The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 5am Club - Worth it?

5am Club: Is it worth it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Wake at 5am or 10am? I'd rather choose 10am.

Waking to an alarm and knocking back two black coffees before the rooster crows is too reminiscent of a previous life we'd all rather not talk about...

Besides, I get more done throughout the day if I wake later.
Despite...you know, waking later...

At the least, the same stuff's getting done.
Only 5am is waaaay more painful for marginal gain.
Do you also, as some people who commented on this thread, try to go to bed when you feel tired and wake up naturally?

For me waking up earlier and going to bed earlier has really boosted me productivity. Looking at the results of the poll in this topic it clearly depends on people. Thank you for your message UnrealCreative :)

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I prefer waking and retiring with the sun, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hell, my travel goals are centered around timezones. Heaven to me is when I can wake at 10am in Europe and not be bothered by phone calls from the USA until at LEAST 3pm.

Evenings are my best creative / strategic hours too. It's when I think best.
So being able to stay up late without consequence is useful.
It is a luxury to be able to do what you do and my objective too! :D

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Any hours I'm awake before about 11am-12pm are golden. I'm most focused and alert during these times.

I have a second wind from around 8pm until bed. Less alert but more associative -- good time to have creative thoughts, unsconscious "aha!" insights, that kind of thing.

In summer months it's easier to be up from 5-6am. In the winter, I'm lucky if I'm out of bed at 7:30.

I don't worry about it too much otherwise.
Haha totally agree about the difference in motivation between winter and summer... aaahhh these summer vibes are helpful!

guaava23

Ready for the FastLane Living!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 25, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I wake up around 4:00AM or so. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, but no later than 8AM.

Normally go to bed from 8-9PM. Would go to bed earlier but my favorite food stall opens at 6PM and housekeeping cleans my room at 5PM (I live in a hotel).

Sleeping when the sun goes down is definitely the natural way to do things and works for the vast majority of people.

If you don't believe me, just go backpacking in the wilderness. No phone. No electronics. Way too dangerous to leave camp or really do anything. Especially if you can't get a fire started.

Everyone goes to sleep after sunset once they've been on the trail a day or two. There really isn't another option.
Forget this thread. I rather hear your adventures on living in a Hotel!

Anyways, I think the waking up early thing is just like anything. The herd follows. If you are productive and disciplined at whatever hour, that is what you should do. I like having a few hours in the morning or at night that I am uninterrupted when everyone's sleeping to work on things or read.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hey Timmy thank you for your reply. I m curious though, how did you deal with family/friends? Eliminated?
For me I now only see my very close friends and got rid of the noise. I "only" have a girlfriend that I do intend to keep so dont want to neglect her. Balancing everything is an art haha
I meet family and friends for specific social engagements. Bad back so can only sleep in my own bed ..... partly true. You do what you have to do. It's easier to water down the truth than to explain to low functioning people ... even if those are tour own family.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I meet family and friends for specific social engagements. Bad back so can only sleep in my own bed ..... partly true. You do what you have to do. It's easier to water down the truth than to explain to low functioning people ... even if those are tour own family.
Yes it makes total sense and I kind of do that saying that I have history of cholesterol so I have to be careful with food and alcohol to avoid drinking too much when going out as it kills my productivity the next day. It is true, I do have high cholesterol, even with a 12% body/fat ratio, however, not as high as I mention to my close. So I know this feeling too... Happy to see I am not the only one...

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
5am definitely works for me as it’s the only time alone I get to work on myself and be alone.

5am up and out of bed
Excercise
Meditate
Journal
Read my life board
And educate (forum, YouTube, Blinkist, audible)
Get ready for work and the kids ready for school.
Leave house at 7am

Now to explain why I need the time for myself, here is the rest of my day.

Drop kids at school
8 to 17 work work work if I am lucky I take a brief lunch break
17:30 fetch kids from school
Spend time with kids at home
Cook dinner for family
20:00 family dinner
Kids to bed
Spend time with my wife
And finally try to watch a TV episode in bed (I never finish the episode)

So yes, the 5 am club works for me.

