The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Taxes on Cryptocurrency questions (U.S.A.)

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Yes I know, it's that time again. Tax season. Time to open your wallet and give Uncle Sam his cut for "keeping you safe" or whatever mystical bs they come up with. They want to vacuum every single nickel and dime that they are owned.

Now I know that many of us have crypto gains and I want to ask questions to serious people who either are accountants, tax lawyers, or people with a lot of experience in the field.

I know that crypto counts as property and over one year counts as long-term capital gains.

But what if I transferred one alt-currency to another alt-currency and realized gains this year? Do I pay taxes on the gains or only when I exchange it back into fiat? I've heard so many conflicting sides and I wanted a clear answer. I assume the former.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
You could... use btc-e (different name now) and wire to a offshore account...? Or sell the BTC in person...for cash...? Idk.

Some things I've thought about.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
The technical answer is: whenever you trade from one currency to another (whether from fiat to alt, or alt to alt), you must recognize a gain or loss on that transaction. Depending on your level of activity, this could be tricky (to say the least). The IRS of course has not put out too much guidance on this.

How you ultimately end up reporting it is a discussion between you and whomever signs your return, and the level of risk the two of you are comfortable with.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
You could... use btc-e (different name now) and wire to a offshore account...? Or sell the BTC in person...for cash...? Idk.

Some things I've thought about.
This is called tax evasion. I'd be careful about posting such thoughts publicly.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
As CareCPA said, you owe tax on each transaction, whether Fiat-to-Crypto, Crypto-to-Fiat or Crypto-to-Crypto...

There's a great app called CoinTracking (cointracking.com) that will import trades from each of the major exchanges and calculate your realized and unrealized gains for tax purposes. I couldn't imagine trying to do it by hand...nearly impossible given the complicated changes in basis through the transactions.

The software isn't cheap, but I found it worthwhile...

mike24601

Consumption Bear
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I plan to report it as short or long term capital gains and be done with it. My crypto philosophy is buy and hold, so it should be easy when the time comes. One sale, one time gain. I can see a lot of people getting reamed in the future...LOTS of people day trading crypto that possible don't even know their gains/losses for the year. Don't be that guy.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Yeah, your youtube channel is incredible and all the videos I have seen so far are really great...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom