The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SUCCESS STORY: LondonLife

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
I’ve spent a few hours putting together a rather boring story of the last 12 years of my life. If you make it through to the end, congratulations! Needless to say, I won’t be writing a book.

I was never a kid who wanted a fast track life and a fleet of Ferraris. I’d never even considered it. Of course I had the posters of cars, alongside the obligatory posters of models on my wall, but they were always something to look at that was pleasing to the eye, rather than fantasising about having. Being an entrepreneur was certainly never in my blood.

When I was around 15 I self taught myself html and search engine optimization. As a keen photographer and a fan of live music I started tribute sites to a few bands featuring the pictures I’d taken. I wasn't making money but I learnt a lot about website building and basic coding. My currency at that age was website hits. I gauged my success on it.

Knowing what I did about search engine optimization I set myself a new goal. A website that would act as a service, and make me some pocket money from advertising! What a plan! I setup a "swapping site" where people could advertise their items and swap for other items. It began as a mixed success. My hits were good... But I was just not getting big users. Only 10 active trades or so happening at a time after a few months. Advertisers weren't interested, so I was losing money on the costs. I listed many of my own items, and attained a lot of junk I didn't want in an attempt to kick start it. In my attempt to get some money to buy CDs I actually ended up trading most of the CDs I currently owned for vile music I would never listen to (and various kitchen appliances).

My first break came when a friend who had an audiovisual website and forum shut down it's classified section as it had no form of feedback for it's users and was a mess of people stealing goods without paying etc. He started pointing people my way, and my built in tools enabled his users to transfer goods quickly and easily with a solid feedback component. I went from 10 transfers at a time to 100 transfers practically overnight. Within a month I had advertisers. I was making money, albeit it very small. I had various mis-starts trying to offer different services, making it somewhat convoluted. I was basically testing out new functions, all failing rather spectacularly. In the end I simplified the design in an attempt to make it more professional and started developing the website to customers needs.

Lesson: Customer focus, customer focus, customer focus. If you have a new idea, don’t try and push it on existing customers. Gently nudge them in the direction of it, but don’t force them. Good ideas can be dragged down by bad ones, and we all have bad ideas, especially 16 year olds.

A few months later at the end of 1999 the dot-com bubble was in full swing and I was featured in a national newspaper. It featured a selection of some of the biggest websites around, and I was put in my own little section at the end as "One to watch". This was a website run by a 17 year old in his bedroom, with no money to speak of, making little revenue, but with a professional looking design and small but strong user base. Needless to say my website went from strength to strength and I sold it to a competitor in February 2000 at the peak of the boom. They promptly attempted a merger and ultimately shut it down.

Was it a mistake on my behalf? It's hard to say. I got more than it was worth because of the nature of the boom throwing cash at everyone who was breathing, but could I have made it into something huge? I'll never know. When you throw large amounts of hard cash at a 17 year old who doesn't understand business, and wasn't making huge amounts, it was impossible to say no... Needless to say it wasn't enough to retire on and own that fleet of Ferraris.

Under the guidance of my parents a chunk was put aside to buy a property for myself and put me through University on a meagre sum. This was topped up through website building, further developing my programming knowledge. The rest was put into property investment portfolios. This was a very sensible decision as UK property prices sky rocketed at this point and was increasing my worth by approximately 30% per annum.

I lived this life for two years, satisfied that I'd get a normal career but be one up on everyone else because I'd have my own property and a slush fund in investments. I was set up for life, a decent slow-track life.

Through university I met a number of other highly skilled people in the computer sciences and we would always bounce around ideas of the next big thing. The nagging thought that if I could emulate my previous luck I could make much more started to swell, perhaps I could run a business. Hell, I had the funds to start something big didn’t I?

My first major downfall came at 20. I removed all my money from investments, purchased a second property to rent out, and would use the remaining capital to fund a new endeavour. Needless to say it was a catastrophic failure.

It was an online gaming client that I rushed into with a guy who ran a small gaming server service. I paid way too much money to promote it, including paying a number of small-time games publishers to exclusively use my service through integration with their games. A bunch of under supported rubbish that often turned into vapourware. The main downfall was giving one publisher in particular a huge chunk of cash who then never materialised with any games. I then entered legal proceedings to retrieve it. I may as well have burnt the money as they went bust and couldn't pay it back. Within 12 months I'd sold my second flat I'd only just purchased, moved out of my own flat to rent out so I had some money, and threw all my liquid assets away in paying of premium subscribers to the service. I'd gone from a safe future to just about hanging onto one flat, whilst living in a friends box room, and with bills littering the floor.

The bright light a few months later was that I did manage to sell the software behind the client which covered the bills and gave me a bit of extra cash. No-where near the amount invested in this doomed project, but just enough to keep me afloat.

Lesson: Being arrogant and surrounding myself with people who think you crap gold is always a road to disaster. The “yes man†is never assertive enough to help anything but your ego. Someone needs to give you perspective once in a while.

At 21 I made a last ditch effort to re-acquire my success of 4 years prior. I had a year left on my degree, and was introduced to a group of internet entrepreneurs through a lecturer at University (Fortunately not aware of my somewhat recent downfall from grace). They had an idea to start a series of companies offering professional e-commerce services. They would all be based on the same back end from the same building, with the same staff. Being the youngest, I would take a back seat in the company to begin with providing technical knowledge, and join them properly when I had finished by degree. The aim was to start small, pay ourselves minimal wage, employ no-one else, work 60 hour weeks minimum and keeps costs to an absolute bear minimum. Anything we did make would be put straight back into the company. No new cars, no expensive nights out, nothing. We had between 5 and 7 companies operating at a time with 10 employees, all who were investors. And the best thing about it? It didn’t require huge investment. £200,000 between us would keep us in an office, pay our expenses and keep us all on minimum wage salary for an entire year, even without a single penny of income.

Though not all endeavours were entirely successful, it was easy to shift focus into those that were, due to the dynamic nature of the set-up. By the time I joined after getting my degree we had already broken the "Don't employ anyone else" rule, because we had a secretary/administrator and had brought in an extra website builder. But we all saw this as a good thing. We had too much work and too little time. Things were good. We’d already made back over double the initial investment and began reinvesting it back into the company.

For the next 18 months I developed the search engine optimization consultancy, various passive income services, and started development on a piece of market segmentation software which could be incorporated into websites, used for email lists etc. By this point we had 60+ members of staff on the consultancy side of things and had a fully self sufficient company with good profits.

Downfall Number 4: The next downfall begins. A bit of a monetary one… but primarily the loss of some friends, some high stress and some petty childish times. Due to our increasing funds and assets there was a lot of infighting within the initial group of us about what to invest the extra money in. The happy days of us sharing pizza and drinking warm beer out of cans late at night were fading into distant memory. Some guys wanted to give themselves huge wages, others wanted to grow the business further, and some wanted to start investing in other ways. There was a stupid attempt at keeping everyone happy with us splitting into groups with what everyone wanted, ultimately making no-one happy. People left and we bought them out at above their worth to avoid more fighting. It was a mess. Money was going down the drain quickly.

Lesson: Money changes people. Even people you think you know and are friends with. Don’t be surprised if it happens. You may think you don’t need a contract or a lawyer involved in investments between friends, but I can’t stress the importance enough.

In the end, two other guys and myself sold our investments to external parties. I also brought out the fledgling company providing the software I'd created for very little, and we left.

By this point I'm 24, have a big chunk of cash and own a piece of software I see a lot of potential in. The three of us re-affirm our ideas of investing further. We decided we would pick fledgling or struggling start-up e-commerce sites, provide technical support, and bankroll them.

We spent our days in meetings, training staff and pumping money away to start-ups like it was going out of fashion. I spent my evenings developing my software, and started implementing it into some of the companies we were supporting. Within 1 year I had 12 staff acting as software consultants to outside parties. A year later I had 30+ staff, and a year after that I had 93 payroll staff and countless outside consultants if and when needed.

Meanwhile the investments, with my two partners have had there own share of hits and misses. We've hit it big in some cases, and we've made big hits in others. Giving a company £2m to expand its range of clothing, only for it's buyers to buy highly expensive designer stuff when the majority of its customers are stay at home mums who couldn’t afford it. I wasn't happy with that to say the least considering the software they purchased of me would have told them otherwise!

Our philosophy is to buy young and sell on. It's very high risk but the returns can be phenomenal if you get it right. We’ve made some good money out of it and have remained strong friends throughout.

I sold my software company in October 2009, and am planning on pulling out of the day to day running of the investments. As I said in my introduction thread, some are not doing very well at the moment due to the recession and I was at risk of pumping money, including that from the sale of the company into them. It's amazing how the risk all attitude is still with me even when the sums are bigger. A frank talk with my family and friends finally made me realise my attitude was ridiculous. I'm not proud to admit it, but it was definitely a gambling attitude getting out of control. It’s so hard to get out of that mindset of "I'm going to get out when I reach £xm", achieving it and thinking it all over again.

Lesson: Seek the council of others, especially those you see as being “slow-laneâ€. They can bring you down to earth when your arrogance and stubbornness gets the better of you. Your personal life doesn’t revolve around money, and they will remind you of it.

I’m now 27 years old. A spring chicken by anyone’s books but a quick calculation in my head tells me I’ve worked too many hours for too many years for someone significantly older than me. I have met some outstanding people over the years. I’ve made some great friends, and lost others. I’ve been to the brink of bankruptcy and back.

When even the lows give you a buzz you know you have to be insane to go down this path. Was it worth it? Hell yes. I wouldn’t give up a minute of it.

I am now in a position where for the first time I have liquid capital and time on my hands. I can concentrate my time on my family and friends who have stuck by me, and repay the time of birthdays, anniversaries and weekends I’ve so often missed. My mind is swimming in a haze of “What next?â€. How can I help other people, support the charities I donate to in more ways than a monthly bank transfer, and of course, enjoying it.

Now… how do I spend it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dennis Taylor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Dec 5, 2007
Re-invest in your future and help those you care about, mentor them if they desire the same type/style of life you're living.

Teaching those you care about to be successful as you have become is the best investment you can give them.

Perhaps make them a part of one of your future endeavors, teach them, lead them to a better way of thinking and prosperity for them and their families as well.

I hope that 2010 is your best year yet.

Respectfully,

Dennis

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS! ;)

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
You have done well..............Speed +++ for you,
but remember..........You have just.......BEGUN.

I looked back and had to go back to work..........in my 40's.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Speed+ and thanks for the "Lessons" -- these stories are priceless and I thank you for taking time to write this out. At 27, you have your WHOLE LIFE ahead of you, and the Fastlane mindset to boot ... congratulations as I look forward to hearing more from you.

PV123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 12, 2010
Mexico
Londonlife,

Now is time to relax for sometime and think about family. Try to help others as much as you can.

Do not forget about you, 27 year old is nothing, there is a long way ahead.
Keep up the great work.:yourock:

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
Thank you!

I am the first to admit I am still young and need a plan for the future. I am however now in a position where I am withdrawing from high risk investments. I have achieved enough wealth that I can give those around me a fantastic life and will now be concentrating on maintaining and gradually increasing that wealth, rather than my typical “risk all” attitude. At the moment my bank is currently investing everything how they see fit, but as Dennis said above, I want to use it to reinvest in those around me instead of some faceless corporations deemed suitable by the bank.

What I’ve been working on for about a month now is a low risk test run, Property Investment. I have put an offer in on a Victorian building which contains 12 apartments and is up for sale as a group lot. My PA’s workload has dropped significantly since the sale of my company and she is interested in property management, having succesfully dabbled in it in the past. I am keen to support her in the refurbishment and letting of these properties, with the potential for her to take it over as a company in the future should she be successful.

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009
That was a great read. Its impressive how much you have achieved and how many experiences you've had as a 27 year old. Your post has given me a boost of motivation.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At the moment my bank is currently investing everything how they see fit

Are you keeping a close eye on this? If you let others control your financial affairs, you can set yourself up for some disasters ... remember, financial literacy is not nullified by a financial planner or an investment house -- literacy is insurance so you can monitor what they are doing. If your bank is taking your hard earned money and investing in US Treasuries when they're overbought, or GOLD when its overbought, you need to know.

I just don't want you to wake up one day and find out your bank lost 50% of everything you worked hard for.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Are you keeping a close eye on this? If you let others control your financial affairs, you can set yourself up for some disasters ... remember, financial literacy is not nullified by a financial planner or an investment house -- literacy is insurance so you can monitor what they are doing. If your bank is taking your hard earned money and investing in US Treasuries when they're overbought, or GOLD when its overbought, you need to know.

I just don't want you to wake up one day and find out your bank lost 50% of everything you worked hard for.

Great story London, thanks for sharing, and your writing style is really good imo. Glad to have you here.

To back what MJ said, I know someone who's bank had made exactly 2% over last 2 years off of the investment money.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

I had the same thought reading this. The story was going well until this point. Honestly, this scares the hell out of me. London, now is the time to learn finance. You have the freedom of time on your side, so start devouring books. Go to seminars. Maybe finish your degree in economics or finance. But whatever you do, learn to manage your own money. You may just find this to be a rewarding and enjoyable career in and of itself.

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London

Thanks mate. Yeah I am keeping a good eye on it. I have a 'Wealth Manager' at Coutts dealing with the day to day management, but I get constant updates, and I've got it split a number of ways at the moment.