EnvisionEd

Education Revolutionary
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Nov 28, 2018
New Philadelphia, OH
Hi all,

So I recently tried to change my habits and wake up at 5am while going to bed much earlier in the evening. I used my morning time to work on my project, organise my day and thoughts and work out. Results have been good although there are some drawbacks I address in my video.

Are some of you guys doing the same, what is your experience and observations about this?

View: https://youtu.be/5fX1uNEjpWw
Personally, I am a night owl. With that said, I actually started going to bed a little earlier and have been waking up at 5AM to go workout and then head to work. It has been a great way to start off my day. As I always say, to each their own on this one. Best of luck with things.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I usually sleep at 1-2am and get up at 8 am.

I've tried to be an early bird a few times before but I wake up feeling like shit and it feels like I'm throwing away the last few midnight hours during which I'm at my best.

So I decided that I'm just a night owl until something moves me to try again.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London

Anyone that aspires to being a high functioning individual will generally be aware of the enrichment available from an early start. One will obviously need be comfortable working alone, have a clear pathway established and chip away at it.
High up on the chart is ...the optimum use of time. The first 3 hrs uninterrupted equates to maybe 6 average sloppy hrs. Nobody can steal those hrs. from me. The masterplan needs to be finished. The only unknown is the length of time it will take. Everything else is math.To do this one has to sleep well & eat healthy, and love themselves first. Sacrifices will need to be made to create generational wealth. ....

Yes ... I have the Dan Peña mindset.
Well put and very true. I need to read more about Dan Pena then! Thanks

WealthyMarketer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Dec 28, 2018
I did the miracle morning for a while. I just noticed that I was more tired than usual as the day progressed.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
5am club is lame.

Join the 4am club.

All joking aside, waking up early has changed only one thing, and that's my attitude about the day. If I wake up early, then I have chosen to wake up. I've chosen life. I've chosen to face whatever may be waiting for me. I've chosen to get my a$$ to work.

Also the time doesn't matter, the point is waking up several hours before your first 'obligation'. Most people wake up like 30 minutes before they go to work or have their first call. That means you're waking up for someone else.

Think 'pay yourself first', but with time. You, like me, might owe time to someone else. But when you wake up early, the time you take from the morning is 100% yours, tax-free. Isn't that powerful?
It is what I feel too when waking up at 5am. I have extra motivation because I wake for myself and to work on something more exciting than my 9 to 5. It makes it easier. Motivation + no disruption for couple of hours means extra productivity for me.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Some days I have to get up at 7am, other days, I sleep until noon.

Doesn't matter when you wake up, just wake up.

Some projects are gonna take days, that's just life.

I personally hate limiting myself to a sleep schedule sometimes, but it is the healthier way to go.
I guess it also depends on your obligations. Not everyone can wake up whenever they want if they still have a 9to5 or have a family or business partners etc..
So "creating" this time when you think you are the most productive is important and the benefit of the early morning in my opinion is that no one will interrupt you and your brain is fresh and did not go through a whole day already. Now clearly this poll result show that everybody is different! :)

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
Best time of the day! Quiet, still, time to think.

I really think it’s down to your own body and biological rhythm though - early bird or night owl... what works for you?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
How to fall asleep before midnight:
- quit your screens at least one hour before your desired bed time, replace that by a book

Ha’, the times I’ve read in bed and am so tired I’m having to read with one eye because I can’t keep both open at the same time.

Though it needs to be an exceptional book to force me to stay awake that long. :somber:

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I wake up about 7-7:30... Naturally. I usually get a full 8 hours.

I don't need to be up at 5. I don't need to sleep 2 hours a night. I don't need to squeeze 30 hours into a day. I don't need an alarm clock.

For those of you that DO wake up at 4-5 am and CRUSH "IT" a billion hours a week... I have a question for you: What is work?
In my case, considering I still have my 9to5 I have to find a time where I can be focused and 100% productive without any interruption or distraction. This time comes early morning when people around me are sleeping!

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Whether getting up at 5am is good can depend, at least in part, on your natural chronotype (which possibly has a genetic source). Some people's bodies feel best getting up at 5. Some people's bodies feel best getting up at 8. If you have a body that naturally feels best getting up at 8, but you force yourself to get up at 5, it will most likely be counterproductive. (I didn't read the whole thread, so I hope I'm not just repeating what other folks have already said.)

