The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Swim caps?

TheodoreA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 16, 2017
Guildford, UK
So currently, swim caps are boring as hell (where I live anyway), generally just block colors and not very imaginative.

I've found a factory in china that will make high quality swim caps, with any design on, for 95 cents a swim caps (including postage). On Amazon, swim caps tend to be going for about $4-$6. So I could potentially be making $3-$5 profit per swim caps.

I know swim caps seem insanely boring but a little bit of research (posted a few questionnaires on relevant sites), shows there is demand for some funkier looking swim caps that maintain decent quality and fit well.

What do you guys think? Is there something glaringly obvious here that is going to trip me up or should I just go for it? I know it's not going to make huge profits, but even selling only 100 swim caps a month would give potentially $500 profit which I could use to start something a little more profitable in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WolfHerring

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 30, 2018
You shouldn't share specific business ideas
Someone can easily steal what you just found

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I think it's a great idea. It sounds like a great niche. Reminds me of the way the motorcycle helmet evolved.

Last edited:

doinkdedoink

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 14, 2016
USA
Maybe I am missing something, but how will you be making $3-$5 profit per cap if you get them for roughly $1 and sell on AMZ for $4-$6? After AMZ fees you'll probably be making next to nothing unless you're selling in mass amounts.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I think it is a great idea. Don't know about reality though but seems reasonable.

I have not been swimming in a pool for ages but from memory lot's of women wear swim caps.

I may be a little thick here but I just had a glance at John Lewis website and under sport, then women's and men's swimwear there are no swim caps for sale at all despite the image on both tabs being someone with a swim cap on.

Women's Sports Swimwear | Women's Clothing | John Lewis

A site that does seem to do caps in more than black, white, blue etc seen to sell around £9 mark. Not the biggest range going.

Swimming Caps

Are you a regular swimmer that you noticed this potential gap?

I'm surprised that the swimsuit companies don't do matching caps so maybe you could investigate that. Or have a word with JL buyer to see why they don't sell any as women obviously wear them.

Dan

PS: By the way you may not know this being out of school now, but all kids have to go swimming for 6 weeks, I think in Year 4. Pretty sure half the girls probably stick on a cap. How about school colours on caps?

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Changing the color of something really isn't a good basis to start a business. Try and think of other ways you can add value. What if you sold swim suits with matching caps? You could branch into custom team swim suits and caps.

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
It's a good beginner niche. If you manage to build consistent demand then it can be a good passive business once you utilize FBA. If not then you wouldn't lose much money since swim caps are cheap.

Either way you will gain a lot of experience so I recommend going for it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've found a factory in china that will make high quality swim caps, with any design on, for 95 cents a swim caps (including postage). On Amazon, swim caps tend to be going for about $4-$6. So I could potentially be making $3-$5 profit per swim caps.

I think you mean that you could potentially make negative $0.60 to $1.00 per swim cap.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.