What's new

The care and feeding of sales reps...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

SleepNomore

PARKED
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
2
Rep Bank
$25
Hello, my start-up will be 1 years old in April and in its first year of existence it has made just under $5000.

I am not a sales person, though I am wearing many other hats (product designer, manufacturer, research & development, web designer, graphic designer, contract labor manager, etc...) sales is far from being my natural skill so I am looking at hiring an independent sales rep. This is completely new ground to me so I appreciate any wisdom any of you can share on the subject.

Some specific questions I have include:
  • Where do I find sales reps? My industry is wholesale distribution to salon and spas. Is Craigslist appropriate? I see sites like gotosales.com or rephunter.com but have no idea of their legitimacy.
  • What questions should I ask to screen a rep's sales performance history? I've asked for references from one and he was reluctant to give any, so I wasn't sure if asking was gouache?
  • Is it unreasonable to expect a sales rep not to rep a competitor's product line or lines identical to your own?
  • Is it inappropriate to have a sales rep approaching both wholesale retail accounts and distributors that might service some of these wholesale retail accounts?
  • Should commission % be commiserate to the size of an exclusive territory? Or the rep's sales experience?
  • What are some creative ways to keep the independent rep engaged and incentivized?
Thanks in advance for any information that any of you may share.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom