The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tech Start-Up Progress/Execution

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ModernMale

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 12, 2019
Australia
After finding a product that fills a need, I've decided to go all in on the execution. This thread is for me to keep progressing and stay accountable, so I will post updates in this thread fortnightly (or more frequently, depending on meaningful progress).

I have made it my commitment to be a successful entrepreneur, and that the journey ahead will be extremely tough. Whether this ends up being my fastlane business or a learning experience, I am going to share it all here on this forum.

If you have any advice or recommendations, connections or resources that you can point in my direction as my journey progresses, I will highly appreciate it.

Background

The product is in tech, and in the emerging area of smart wearables. I won't lie, the product concept is not original, and there are several competitors in the market. However, my product has enough USPs to stand out, and fills an existing/emerging NEED. Also, at the end of the day it is about EXECUTION not the idea, therefore I am aiming to execute superior to my competitors (thus creating a Productocracy).

It also follows the CENTS commandments, and thus a potential Fastlane if it is executed correctly.

My goal is to build a working prototype within the next 6-12 months and then obtain capital for further R & D and eventually, mass-production.

Currently I am working two full-time jobs to help fund the venture, and spending all my spare hours on the business. Once it reaches the point of bringing in income I will quit and focus full-time on the business.

Current Progress

Being based in Australia, I have just finished registering an ABN and ACN.

Once the ACN is finished being approved I will be building the website and registering the domain name (something I have some skills in).

I have done research on the materials, features and design of my product. I have contacted suppliers to obtain the raw materials necessary to build my prototype - I should receive quotes within the next few days.

I have reached out to local electronics design firms to engage in building the prototype as well.

In the meanwhile, I am studying every day on the technical knowledge of the product, while building my coding skills through codeacademy.

Conclusion

I know that was a lot, and if you have managed to get to the end, I thank you.

Any feedback, advice or help would be extremely appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
My goal is to build a working prototype within the next 6-12 months

Hat off to your plan my modern man.

Just keep abreast of new developments. Tech stuff changes as I am typing this!

But the overall forecast looks sunny and clear. :)

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Sounds like an adventure! I'm curious... are the materials especially expensive, and that's why you need two full time jobs to fund this development? I'm surprised you find time and motivation after (presumably) 80 hours of work in the week. At the same time I admire the work ethic.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
Fellow Aussie here who’s been through the product development process. Make sure you claim your R&D spend back through the R&D rebate. You’ll get 43% back (presuming you don’t have profits).

I have reached out to local electronics design firms to engage in building the prototype as well.

A word from hard-learned experience... whatever time/cost they quote you, expect it to be 2-3x more so you’re prepared financially and mentally. It’s Hofstadter’s Law in effect: Hofstadter's law - Wikipedia

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ModernMale

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 12, 2019
Australia
Hat off to your plan my modern man.

Just keep abreast of new developments. Tech stuff changes as I am typing this!

But the overall forecast looks sunny and clear. :)

Thank you! That report also had some helpful data which I found very useful.

Sounds like an adventure! I'm curious... are the materials especially expensive, and that's why you need two full time jobs to fund this development? I'm surprised you find time and motivation after (presumably) 80 hours of work in the week. At the same time I admire the work ethic.

Bills gotta be paid :eek: and with Australia heading to a recession, I'm trying to save as much money as possible - there is no guarantee of finding investors, so better be safe than sorry lol.

Thanks for the positive feedback - though I'm starting to feel that the workload makes progress slow and may need to reduce the hours.

Fellow Aussie here who’s been through the product development process. Make sure you claim your R&D spend back through the R&D rebate. You’ll get 43% back (presuming you don’t have profits).

A word from hard-learned experience... whatever time/cost they quote you, expect it to be 2-3x more so you’re prepared financially and mentally. It’s Hofstadter’s Law in effect: Hofstadter's law - Wikipedia

Thanks for that! I have arranged to fly to Sydney to meet them face-to-face. I'll take your advice when I see them.

What kind of product are you developing?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.