The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thanks Dad!

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
In my quest for fastlane success, I'd like to thank my Dad for showing me (and Marco for reiterating) that the slow lane isn't the only lane

He was the ultimate get rich quick guy when I was a kid in the 80's, you name it, he tried it!

He ultimately had a number of businesses, from a caravan park, video store and finally a real estate agency, and that's not counting the number of other things he had on the side.

So i guess I get my entrepreneurial zeal from there, but that said, I also got an awful lot of the 'study hard, get a good job' dogma as well. As a parent myself now, its hard to try to find the balance between reasonable life advice and the 'sky is the limit' (my boy wants to play professional Football / Soccer).

Long story short, he's the reason (in a good way) that I've always wondered if there isn't a better way to live, rather than trading time for money.

In a delightfully abbreviated back story, up til this point, I'm a relatively successful slow laner! I've got a good job, that pays pretty well really, and I've tried to make it work for me as much as I could, I contract back to my employer, so I can income split with the wife, and make sure I get paid first, and the government last, but I'm still just selling time for money.

Whilst I've had a lot of FTM's over the years, my FTE really stems from a realisation that my industry, that I've committed a solid 15 years to, is dying, and quickly! With the ever increasing use of big data and algorithms, my previous secure white collar job is looking rather less secure.

So anyway, 18 months ago I've had the big idea... my wife likes to call it 'my least shit idea' (which is definitely the title of my book I'll write one day!)

18 months of living in the valley of dispair, at the bottom of the J curve, my little idea is starting to come out of the ground... many many hours of thought, many false starts, and many wasted 'action faking' hours as finally starting to come to fruition...

As Marco has said repeatedly, ideas don't mean anything, its execution that counts.. but that said, after 18 months work, I can't quite bring myself to give you the details just yet.. so consider me still in stealth mode!

This is my big forum introduction, hopefully as I launch in the next couple of months, I'll be able to share my journey in more details, but in the mean time, a community of like minded thinkers has helped to keep the fire alive... so thanks!

Dave!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
I earnestly hope your title was just a click bait, and that you don't harbour any negative energy towards your dad. Ultimately, we, and only we, are responsible for our own outcomes -- irrespective of our upbringing or present circumstances.

Anyway, welcome to the forums... and good luck with your new venture!

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
but in the mean time, a community of like minded thinkers has helped to keep the fire alive... so thanks!

Dave!

i don't believe people here are really like minded

most users never post anything . they are just lurking once in a while

they will never become milionaires, like most entrepreneurs, according to statistics.

i won't either.

in any audience, there is always a minority of real like minded people

other people are there because they saw guys in the room while wandering around and they want to know what is going on .

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
WTF ... I only see praise in the text and solid reasoning. Where is the victim mentality?

Hi Dave, I am looking forward to reading more!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Dave, appreciate the intro.

I suppose I've got a complicated relationship with my Dad.

A complicated relationship is better than no Dad!

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Update - after response from my opening post, I've re-edited it to avoid confusion (including title and opening paragraphs).

Was meant to be a tongue in cheek thanks to my dad for my pervading entrepreneurial mindset, but came across as being 'poor me' (the opposite to what I intended!)

Turns out my particular brand of humour isn't quite as clear cut as I'd thought.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...