The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Take every "sales" call

A post of a ranting nature...

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Been thinking about this for a while now and it can be a controversial take, but I'm now of the opinion that you should take every sales call that comes your way.

Why?

Here's a few reasons:
1) Opportunity to learn a new sales tactic
I was recently impressed by a certain phrase a salesperson made to me the other day. It was probably the result of a whole heap of trial and error on his part. He said something to the effect of, "Can I count on you to help the foundation do XYZ?". Even though it didn't work on me, I was somewhat amused by it, and may even adopt it in my own sales process. A new tactic I learned (for free) that I otherwise wouldn’t have.

2) Opportunity to hire talent
If you constantly come into contact with skilled, persistent and friendly salespeople, you are essentially able to find the ideal employee without doing any rigorous recruiting. Getting them to join you may be the hard part, but if you can incentivize them correctly, you're effectively building the optimal sales army that you've been vetting for a prolonged period of time without even realizing it.

3) Opportunity to learn about competition
Yelp seems to do this quite often. In an attempt to make a sale, sometimes sales guys let some competitive information slip out. This may be intentional in an attempt to have you jump on the bandwagon or capitalize on F.O.M.O. (if your competitors are indeed using their solution), but this free data can help you get a leg up on the competition or devise a strategy against such action. If you were to wait to find out such information on the open marketplace, it may already be too late to respond to.

4) Opportunity to make money
When I was running a few retail stores, salespeople would always call with an offer of value - whether it be a software solution, an industry-specific product, or something of that nature. As an expert in your field, you should be able to weigh up the pros, cons, and what impact it could have on your business. Sometimes, the product is inferior. In other instances, it could be a gamechanger, providing the opportunity to boost revenue and gain market share as an early adopter and first mover of the product. However, you’d never know unless you entertain the call in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Rant over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Good rant. I even pay attention to my spam emails often seeing how today's scams/social engineering links are progressing. There is always something to learn.

5) Personal Development
Having the confidence to accept whatever is coming towards you with open thoughts. Even though it may not be the most effective use of your time or effective method it still improves your character and mind in the long run. Just as with door knocking there's 10 other marketing avenues you could go down that are better for your time and money but don't provide as much as discipline and confidence rewards in the long term and instant market validation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.