The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Dream 100" Strategy - Does It Work For B2B?

Marketing, social media, advertising

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I run a B2B Service that targets marketers and I was wondering...

If you're selling a B2B Service, can't you just partner with 100 B2B influencers in your niche and get them to promote your service on a 50% commission-only basis?

Dan Lok used this strategy to massively scale his course sales I believe

He created his High Ticket Course and partnered with the top B2B influencers to promote the heck out of it.

He even gave them a marketing kit to "plug and play" it.

I'm looking to implement it to scale my B2B service.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I think you're oversimplifying.

I don't know the particulars, but I am guessing Dan Lok probably showed value in his offering to justify the price point. Or he had a reputation to lean on and build trust.

One thing most influencers will care about more than money is their reputation.

How do you "get them" to promote you?

Since we on the fastlane forum, I'll bring up the magic word.

Value.

Can you somehow prove your service has enough value to justify paying 50% of the revenue stream? Because when I hear that, I strongly suspect you overpriced your shtuff. If you need help with that, take it to warrior forum.

Think about this... These top influencers can market anybody's stuff. Why should they choose yours?

Value.

So if you prove value, by all means scale away. You don't need us to tell you this plan will work.

If your whole value proposition is "a 50% commission split", you're going to have to tough road...

Hope that helps.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I think you're oversimplifying.

I don't know the particulars, but I am guessing Dan Lok probably showed value in his offering to justify the price point. Or he had a reputation to lean on and build trust.

One thing most influencers will care about more than money is their reputation.

How do you "get them" to promote you?

Since we on the fastlane forum, I'll bring up the magic word.

Value.

Can you somehow prove your service has enough value to justify paying 50% of the revenue stream? Because when I hear that, I strongly suspect you overpriced your shtuff. If you need help with that, take it to warrior forum.

Think about this... These top influencers can market anybody's stuff. Why should they choose yours?

Value.

So if you prove value, by all means scale away. You don't need us to tell you this plan will work.

If your whole value proposition is "a 50% commission split", you're going to have to tough road...

Hope that helps.

I can throw in a "plug and play" marketing kit too that has the marketing copy/funnel already done for the too.

What form of value can I provide to an influencer besides paying them though?

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
You'd need some sort of relationship with them for them to even consider promoting your service. Their reputation is on the line - they don't just promote anything.

And even if you did, they'd probably want more than just 50%.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Yes it can be done.

It's even one of the most powerful marketing strategies there is. It's called Joint Venturing.

Jay Abraham talks a lot about this. There's a PDF online called "From Mediocrity to Millions" where you can get many more ideas on how to make it.

You don't have to offer 50/50. There are multiple ways to create a deal that's massively appealing to them.

It comes down to creativity. Ask yourself "What can I offer that would be so irresistible, where I do all the work, there's zero risk involved for the other party and they profit the most?"

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
You'd need some sort of relationship with them for them to even consider promoting your service. Their reputation is on the line - they don't just promote anything.

And even if you did, they'd probably want more than just 50%.

So basically have relationships in place beforehand.

Yes it can be done.

It's even one of the most powerful marketing strategies there is. It's called Joint Venturing.

Jay Abraham talks a lot about this. There's a PDF online called "From Mediocrity to Millions" where you can get many more ideas on how to make it.

You don't have to offer 50/50. There are multiple ways to create a deal that's massively appealing to them.

It comes down to creativity. Ask yourself "What can I offer that would be so irresistible, where I do all the work, there's zero risk involved for the other party and they profit the most?"

That's what I'm thinking.

That it's way more effective for scale than typical outbound marketing or any other traditional marketing.

I'll check out the PDF after this post.

As for your last comment - I've considered the below variables to make it irresistible for them:

- Plug n' Play Affiliate Marketing Kit (Easy)

- Ongoing Work Done By My Team (No Ongoing Work For Them)

- 50/50 commission split (High Payment)

All they have to do is send a lead to the site.

BEFORE I do the above, I'm thinking of getting more testimonials/success stories with my B2B Service perhaps + building more relationships with these influencers beforehand + building my own influence

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Go for it.

While I think it's always great to get more testimonials and success stories, it could be something that'll hold you back. Because in reality, you could have 100 testimonials and still fall flat doing joint ventures.

Much more important is what deal you offer, how much you understand and alleviate all their objections through risk reversal and how you can make this absolutely hassle-free for them, where they only profit.

If you want these influencers to promote you, there are many things going in their heads:

- Does this person have a good product?
- Can I trust him?
- Do I want to put my reputation at risk?
- How much work do I have to do?
- What's the catch?

and on and on...

I've been learning heaps in this area, if you want more help we can discuss some kickass strategies for you to start your first ventures.

One thing that I'm embracing as I go through this is the thought that I'm absolutely, 100% going to fail in the beginning. Joint venturing is not a magic bullet, one-shot deal. It's a process that has to be learned.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Go for it.

