The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Sales Call After Slump... 2 Quick Questions.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Just had my first sales call after a bit of a "slump"

A Little Context:
The service is essentially one that helps secure and verify people's investments so that the money they invest gets into the right hands.

To build something that would encapsulate the entirety of this business seems that it may be somewhat costly and time consuming. Especially if they want it to operate as effective and efficiently as something like Uber.

I am thinking that maybe I should steer him towards building a more simple website/landing page to ensure that we don't build out something big no one wants.

Questions:
1. Am I foolish if I direct a potential customer to a smaller project?

2. Should this project progress; should I take on a large project that exceeds my current capabilities?

I have like zero experience with backend development, I've never have really hired anyone else for tech related work, I wouldn't know where to really begin in getting accurate estimates for all required expenses for such a project.

Sorry, if this sounds like self-doubt. I am just trying to be realistic and make the best decision for myself and this potential client.

Thanks in advance :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Just had my first sales call after a bit of a "slump"

A Little Context:
The service is essentially one that helps secure and verify people's investments so that the money they invest gets into the right hands.

To build something that would encapsulate the entirety of this business seems that it may be somewhat costly and time consuming. Especially if they want it to operate as effective and efficiently as something like Uber.

I am thinking that maybe I should steer him towards building a more simple website/landing page to ensure that we don't build out something big no one wants.

Questions:
1. Am I foolish if I direct a potential customer to a smaller project?

2. Should this project progress; should I take on a large project that exceeds my current capabilities?

I have like zero experience with backend development, I've never have really hired anyone else for tech related work, I wouldn't know where to really begin in getting accurate estimates for all required expenses for such a project.

Sorry, if this sounds like self-doubt. I am just trying to be realistic and make the best decision for myself and this potential client.

Thanks in advance :)
Do NOT take a project where you are going to fail. If you bid the bigger version of this project too low, you will drown.

Tell your client what he needs right now. Encouraging him to test his needs before he goes all-in. That will give you credibility. You may save him from making a costly mistake. And it will give you a chance to tweak things as you go along to better fit his business. You can always expand his project later as his business grows. It will also give you time to hone your skills and put together a team. You will have other clients who will have a range of projects for you to do for them.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
1. It is more valuable to provide the customer with a service that appropiately meets their needs, even if it's providing less profit to you.

2. This is bordering on purely speculatory scenarios, and doesn't really accomplish much but waste time on your end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.