm. While Google Glass fell completely on it's face delivering a toy from the 1990's, products like Meta's Space Glasses are going to revolutionize the way we interact with technology in our world much like the computer and smart phone did. While Meta did a fantastic job developing the hardware, they still resorted to using Unity 3D to develop applications.

4) AR is freaking awesome.

1. Who is going to create the first 3D, gesture and voice based operating system for use with AR devices?
  2. Who is going to reimagine the web interface? My company Averscer currently extended HTML5 to include Quaternions, vectors, local and world components that bring the 2D web standards into the third dimension. While it's just a demo, it's only a matter of time till someone comes along and you, your friends, my parents, everyone is using an entirely new interface concept like this.
  3. Who will make the primary AR world grid system? As you drive down the street with world view enabled on your AR glasses, how will different entities display visual and audio information to you within earth space? Will the medium of data transfer be the internet, will NFC be repurposed, or will something entirely new be created?

This is how I wake up and see the world everyday. I've been seeing a lot of people trying to forward think technology while still thinking inside the limits of current technology. The next multi-billion dollar company is not going to be a dating app, it's going to be a world standard in technology that gets used by billions of people every single day. In the next 10 to 20 years, it's very likely there will be another name like Microsoft, Apple, Google, or Facebook, and that name probably hasn't even been chosen yet because the company doesn't exist. You could be the person that makes that happen.

For anyone trying to brainstorm tech into the future, I hope this helped! It seems like a lot of people are struggling with imagining new realities that they can create, their business ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
It's coming. The problem is you "need" to support the past ~5 years of tech for web development. IE 7/8, XP, etc.

#1 and #2 are largely solved by the latest javascript MVC frameworks. I'm using AngularJS ? Superheroic JavaScript MVW Framework for a project and it's pretty awesome - basically HTML6.

Restful APIs and mobile have also decoupled the data from the UI to allow for an easy transition to Glass/AR/technology x.

G

Guest3722A

I couldn't agree more and Google really sucks now with all the jackasses fighting for rank and those knowledgeable enough to get in the first few pages aren't knowlegeable enough to satisfy what I'm looking for. It's becoming one big massive and useless sludge-fest

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I forsee A LOT of change in the future. I can't imagine exactly what might come though. For the people who make their living online...they're going to have to adapt to the changes.

I am working on making my living online so this is something I thought about before.

I think the focus is on Mobile devices right now though. The hardware is changing too man! There's just to much to imagine haha

workingtitle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 27, 2013
I had to chime back in because I feel so passionate about this topic.

I completely agree with dknise, if someone can get on the forefront of this tech, they will be billionaires. Plain and simple.

Augmented Reality + VR will absolutely change the way the internet is viewed and data is presented. It is such an exciting topic to me that it gets my heart racing when I talk about it. The next 5-10 years will change the face of the world dramatically and I absolutely can't wait to see what will result.

Also look into Biomedical Computation. Basically, if someone can invent an AUTOCAD software for biological components and connect the dots, jesus...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Well, I will sit on the sidelines for this. I'm way too dumb for technological innovation :).

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
AR is going to be pretty cool and mobile health monitoring really gaining momentum now with the advanced smartphones rolling out now. We'll finally see that most every device/appliance etc...will be connected and interactive in the next few years. Will be interesting times and many opportunities, in the face of teetering macro economic landmines.

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
This is a great post! I have been thinking about this on and off for around two years and agree with you totally. The web needs changing and the way we get information from the web is terrible. Websites are generally designed in a blocky way and I think this is mainly to restrictions of the DOM, once this changes the internet is going to change in a big way!!

Sindi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 8, 2013
I couldn't agree more and Google really sucks now with all the jackasses fighting for rank and those knowledgeable enough to get in the first few pages aren't knowlegeable enough to satisfy what I'm looking for. It's becoming one big massive and useless sludge-fest
Agree!

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
iOS7 came out today. This is the beginning of many more changes to come, mark my words.

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
It's coming. The problem is you "need" to support the past ~5 years of tech for web development. IE 7/8, XP, etc.

#1 and #2 are largely solved by the latest javascript MVC frameworks. I'm using AngularJS ? Superheroic JavaScript MVW Framework for a project and it's pretty awesome - basically HTML6.

Restful APIs and mobile have also decoupled the data from the UI to allow for an easy transition to Glass/AR/technology x.

Agreed.

Check out this video of Elon Musk...'The Future of Design'.

Kind of like the movement sensors for video games but if it becomes more common with PCs then that would be great too haha. Instead of touch screens...movement sensors :D

The Future of Design - YouTube

Saw this a while back its great.

I agree with AR really changing the way we interact but I don't like the idea of 3D interfaces within the browser, they complicate many things and I think its better to keep it simple. While a screen supports a 3D plane; they are generally used to mimic the real world. I think AR and 3D Interfaces will provide most value in our physical world. Through a medium analogous to google glass or better.

Don't get me wrong though, AR and 3D would be cool in some places on the web such as games, learning and social spaces! I think we are reaching the point where the internet will be present all around us and everything will be a medium to connect to it / most things will be connected.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
dknise, you are offering interesting stuff to think about.

In fact Augmented Reality has already been around for a few years. I wrote about it in an trade magazine 3 years ago.

You should check out the Gartner Hype Cycle by Gartner Research for the roadmap that all emerging technolologies are taking.
AR is now peak of hype.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
How might Deep Machine Learning affect the Net and WWW?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Haha @Amschel Not mine
1.I don't use electronic banking.(not that it makes much of a difference I think)
2. By that time I will.be heavily into btc, all stored offline safely.
3. Gold.

Anyway sorry to detach from the main idea in the thread, so what do people think about deep machine learnings impact?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
There's actually web-frameworks that do this kind of thing already. While they don't explicitly state it, they use templates that are saved in
a separate file; and they render once the URL is called.

I don't think this kind of technology will form billion-dollar companies. The tech world is different today than when Microsoft and Apple were created. It's far more open, and way more people have access to computers; coupled with the fact that techies love to create new things and give it away for free. Websites will use this technology as a standard, it it will change the art/skill of web development.

I think billion-dollar companies will be built on this technology and the customers will be average consumers who like cool shit even if they have no clue how it works.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I am scared by all that Augmented reality stuff.

Also by drones,
And machines.

Please take the Terminator away, noaw.

If I could I would choose to live in a natural area, without a phone/internet/television and with a city close by enough that I can travel there in an hour, but that nobody ever travels to where I go, with the health standards of today, but not all the technology...

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I am scared by all that Augmented reality stuff.

Also by drones,
And machines.

Please take the Terminator away, noaw.

If I could I would choose to live in a natural area, without a phone/internet/television and with a city close by enough that I can travel there in an hour, but that nobody ever travels to where I go, with the health standards of today, but not all the technology...
Actually this would make a good thread.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
How might Deep Machine Learning affect the Net and WWW?

We have too much data right now, especially with new ways to obtain data (sensors that cost less than $1 dollar, for example), we are entering a state of too much data.

Machine learning is going to be huge because it's a dynamic way to utilize these floods of data. Rather than make sense of isolated strings of data, one at a time, programmers are building tools that can make algorithmic conclusions on data.

And here's the big deal: this isn't far out there technology--it's already here. We're just making it better. Siri is an example of an application built off machine learning principles.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.