The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taxes on Averages

Taxes and regulation

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
Quick question, if I am calculating the average profit, is there a way I can factor in sales tax? For example, lets say I'm talking about iPhone sales and I'm predicting my average profit per phone is $70. Could I take that number and subtract from it tax of 8.25% (texas), to accurately measure the profit?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I believe you're talking about calculating net income (what you take home) from gross income (what you made before tax). Not sure what the tax rate is in texas but you can just use

Gross Income x (1-taxrate as decimal) = Net Income

So for example, if your tax rate is actually 8.25%, as a decimal it is 0.0825 making your calculation

$70 x (1-0.0825) = $64.23
OR
$70 x 0.9175= $64.23

That's the calculation but the tax rate depends on what your states tax rate is, and how you choose to pay yourself which I won't get into, but some examples:

SOLE PROPRIETOR - you get taxed as personal income
LTD Company, paying yourself the profit as an employee - get taxed as personal income but not at company level because you've expensed out payroll.
LTD Company, paying yourself the profit as a dividend - get taxed on profit at company level and then again on dividend payment to yourself possibly.

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
I believe you're talking about calculating net income (what you take home) from gross income (what you made before tax). Not sure what the tax rate is in texas but you can just use

Gross Income x (1-taxrate as decimal) = Net Income

So for example, if your tax rate is actually 8.25%, as a decimal it is 0.0825 making your calculation

$70 x (1-0.0825) = $64.23
OR
$70 x 0.9175= $64.23

That's the calculation but the tax rate depends on what your states tax rate is, and how you choose to pay yourself which I won't get into, but some examples:

SOLE PROPRIETOR - you get taxed as personal income
LTD Company, paying yourself the profit as an employee - get taxed as personal income but not at company level because you've expensed out payroll.
LTD Company, paying yourself the profit as a dividend - get taxed on profit at company level and then again on dividend payment to yourself possibly.
Would an LTD be something like an LLC?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
From what I can tell, yeah an LTD is the equivalent of an LLC.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.