The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Did You Know?" Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Post your interesting tidbits of facts here ...

The "Did You Know" facts ....

Ill start ...

Did you know Bruce Lee majored in Philosophy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
your foot is the size of your forearm from your wrist to your elbow.

the legnth of your arms when stretched out to the side(think flapping like a bird lol)is equal to your height.

hmmmmmmmm I know theres more in my head somewhere lol

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jill-

I'm pretty sure my brother can do this.

He used to pick up girls in bars by talking w/them for a while, then licking the bridge of his nose on a bet (he has an extraordinarily long tongue).

-Russ H.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Post your interesting tidbits of facts here ...

The "Did You Know" facts ....

Ill start ...

Did you know Bruce Lee majored in Philosophy?

lol you must've just watched the "How Bruce Lee Changed The World" documentary on the History Channel. That was awesome wasn't it?

Did you know? Most elephants weigh less than the TONGUE of a Blue Whale?

G-99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 9, 2008
More people die from falling coconuts then from shark attacks.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The leading cause of divorce is marriage. (he he)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
scary thread- while I can't think of anything off the top of my I have so many of these that pop into my head on a given day it is...well... SCARY :p

I guess this counts though- Andrew Ridgeley, was the "other" guy in Wham!

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
...There is a city called Rome on every continent.
...You can't kill yourself by holding your breath
...Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Courtesy of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Book-Useless-Information-Noel-Botham/dp/0399532692/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243024804&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: The Book of Useless Information: Noel Botham: Books[/ame]

- Napoleon and Hitler both had only one testicle!

- The longest word in English is 1909 letters long and it refers to a distinct part of DNA, oh and btw here's the word:
Methionylglutaminylarginytyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglut-
aminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanyvalyl-
prolylphenylalanylvalythreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolyglycylisoleucylglut-
amylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglut-
amylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylglycylisoleu-
cylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucelalanylaspartyglycylprolythreo-
nylisoleucylglutamiylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalan-
ylalanylglycylvalyltheonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanygllutam-
ylmethionylleucyalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthre-
onylisoleucylpriIylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparag-
inylleucylvalyphenylalanylasparaginyllysylgyycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylph-
enylalanyltyrosylalanylgutaminyllcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylavlylaspart-
ylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalyprolylvalylglutaminylglutamyllserylal-
anyprolyphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylaspara-
ginylvaylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspart-
ylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginyglutaminylisoleucylalanyyls-
eryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylal-
anylglycylvalythreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylanylalanylleucyl-
prolylleucylaspaaginylhistidylleucylvaylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosyla-
saraginylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyl-
lysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylalanyglycylalanylalanyglycylalanylisol-
eucylserylglycyserylalanylisoleucylbalyllsylisoleucylisoleucylglutamyyylgluta-
minylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolyglutamyllysylmethionylleucyla-
lanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalabylvalylglutaminlylprolylmethionyllysylala-
nylalanylthreonylarginylserine

(This is true, look it up)

- The University of Alaska stretches across four time zone.

- Indian Railway is world’s largest employer with 1,646,704 staff.

- If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would produce enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

- A chameleon's tongue is twice the length of its body.

- More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.

- The average person walks the equivalent of twice around the world in a lifetime.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did you know that drinking 9 LITRES OF COLA A DAY is not healthy for you? Gee thanks for the tip! The pregnant woman should have her child taken away for endangerment. 7 LITRES PER DAY? Why subject your unborn child to some experiment? What is wrong with people? Guess I should stop smoking 162 cigars a day too? IDIOTS.

Too Much Cola Can Cause Muscle Problems on Yahoo! Health

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I just read that on aol as well MJ. I mean, WTF should someone expect if they chug soda all day. People....

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Back when I was in sales (and younger), I used to drink a 2L of Jolt cola every day . . .

-Russ H.

Peter2, this one's for you . . .

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Going off what some of you posted:

Da vinci used to hold a spoon over a metal tray/plate when he fell asleep to wake himself up after a little bit - early alarm clock.

drinking a lot of caffeine daily will make it hurt to pee. Know first hand.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Did you know that drinking 9 LITRES OF COLA A DAY is not healthy for you? Gee thanks for the tip! The pregnant woman should have her child taken away for endangerment. 7 LITRES PER DAY? Why subject your unborn child to some experiment? What is wrong with people? Guess I should stop smoking 162 cigars a day too? IDIOTS.

Too Much Cola Can Cause Muscle Problems on Yahoo! Health

HOLY SHIT!

I knew they say its not good for you but I didnt know It was really really bad lol. does that make sense??

i read just a little bit of that link and you have changed my life forever!

I have (several times) had severly low potassium. I do drink alot of coke a cola in a day.(at least a 2l bottle) the first time was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had to take vit k supplments for 6 months. again multiple doctors(obgyn perinatologist and nephrologist) all knew my preferred drink was coke a cola and noone ever told me that could be the cause! reading that link Im convinced!

I never heard an argument convincing enough to make me want to drink anything else. (even from my new doctor who knows about the low potassium issues ive had and didnt connect the dots just told me it maybe the reason for some of my headaches)that is untill now!

I am now convinced and will cut down my intake of cola to 1-2 glasses a day. (maybe after awhile I can quit cold turkey!)

thank you for this!(my heart and potassium levels thank you too!):yourock:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Diet soda is even worse for you (but I am hopelessly addicted to it.)