While I think it's always great to get more testimonials and success stories, it could be something that'll hold you back. Because in reality, you could have 100 testimonials and still fall flat doing joint ventures.

Much more important is what deal you offer, how much you understand and alleviate all their objections through risk reversal and how you can make this absolutely hassle-free for them, where they only profit.

If you want these influencers to promote you, there are many things going in their heads:

- Does this person have a good product?
- Can I trust him?
- Do I want to put my reputation at risk?
- How much work do I have to do?
- What's the catch?

and on and on...

I've been learning heaps in this area, if you want more help we can discuss some kickass strategies for you to start your first ventures.

One thing that I'm embracing as I go through this is the thought that I'm absolutely, 100% going to fail in the beginning. Joint venturing is not a magic bullet, one-shot deal. It's a process that has to be learned.

Happy to hear from you again Tiago. I'm happy to talk more about this with you.

- Does this person have a good product? *My product stands out and solves a problem.
- Can I trust him? *I have an experienced background with media articles
- Do I want to put my reputation at risk? *It's a non-controversial product that delivers results
- How much work do I have to do? *I'll make it as easy as possible by creating a marketing kit for them
- What's the catch? *50% to me + they have to setup the marketing kit and run it

And there's more as you mentioned I'm sure - but just wanted to answer the above.

I agree that things like the above (inc offer, risk reversal, etc) are more important than testimonials for this it seems.

What are your thoughts on approaching the "Dream 100" influencers? Do you think it's a bad idea to approach them to promote your product right away and instead we should develop a relationship/provide value first?

*ALSO, I was wondering if it's important to have somewhat of your own "Follower Base" built up before approaching them too... (eg. having a large FB group/youtube channel/email list/IG or Twitter Following/etc)? That way, you're "on their level"?

At the same time, I don't want to wait to do all these things IF it's as simple as going to them with a good offer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
A few thoughts...

Can you set up the marketing kit and run it FOR them?

About approaching the "Dream 100" list, I see two options. You can either go directly at them, or start small.

Right now maybe you need a win, where you have the highest probability to succeed. You need wins, confidence and experience in building joint ventures.

Maybe you don't need to make big jackpots in your first ventures, but first understand the intricacies and nuances that forming a strategic alliance entails.

I was just talking with a coaching client of mine, and he said he has 4 clients that generate 70% of his revenue. Dangerous strategy. We're creating a new strategy where he'll be spreading out his risk more by building more pillars that give structure to his business.

Same thing can happen with the joint venturing strategy. I am forming many alliances which could each bring mid to high five figures, instead of one or two that will give 6 to 7 figures. If one of them drops out or doesn't work, it doesn't phase me as much.

In my mind, you don't need a big follower base. Would it help? Certainly. Is it necessary? No. Everybody had zero followers in the beginning.

Just start where you're at and make some proposals.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
the company i'm reselling for encourages this ("go find someone with a book of business") but its slow going, like - they're putting reputation on the line and I'm just some random guy , they don't know me from adam.

For simple stuff , like 15 dollar a month email automation software or something where the customer isn't putting up a lot / free demos are common , then its low risk.

For high value b2b stuff? , not so easy to get "influencers" to take the bait, 50/50 is great but if you end up being some fly by night huckster then they lose their livelihood.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
A few thoughts...

Can you set up the marketing kit and run it FOR them?

About approaching the "Dream 100" list, I see two options. You can either go directly at them, or start small.

Right now maybe you need a win, where you have the highest probability to succeed. You need wins, confidence and experience in building joint ventures.

Maybe you don't need to make big jackpots in your first ventures, but first understand the intricacies and nuances that forming a strategic alliance entails.

I was just talking with a coaching client of mine, and he said he has 4 clients that generate 70% of his revenue. Dangerous strategy. We're creating a new strategy where he'll be spreading out his risk more by building more pillars that give structure to his business.

Same thing can happen with the joint venturing strategy. I am forming many alliances which could each bring mid to high five figures, instead of one or two that will give 6 to 7 figures. If one of them drops out or doesn't work, it doesn't phase me as much.

In my mind, you don't need a big follower base. Would it help? Certainly. Is it necessary? No. Everybody had zero followers in the beginning.

Just start where you're at and make some proposals.

How have your joint ventures gone lately since this post? Curious!

the company i'm reselling for encourages this ("go find someone with a book of business") but its slow going, like - they're putting reputation on the line and I'm just some random guy , they don't know me from adam.

For simple stuff , like 15 dollar a month email automation software or something where the customer isn't putting up a lot / free demos are common , then its low risk.

For high value b2b stuff? , not so easy to get "influencers" to take the bait, 50/50 is great but if you end up being some fly by night huckster then they lose their livelihood.

I managed to get 1 biz owner onboard and they were sending 4 booked calls a month on avg. 20% commission. I suppose it comes down to synergy (eg who is your IDEAL partner) and how good the deal is for both parties.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.