We always discuss manifesting our dreams and taking action. I have a real world story I would like to share briefly. In my area we are fairly rural. A lot of land but also very depressed. It's not simply depressed from the recession but it's always been fairly depressed. I had this idea, which originally was not my own, and talked with many people about it. The idea was to buy up a large chunk of land, stake out garden plots and rent them out. Now this wouldn't necessarily be a long term thing. I guess it could be, but it was to take advantage of the recession and rent out garden plots to people for real cheap. People could come, grow their own gardens, not have to buy land and it would save on the grocery bill. It had to be close enough for everyone that it wouldn't cost much in gas to get there.
Well I just read about a couple who are doing this right in my area for the 2012 season. They have the land already bought and have sectioned off areas. They have over 60 acres of land, which 45+ is able to be used for gardens. They have sectioned off 40 garden plots per acre. This allows plenty of wiggle room.
They already have gone around and begun to get clients. It is super cheap. They are charging $55 for a plot for the entire season. You have to go and till and weed your own plot, buy your own seeds and plant them etc. They just allow you access to the land and 1 garden plot.
So I did the math. Let's say 45 acres times 40 garden plots per acre. That is 1800 garden plots. I think I remember reading they had a couple thousand gardens staked out but let's say they are able to rent out ALL 1800 of them for $55 each. Their potential for a year is $99,000. ($110k for 2,000 plots) They aren't hiring anyone. It's just the couple. I assume they have to pay off the land unless they already owned it. Not sure what the deal is on that. There must be some sort of fee or license and liability insurance they have to pay off. The wife is a teacher and the husband was recently laid off at a mill. Kids are grown and gone.
Anyway, I had read somewhere about someone doing this and thought it was a great idea. I always thought, "hey maybe some day". But that sort of thinking of "maybe some day" will not make you rich.
But let's think about this. If they can sit on this and earn roughly $100k per year (not much overhead), plus live off of what his wife does for teaching, then you can save away or reinvest a lot of that. Do this for several years and you could sell it off as a business for a nice junk of change.
Great idea but what is better, this couple TOOK ACTION!!!!
Well I just read about a couple who are doing this right in my area for the 2012 season. They have the land already bought and have sectioned off areas. They have over 60 acres of land, which 45+ is able to be used for gardens. They have sectioned off 40 garden plots per acre. This allows plenty of wiggle room.
They already have gone around and begun to get clients. It is super cheap. They are charging $55 for a plot for the entire season. You have to go and till and weed your own plot, buy your own seeds and plant them etc. They just allow you access to the land and 1 garden plot.
So I did the math. Let's say 45 acres times 40 garden plots per acre. That is 1800 garden plots. I think I remember reading they had a couple thousand gardens staked out but let's say they are able to rent out ALL 1800 of them for $55 each. Their potential for a year is $99,000. ($110k for 2,000 plots) They aren't hiring anyone. It's just the couple. I assume they have to pay off the land unless they already owned it. Not sure what the deal is on that. There must be some sort of fee or license and liability insurance they have to pay off. The wife is a teacher and the husband was recently laid off at a mill. Kids are grown and gone.
Anyway, I had read somewhere about someone doing this and thought it was a great idea. I always thought, "hey maybe some day". But that sort of thinking of "maybe some day" will not make you rich.
But let's think about this. If they can sit on this and earn roughly $100k per year (not much overhead), plus live off of what his wife does for teaching, then you can save away or reinvest a lot of that. Do this for several years and you could sell it off as a business for a nice junk of change.
Great idea but what is better, this couple TOOK ACTION!!!!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
