The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

“But Jamie, How Are You Going to Afford All Those Taxes?!?!”

jahelmie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
May 13, 2011
Missouri
My dad hates that I don’t have a career / job. He’s one of those nay sayers, always telling me as a child that you have to have a lot of money to make a lot of money.

Even as a child I would ask, “Well, then how did the person who has a lot of money, get the money to make all of his money?” “Inherited it!” He would say.

When he learned about the several houses I flipped, two houses I rent out, and one lot I am building another rental on he became extremely scared for me.

I made and still have roughly over 300k from the various flips I have done in the past couple years, combined with the vehicles I flipped as well.

But, even knowing that he asked me something that blew my mind the other day when we were talking about my real estate - properties and flips.

He said…

Jamie…. “What are you going to do come tax time? How are you going to afford all of those taxes? You really need to quit this and just get a real job.”

Uhhh… What?!?!? I looked at him with a face as if I just got hit with the sTooPet Steck

Something isn’t clicking up in that ole noggin of his. He’s getting old, but he’s not senile. How could anyone think this way?
When I try to explain what I’m doing. I feel like I’m talking to a 3 year old who’s on his knees pushing a toy car around. “Hello? Please listen to me when I’m taking.”

When the conversation is over, I watch him shake his head in disappointment because, as he puts it, “This whole thing you’re doing is just silly!”

On another note, with all the write offs, I doubt I paid a fraction of what he paid in taxes from my real estate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
He's peanut butter and jealous

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
571%
Apr 17, 2022
The real question is - why do you keep talking about this with him?

Some people have already made up their minds and no amount of debate - or even tangible proof - is going to wake them up from their delusional worldview.

Trying to explain fastlane to a slowlaner is the equivalent of telling a flat-earther that the world... is actually round.

They will never believe or understand it, and you will both get upset in the process.

So save your business talk for business-oriented people and find better topics to discuss with your family.

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." - Matthew 7:6

jahelmie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
May 13, 2011
Missouri
The real question is - why do you keep talking about this with him?

Some people have already made up their minds and no amount of debate - or even tangible proof - is going to wake them up from their delusional worldview.

Trying to explain fastlane to a slowlaner is the equivalent of telling a flat-earther that the world... is actually round.

They will never believe or understand it, and you will both get upset in the process.

So save your business talk for business-oriented people and find better topics to discuss with your family.

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." - Matthew 7:6
Good point, but it’s not a subject I bring up. He asks me questions and my responses are merely for respecting his interest in my life. Even if it’s not the “see the world” Military life he wanted for me.

I only shared this to show how people can have very different perspectives despite showing clear success, in a sense. I realize my current ventures have been self-employed and that’s why I continue to reach out on this forum to learn from people, such as yourself, how I can provide the most value to this world and, in the near future, to be able to share my knowledge from my perspective with others. Which is how we grow as people. I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
My dad hates that I don’t have a career / job. He’s one of those nay sayers, always telling me as a child that you have to have a lot of money to make a lot of money.

Even as a child I would ask, “Well, then how did the person who has a lot of money, get the money to make all of his money?” “Inherited it!” He would say.

When he learned about the several houses I flipped, two houses I rent out, and one lot I am building another rental on he became extremely scared for me.

I made and still have roughly over 300k from the various flips I have done in the past couple years, combined with the vehicles I flipped as well.

But, even knowing that he asked me something that blew my mind the other day when we were talking about my real estate - properties and flips.

He said…

Jamie…. “What are you going to do come tax time? How are you going to afford all of those taxes? You really need to quit this and just get a real job.”

Uhhh… What?!?!? I looked at him with a face as if I just got hit with the sTooPet Steck

Something isn’t clicking up in that ole noggin of his. He’s getting old, but he’s not senile. How could anyone think this way?
When I try to explain what I’m doing. I feel like I’m talking to a 3 year old who’s on his knees pushing a toy car around. “Hello? Please listen to me when I’m taking.”

When the conversation is over, I watch him shake his head in disappointment because, as he puts it, “This whole thing you’re doing is just silly!”

On another note, with all the write offs, I doubt I paid a fraction of what he paid in taxes from my real estate.
“I am making so much money in the business that the tax is going to make me broke.”

That’s such a beautiful and innovative pick up line that is bound to make ladies laugh.

Tell him “Dad don’t worry, I am saving money now for an advanced MBA that is going to land me the job in fortune 500 company with 28 days paid leaves and free sashimi offered in pantry!”

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.