The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Take a look at other humans

Anything related to matters of the mind

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
So I was asked to accompany my significant other to the mall. I dislike going to the mall because of the brainwashing and inundation of big business branding, advertising; Probably not the best entrepreneur to be anti-capitalist, but hey, we all got our beliefs.

So i figured, if I walk through a mall and don't want to be exposed to the insane amount of advertising, special deals, and sales booths, then where to look. Simple thought right? Well staring at the floor is weird; phasing out and looking straight ahead is not that easy or comfortable; so instead, I decided to look at the people.

Yeah, its sounds weird, but it's not something you pay attention to usually, yet there are obvious benefits: you're not exposed to as much corporate advertising anymore, you're not sucked in by special buy 10 get the next for free, and at the same time you're actually properly looking at other people: see what they're dressed like, how they act, etc, give you a lot of useful insight into humanity.

Maybe you think this is a crazy rant, but next time you're in a mall, give it a try.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I know how you feel. I look around a crowded place and wonder how in the hell some of people even function. The shit they fall for. The shit they care so deeply about. Selfies. Lattes. Entry BMW leases. Sports. Blowing money on junk.

It is really hard for me not to end up with a level of pessimism and narcissism. It’s something I legitimately have to work against.

Last edited:

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
A take-away from the book "Brand Seduction" for me is we still have 10,000 year old DNA. Our brains are meant for survival and movement, NOT being bombarded by ads in Wal-Mart.

And even though you didn't focus on the brands directly, you probably still picked up impressions about them subconsciously. Those people you looked at were wearing a brand of clothing. A split-second glimpse here or there, and maybe you saw a Tiffany sign or Hershey's etc. and your brain filled in the blanks on what they mean to you. And all of those subconscious cues accumulate, are stored away and eventually bubble up to a 'gut decision' the next time you decide to make a purchasing decision.

This is all theory of course from the book, but one thing is for sure - we humans are not very rational...because we don't have to be.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And here I thought this was gonna be a rant on all the people in Philadelphia losing their minds because a damn football team won a game that has zero impact on 99.99999% of the world.

Bishop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Nov 9, 2017
California

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Why can't you dissect the advertisements and apply them in your business?
Yes, of course!

But you have to be careful which shops though.

Sometimes I worry whether people march in to make actual buying or just to look around and follow a trend. You can't track that data from the outside.

I also like to see how they arrange their goods on the shopfront on display, the lighting, colour schemes (if the shop is an interior design place).

Once in a while, I snap my brain out of getting bored with shopping and try to pay attention to the salespeople attending to the buyers, especially in clothes shops and houseware places.

You'll know whether they are active salespeople, from the way they speak to the buyers, chatter among themselves or sneak a bite from the Hong Kong waffles shop outside.:playful:

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
Agreed, and it is what distinguishes the unscripted from the herd: We (try to) not be targeted or captured by the advertising, instead we deliberately focus our attention elsewhere (as I suggested in the original message), or make use of this like @LeoistheSun and @ZF Lee said and leverage learning off of the advertising. Disecting the script and learn from it, instead of being sucked in by it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Maybe you think this is a crazy rant, but next time you're in a mall, give it a try.
I actually did one of my human development research papers on observation of people in the mall. Although, you can put me in any environment, I'll observe the people and their behaviors. I suppose being in Europe I have had the opportunity to see things differently than back home.

I find human nature quite interesting. And every time I think I know, I find out I don't know anything. There is so much diversity out there. Some things I will never understand.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
So I was asked to accompany my significant other to the mall. I dislike going to the mall because of the brainwashing and inundation of big business branding, advertising; Probably not the best entrepreneur to be anti-capitalist, but hey, we all got our beliefs.

So i figured, if I walk through a mall and don't want to be exposed to the insane amount of advertising, special deals, and sales booths, then where to look. Simple thought right? Well staring at the floor is weird; phasing out and looking straight ahead is not that easy or comfortable; so instead, I decided to look at the people.

Yeah, its sounds weird, but it's not something you pay attention to usually, yet there are obvious benefits: you're not exposed to as much corporate advertising anymore, you're not sucked in by special buy 10 get the next for free, and at the same time you're actually properly looking at other people: see what they're dressed like, how they act, etc, give you a lot of useful insight into humanity.

you can't completely escape the brainwashing of this matrix because you have been living in it since you were born , unless you are a truth seeker , a spiritual master or a off-grid hermit.

by the way, i have been studying social engineering for 10 years

our society is based on brainwashing and programming of the masses

for example :

antivirus-for-the-mind-6-728.jpg

but you can reinvent yourself , focus on the right things

and choose what healthy mental food you will put in your mind everday

the books you read, the video you watch and so on

rohn.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.