The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taxes on Cryptocurrency questions (U.S.A.)

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Yes I know, it's that time again. Tax season. Time to open your wallet and give Uncle Sam his cut for "keeping you safe" or whatever mystical bs they come up with. They want to vacuum every single nickel and dime that they are owned.

Now I know that many of us have crypto gains and I want to ask questions to serious people who either are accountants, tax lawyers, or people with a lot of experience in the field.

I know that crypto counts as property and over one year counts as long-term capital gains.

But what if I transferred one alt-currency to another alt-currency and realized gains this year? Do I pay taxes on the gains or only when I exchange it back into fiat? I've heard so many conflicting sides and I wanted a clear answer. I assume the former.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
You could... use btc-e (different name now) and wire to a offshore account...? Or sell the BTC in person...for cash...? Idk.

Some things I've thought about.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
The technical answer is: whenever you trade from one currency to another (whether from fiat to alt, or alt to alt), you must recognize a gain or loss on that transaction. Depending on your level of activity, this could be tricky (to say the least). The IRS of course has not put out too much guidance on this.

How you ultimately end up reporting it is a discussion between you and whomever signs your return, and the level of risk the two of you are comfortable with.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
You could... use btc-e (different name now) and wire to a offshore account...? Or sell the BTC in person...for cash...? Idk.

Some things I've thought about.
This is called tax evasion. I'd be careful about posting such thoughts publicly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I plan to report it as short or long term capital gains and be done with it. My crypto philosophy is buy and hold, so it should be easy when the time comes. One sale, one time gain. I can see a lot of people getting reamed in the future...LOTS of people day trading crypto that possible don't even know their gains/losses for the year. Don't be that guy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.