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
The literal meaning of Make your bed I think is a form of discipline training. It sets up your mind to accomplish a goal the moment you wake up.

Thats why its one good practice to teach kids. :)

For me, waking up early resonates with me, I like the feeling of seeing the sunrise...gets me pumped up to do lots of my exercise and morning ritual.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Whether getting up at 5am is good can depend, at least in part, on your natural chronotype (which possibly has a genetic source). Some people's bodies feel best getting up at 5. Some people's bodies feel best getting up at 8. If you have a body that naturally feels best getting up at 8, but you force yourself to get up at 5, it will most likely be counterproductive. (I didn't read the whole thread, so I hope I'm not just repeating what other folks have already said.)
Oh wow ok did not think of that at all. Do you have any link or read you would recommend on the natural chronotype and its impact? I would be interested in reading more about it. Thanks Kruiser

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Used to wake up at 5 AM for years. Worked great when I still had a job. Now that I have more free time, it's no longer necessary. With 10 trainings/week, I feel my body needs a lot more sleep.

It also depends from person to person if waking up early is good or bad for you. You can find it out here: https://thepowerofwhenquiz.com/ (I'm a wolf.)
Thanks for the link I am going to check that :)

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
If you have a busy 9-5 schedule, this is really worthy.
You end up having more time to get ready for the day and all those benefits that we all know but if you haven't a tight schedule I don't see much benefits from it.
One of the problem is that you start to live a kinda of alternative lifestyle, while all your friends are going out at night, you just feel like you can't relate to that anymore, when they are warming up for the night, your internal clock says that its time to go to bed and its hard to turn it off at the weekends or holidays so you start to discover new people, new places and new habits...Its a totally different lifestyle but way healthier for you wallet and body.
But more important than waking up early is getting enough sleep.
I concur on the sleep and it's true that early wake ups suits better a 9-5 schedule!

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
I get up around 5:15, get my workout and a good meal in, read for a half hour or so and sit and chill for a short time and be grateful for everything. I feel like you have to take everything in once in a while or even daily if possible. You are never guaranteed tomorrow. Also make the bed every morning! Becomes habit/routine rather quickly.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I get up around 5:15, get my workout and a good meal in, read for a half hour or so and sit and chill for a short time and be grateful for everything. I feel like you have to take everything in once in a while or even daily if possible. You are never guaranteed tomorrow. Also make the bed every morning! Becomes habit/routine rather quickly.
Haha I think I will create another poll asking who make their bed in the morning. Quite a few people talked about it here. Thank you for your message :) I have a similar routine now and can see the added value.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Oh wow ok did not think of that at all. Do you have any link or read you would recommend on the natural chronotype and its impact? I would be interested in reading more about it. Thanks Kruiser

@Mark Fobo , Sorry for my delay in responding. Here are a few links. I haven't researched the issue of chronotype heavily and don't have a good sense of how solid the underlying research is.

Chronotypes: Discover Yours and Get the Best Sleep Ever | Tuck Sleep
Podcast #369: When — The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing | The Art of Manliness

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I'm personally more interested in less sleep overall. Imagine only needing 4 hours of sleep instead of 8, that's life changing.
I believe it's achievable, but I haven't succeeded yet.
4 hours is really tough for me I am foggy the whole day, tend to skip gym and have less focus... Really hard one..

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Hi all,

So I recently tried to change my habits and wake up at 5am while going to bed much earlier in the evening. I used my morning time to work on my project, organise my day and thoughts and work out. Results have been good although there are some drawbacks I address in my video.

Are some of you guys doing the same, what is your experience and observations about this?

View: https://youtu.be/5fX1uNEjpWw

For a few years I have been on the following schedule:
Monday Tuesday 3am
Wednesday Thursday 4am
Friday 5am

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
4 hours is really tough for me I am foggy the whole day, tend to skip gym and have less focus... Really hard one..

of course, same for me and most people. Our bodies and minds are not up to it.
I believe it's possible to reach that level though.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
What about the weekend? Were you catching up?

Saturday usually up at 7am and in the office from 10-5
Sunday sleep and rest day, prep for upcoming week

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.