The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Text Messaging Abbreviations - (for business & personal)

speed-racer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 6, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Hello.

FYI -

I thought this resource may be useful - "Text Messaging Abbreviations".

I tend to use 'HTH' a lot which is 'Hope This Helps' or 'btw' (by the way) or IMHO (In my humble opinion) or the version without the 'H'. On the other hand, I am sometimes thinking 'WT..' well, you know what the 3rd letter is -- 'H' ('heck' - yeah, right). :)

If you have some favorites, feel free to let me know, as I'm curious.

I hope this thread is okay to post in this forum as I've made and will be making more references to more abbreviations both here and elsewhere.

Enjoy!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
SMH (Shaking My Head)

Could you use that in a sentence please? Sure.

"The newspaper advertised a yard cleaning service for approximately $500, but as soon as they got to MJ's house and saw how well-off he was, the price nearly tripled, smh."

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
They left off my new favorite, daughter taught it to me: IYQ (say it out loud)

speed-racer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 6, 2009
Cleveland, OH
SMH (Shaking My Head)

Could you use that in a sentence please? Sure.

"The newspaper advertised a yard cleaning service for approximately $500, but as soon as they got to MJ's house and saw how well-off he was, the price nearly tripled, smh."
I really like this!

They left off my new favorite, daughter taught it to me: IYQ (say it out loud)
Wow, I wouldn't have put those two together. I guess that's what keeps the communication gap between kids and parents alive and well. At least she told you what it is. Good daughter!

Hey folks, keep 'em comin'.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
It drives me nuts how they work their way into regular communication.

They have no place in any business communication.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey

Why not? I mean, if it makes things just a little faster and a little easier and they are widely recognized and understood, then what's the problem? I could understand avoiding saying things like LMFAO in a business conversation (lol) but I have no problem with btw, ttyl, imo, etc. (imho). :smug2:

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
It makes you look uneducated.

I guess it depends on the situation. I wouldn't use it while talking to anyone I was trying to impress but if you're talking to your partner or one of your employees or anyone else you're particularly comfortable with, then I think it's okay.

G-99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 9, 2008

Omg <---(joking) I agree with you. Nothing drives me crazy than getting an email back from a coworker that has TY on it. I don’t text so the first time I saw this I thought they were call me a name and I had to Google it. I was skimming through that list and some of those abbreviations are funny, for example: KEWL, why can’t you just type in cool? It has the same amount of letters and you already know how to spell it. I can see it now two friends sitting next to each other one is texting stops looks at his friend with a weird look on his face and says, hey man what is the abbreviation for “coolâ€. :smx4::rofl:
Maybe it is me but I have to think a lot more when I have to read messages like that.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I always laugh when I see people posting for jobs using such abbreviations.

But really its just sad because these people are hurting themselves, even though they don't realize it.

These abbreviations are only appropriate when your 15 and texting your friends, its not cute when your an adult. I can assure you your banker, accountant, attorney, peers, customers, and employee's do not think they are cute.

speed-racer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 6, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all - Great conversation!

I have to say that I don't believe these abbreviations have a place in formal or near formal correspondence. I have (do) use it with folks I do business with when using e.g. Instant Messenger (IM) as that seems to be an acceptable application.

As a rule, I don't use it in E-mail as I consider it more of a formal nature depending on who the recipient is. But what's worse, I find too many professionals who don't seem to know how to write formal correspondence if their life depended on it - especially in the younger generation.

As more STUPID words are being added to our dictionaries as accepted in practice just because terms are used more often now (originating out of ignorance), "it don't make it right!"

"Conversate" is NOT a word! I'm sure that it's on its way into Merriam-Webster.

Abbreviations have their place, but using it as a substitute for formalities is IMHO, NOT appropriate. I'm sure it is becoming the norm, though.:smx4: What a shame.

ethanhunt3055

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011
I do believe that abbreviations gives some importance in the text messaging because it creates humor and people always like these kind of humor. I must say that adding these words in your business text messages will give you some extra attention but you gotta bring some good and to the point word.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
If it's a text getting typed on my blackberry, it's probably going to get abbreviated for the simple fact that I have fingers that seem marginally too large for the stupid little buttons. If its email, I refuse.

Here's another problem with the abbreviations that Hatteras missed......

It becomes habit. When it becomes habit, you do it without thinking. When you do it without thinking, the filter gets turned off. lol A little like cussing really.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.