"False sweeteners, especially Aspartame are especially harmful to your body. When we drink a diet soda, we take in aspartame. It then goes to our liver and turns into formaldehyde. Remember those preserved lizards and snakes in the science lab? Formaldehyde is used to preserve them. It is also an ingredient in embalming fluid (used to preserve dead bodies). So…every time you drink a diet soda, you are embalming yourself. Is that enough information to make you never touch another diet soda as long as you live? If not…the nutritionists told us that diet soda is so unnatural and contains many chemicals that our bodies cannot break down properly. It takes a woman’s body 18 months to break down the ingredients in one can (that’s 12 oz) of diet soda. A man’s body takes 12 months to break down one can of diet soda. Notice the “12 ounces.†How many of us come into work every day carrying one of those colossal supersize sodas from the local mini mart? If you are drinking a 32 ounce diet soda every day and it takes your body 18 months to break down 12 ounces." --www.WebMD.com

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Potassium aside, you might want to check just how much sugar there is in just ONE GLASS of Coca Cola (google it, it's scary).

I probably drink 2-3 glasses of Coke/Sprite a year MAX - only when I'm stuck somewhere and can't get anything else. This stuff is BAD. Stick to water or fresh vegetable juices.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
yeah but im less afraid of sugar then I am of artifical sweetners. your body turns almost everything in to glucose anyway... i just skipped a few steps lol. I used to joke that i had more soda in my body then blood and that my body couldnt function without a base level of coke a cola lol.

Like I said I read and heard alot of things reguarding cola intake. nothing up till today has ever "scared" me into wanting to adjust my lifestyle.

even knowing that if I quit the cola id prolly lose 20-40lbs in a few months time.

the potassium thing is different. if you dont have enough potassium your heart stops working. thats scary shit. especially when you go to the er for something totally different and they do routine blood work and then they refuse to let you leave untill you have chewed 4 supplments...then they direct you to go to your doctor asap.

I never had a reason before. it was a big scary unknown. well now I know!

I bet my next bloodwork is much better!(oh and even tho I drink that much sugar my a1c is always perfect)

G-99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 9, 2008
[FONT=verdana,arial]If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar. [/FONT]

I was talking to my brother about this the other day and he told me these.
[FONT=verdana,arial]
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial]A quarter has 119 grooves around the edge. [/FONT]

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I won't touch Aspartame ... pulled this from another website. Obviously, the "pay off" contention is debatable.

Aspartame banned in Europe for children's products

On the European Common Market, Aspartame is banned for all children's products. Why is this not the case in Canada and the U.S.? Because Monsanto - which owns the NutraSweet Company which manufactures Aspartame - pays off the FDA, the American Medical Association, The American Dietetic and Diabetic Associations, Congressmen and Senators and virtually anyone who gets in the way, and in other countries too. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation caught them red handed and aired a program where Monsanto was trying to bribe Canadian Doctors at Health Canada.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yeah, it's crazy when you find out that products that are so freely given over here are banned elsewhere--and for good reason.

Maybe I will revisit cutting diet coke out of my diet--it really is my only vice left, and would be good to cut it out of my life completely.

Another product that is available in the US that isn't in Europe is a birth control called Depo Provera. It's a shot that women take every three months, so it sounds pretty cool in theory. Turns out the side effects are AWFUL. I was told everything I was experiencing was normal (no sex drive, spontantous throughts of suicide, nightmares so bad I would wake up every one in the house screaming), until I moved to Italy, and when it was time to get my shot, my doctor over there was floored that I was on Depo. He told me it was banned there because the suicide rate was so high--and the chemicals in Depo were the same chemicals that were given to chemically castrate sex offenders! Sheesh. Why is it legal here? Well, like everything else--follow the money trail.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
dont even get me started on birth control.

for example... did you know that most women spend years and years of their lives trying not to get pregnant because its soo soo easy to and then when they want to have kids they cant? and alot of it has to do with the birth control they were on...

also theres a reason its called birth control and not a pregnancy preventitive. I will leave that right there...

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Yves- after reading your above post I decided NOT to have any Diet Coke today and will hopefully stick with my "cold shoulder" quitting. Now I gotta find a caffeine alternative :smxB:

On top of that, been listening to a lot of Chris Rock, Bill Maher and George Carlin lately, all of whom I feel are geniuses(and hilarious of course :p) all have bits on FDA related stuff and how unhealthy a lot "OTC" stuff is for us whether it's food or "medication"

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I found "Honest Tea" a great replacement to the sugar shit ... made with honey and green tea.

Honest Beverages

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
very cool company... too bad its not readily available near me :(

Im gonna drink sugar free lemonaide. its the only other drink I can stand besides homemade sweet tea(which prolly has more sugar then soda lol) and of course my fav coke! I will not lie and say I wont drink it anymore cause I know I will lol, instead of it being what I drink all day long it will be an occasional treat!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I do not buy into the aspartame anti hype. I've discussed this diet soda issue and when push comes to shove, the only real explanation for why it could be bad is this:

diet soda tricks your mind it is getting sugar, because of the sweet taste. but the body doesn't get it, so it start craving sugar - making you more likely to eat cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
vr4[playa said:
Now I gotta find a caffeine alternative :)
Green tea.

Great stuff-- but watch the caffeine-- it can have lots.

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.