The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Take The Money and Run or Higher Secured Income?

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
Here is my situation:

At 15 years of service I have to make a decision:

Take $30,000 and have a reduced pension
or don't take it and have a higher pension.

Here is some figures:

The first column is my age at retirement
The second column is the pension per year if I take the $30,000
The Third column is the pension if I do not take the $30,000

Retirement Year 1 - Age 46 $37,630 vs. $42,846
Retirement Year 8 - Age 53 $43,225 vs. $52,695
Retirement Year 16 - Age 61 $50,645 vs. $66,752
Retirement Year 17 Age 62 $68,755 vs. $68,755
Retirement Year 25 Age 70 $80,557 vs. $87,097
Retirement Year 30 Age 75 $88,942 vs. $100,969
Retirement Year 35 Age 80 $98,199 vs. $117,051
Retirement Year 40 Age 85 $108,420 vs. $135,694

Here is also a chart showing the figures:

http://tinyurl.com/2tvxpn

The question is can I take $30,000 and make roughly $500 per month cashflow from that and increase it by 3.5% per year? My thoughts are a multi-unit and add value?

What would you do?

Just trying to generate some ideas and pro and cons?

Lance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RAiMA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 24, 2007
Sydney, Australia
So you're looking for a vehicle that roughly makes 23.5% in cashflow p.a. or 2% per month in cashflow.

Options on the stock market, either by covered calls or stock collars come to mind.

You can also consider cfd's (not sure if they're available in the US) or futures if you're good with market analysis and picking trends, but they're more of a long term vehicle. Good if you're good at managing money.

Before taking any steps, I'd suggest doing a lot of research into these vehicles and creating the mindset before commiting. Consider them as driving lessons for getting you from A to B in your financials.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Lance-

Any chance your bennies would change after you were out?

-Russ H.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
We should be grandfathered in to any future changes.

Example: Eliminating the pension and going to a matched 401(k)

They have been talking about this and we have been told we would be grandfathered in to any pension changes.

I could also get some disability, got some hearing loss? That would bump it up 10-20% but I am not counting on it.

The figures are also COLA'd at 2.5% increases which is conservative.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
You might want to factor in fed and state taxes into the $30,000 payout. When I received my 30k SRB lump payment, I ended up receiving a lot less than I was expecting.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
just so we have all the variables-
do you start recieving the pension payout the same year your recieve the 30k, or is there a gap?

If it is simultanious, it is 6 years roughly to break even point. After that, it is a 5k+ deficit. After 8 years, it is roughly 9k per year deficit. So in 6 years, can you have 30k generating 5k+ per year?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I would take the money and run for sure....

Why?

1) I decided long ago not to depend on anyone for my income (government, pensions, and SS included)

2) I believe that I could take 30K (or less after tax) and turn it into more than what your pension payments would be.

3) I would have oh-so-much more fun doing #2.

How would I do it?

That's not really the point.... As Steve O says, Find Your Pony.

If you make up your mind to Find the Pony, Learn all you can about the Pony, then Ride the Pony...

You will have a fun ride and get to your destination.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Take the money & run, invest & work what you want to work instead of what you have to work. If I understand your calc. you are giving up 500 a month? $16.50 a day not to have to work at a JOB, you still get your bennies and you have time to do your investing on your own? What was the question.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
I would take the money and run for sure....

2) I believe that I could take 30K (or less after tax) and turn it into more than what your pension payments would be.

I do not pay into the pension.

The questions truly is, can I make the difference in the pension payouts by investing the $30K minus taxes or should I not take the $30k and have a higher life time pension payout.

At this time I will still be maxing my 401(k) and A Roth and my wifes 401(k) and Roth. As well as doing real estate deals, hopefully the big 100+ Unit types.

Lance

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I do not pay into the pension.

I should have written "the payments you receive from the pension"

The questions truly is, can I make the difference in the pension payouts by investing the $30K minus taxes or should I not take the $30k and have a higher life time pension payout.

At this time I will still be maxing my 401(k) and A Roth and my wifes 401(k) and Roth. As well as doing real estate deals, hopefully the big 100+ Unit types.

Lance

So, it sounds like the "path" you want to take is apartment buildings. Your 30K can give you a start there if you decide to partner up for the first deal.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ok, I am a spreadsheet geek, so I built one to simulate this scenario.

30k=after tax 21k earning 12%/year and assuming all earnings are rolled into balance. Pension starts drawing 6 years after recieving the 21k.

Retirement Year 1 of retirement 21k will be 41,450 and will earn 4974 net compared to pension approx -250 not in your favor

Year 8 21k will be 91,633 and earn 10,966 net compared to pension approx 1500 in your favor, and it gets better from there.

Math says take the 30k and run like the wind. You can do much better than 12% per year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.