The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions for UPC for self branded Amazon products

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
I guess you have to have UPC's for everything now on amazon. Does anyone have a suggestion or a favorite company they go with to purchase UPC's. I'm kind of clueless with this, so any advice would be a huge help. I did a google search and found a bunch of options, kind of overwhelming to figure out which one will work for sure. Last thing I want to do is buy a hundred and find out they don't jive with amazon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Google "buy upc codes" - there's a bunch.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Do I need a barcode on my product if I am selling it online through various channels like my own website, ebay, amazon, etsy?

I didn't think I needed one unless it was going into a retail store. (?) :confused:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Do I need a barcode on my product if I am selling it online through various channels like my own website, ebay, amazon, etsy?

I didn't think I needed one unless it was going into a retail store. (?) :confused:

You can't build an item on Amazon without it. They are super cheap to buy though… Use the site that Allen posted. You only need one UPC code per model number, not per unit.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
You can't build an item on Amazon without it. They are super cheap to buy though… Use the site that Allen posted. You only need one UPC code per model number, not per unit.

@Vigilante When I ship my products out to Amazon FBA, I usually print the labels (where there is the bar code along with the UPC code) and label my packaging. I'm currently making custom packaging. Do you know if I can just have the "label" printed on the box itself so I do not need to self label it?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@Vigilante When I ship my products out to Amazon FBA, I usually print the labels (where there is the bar code along with the UPC code) and label my packaging. I'm currently making custom packaging. Do you know if I can just have the "label" printed on the box itself so I do not need to self label it?
I believe you can as I've purchased items off amazon and noticed their FBA barcode is printed directly on the product.

Amazon does not scan your UPC barcodes. If selling via FBA you will need to apply FBA barcodes to your product (or have amazon apply them).

You will need to purchase the UPC's but you do not need the UPC barcode printed directly on the labeling or packaging if you are not going to wholesale to retail or sell in your own B&M shop.

LynnD5000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 22, 2015
Idaho
I use
http://www.barcodestalk.com
they have been very reliable - however - depending on your long term goals
http://www.GS1.ORG
is where your get "REAL" upc symbols -
Let me explain - any upc re-seller you buy from went to gs1 and bought a "bazillion" symbols from gs1 and are reselling them to you for a profit. They issue you a garrantee that that upc symbol will never be reissued to anyone else and you have the right to use it on anything you want - but the will never belong to you because it was issued to the reseller by gs1. Since you don't own the upc symbols you receive they will only work in an environment like amazon which doesn't require an authenticated "this belongs to this business" setup.
If you are going to use the upc symbols in a brick & mortor (b&m) environment you will have to have to go to gs1 and register your business any way to get a upc code and have them issued directly to you as your business.
Long Term - If you can afford it this is the best way to go because if you can sell enough of your product on amazon you might be able to set up wholesale accounts and sell it through a b&m chain - which would save you a bundle on repackaging expenses...just an idea
L

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm currently making custom packaging. Do you know if I can just have the "label" printed on the box itself so I do not need to self label it?

Yes - you can place Amazon's UPC barcode onto the actual label of your product. Make sure it's the one Amazon gives you. This is exactly what I do. No hassle when replenishing inventory.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You will need to purchase the UPC's but you do not need the UPC barcode printed directly on the labeling or packaging if you are not going to wholesale to retail or sell in your own B&M shop.

Unless you do commingled products. I only have UPC barcodes on my products, mine are all stickerless.

Kas Mackenzie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 23, 2016
I normally use officialupccodesdotcom for Amazon and Rakuten, with no issue and fast services.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
As I gear up to sell my first product on Amazon I have a UPC for it, but did not know it didn't need to actually be ON the product, this is helpful - THANKS!

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

For the love of God, get some. I really really underestimated the significance of UPC/EAN and took the same code of the product that was already sold from China on Amazon. Stupid. Very stupid.

Result? Amazon merged my listing together with the Chinese listing, even I sold with FBA.

After one month, somebody at Amazon support finally understood the problem. But to make a new list with my own UPC, I had to remove my inventory first, and resend to FBA warehouse. So I have to wait another 2 weeks till I can sell.

Luckily I started with a very small inventory as a test batch.

I got my codes from OfficialUPCCodes.com.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
If you own the product in Brand Registry you do not need a UPC, you can use an ASIN.

You will need a Pro account and to upload using the template, it can't be done through the dashboard.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.