It's roughly:
40% Fixed rate bonds with possible bonus
20% Low-mid Risk investment in a package of my choosing
30% Low Risk in a package of my choosing
10% Tax Free/Instant Access Savings/Trust Fund etc

Over the past few months they've averaged:
Fixed rate: 5.5% per annum (excl. bonus)
Low-Mid Risk: 12%(ish) per annum
Low Risk: 4% (ish) per annum
Tax Free/Instant Access: 2.8% per annum

Needless to say this is temporary until I decide how much I'll invest in personal projects. I'm aiming to cut out the low and low-mid risk investments through personal investments, maintain a fixed rate bond at a slightly higher rate when they become available, and obviously keep some in instant access/tax free etc.

I had the same thought reading this. The story was going well until this point. Honestly, this scares the hell out of me. London, now is the time to learn finance. You have the freedom of time on your side, so start devouring books. Go to seminars. Maybe finish your degree in economics or finance. But whatever you do, learn to manage your own money. You may just find this to be a rewarding and enjoyable career in and of itself.

I am currently reading a few books on finance, just to get me up to standard so I can go toe to toe with the bank if and when I need to. So far though my man at Coutts is always at the end of the phone and has so far offered a very personalised and excellent service. They're actually very good at not constantly "selling services" like some of the high street idiot financial planners. They do actually concentrate on looking after you and offer me everything I need. I've been with Coutts for a few years and they are far above and beyond your normal high street monkeys. Definitely recommend.

It's highly unlikely I'll be dealing with typical "finance" though as soon as I start developing my own personal investments. It's looking like it will be maintaining my e-commerce links, with a healthy dose of property investment on the side.

Sparky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 28, 2007
London
Awesome lessons and thanks for sharing!:great:

Being in London I'm curious about the people you surround yourself with. A couple of questions on this:

• Do you do business networking? How/where/why?
  • Are you part of a mastermind group? If so, what is your experience with them or the concept?
  • What are you doing to connect with other entrepreneur or start-ups?

Thanks,
Sparky

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
Hi Sparky,

- My role has involved a lot of networking, particularly over the last few years. Now it is primarily with other entrepreneurs and venture capitalists through a number of forums. One is the Coutts Entrepreneur Forum and an other is through Balderton who I have worked closely with on a number of projects. Surrounding yourself with fellow entrepreneurs and investors in your professional life means you learn things five times as fast. You learn from others mistakes as well as your own, which is a VERY VERY good thing. There are alot of networking options out there, especially in the big cities like London.

- Mastermind groups. Well, they CAN be a very good thing, especially for the lone entrepreneur. I have heard many positive things, but ultimately it will all depend on the people you are with. When me and my colleagues initially set up an investment company together we trial ran a few brainstorming sessions with others, but it never seemed to work out and it always seemed to have a bit of a negative vibe about it. In the end we just set up on our own, with our immediate staff. My experience wasn't particularly bad though, and in hindsight we could have spent a bit more time to get to know each other. Effectively though we already had our own group, and we saw no need to have others around us to give us drive or discuss ideas. From what I have experience people in Mastermind Groups fall into two categories, 1) A bunch of people who set benchmarks, brainstorm and provide support to each other. Or 2) A bunch of people who bring their egos into the room, shoot down others ideas and take all the information they can without providing anything themselves.

- Our initial set of start-ups were companies we were already supporting technically through our previous company. From then on it was repeat business, expansions, and introductions through those people through forums and networking. It's amazing how many people who already have a successful e-commerce site who see a gap in the market and want to set up another but don't have the capital or resources to do it. Normally (hopefully if we're an initial investor) because they're drilling everything into their initial start-up. We provided that liquidity and resources to allow them to do it.

Hope this gives an idea of how it all works.

Sparky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 28, 2007
London
Hi

Thanks, those are 2 great networking sources!:thankyousign:

I'll see you around.

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK
rep++ :)

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
Quick update.

After a serious amount of negotiation, I've finally landed the sale of the 12 apartments in South Kennsington, London. 6 weeks of negotiation, structural surveys and builders quotes! It's now in the hands of my lawyers to fialise the contracts. I am expecting to get guys in and refurbing by the middle of March.

Current benchmarks:
Middle of May: First 4 apartments on the rental market.
Middle of June: Second 4 apartments on the rental market.
Middle of July: Last 4 apartments on the rental market.

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
I just found out the apartment building isn't sealed from the elements properly due to a dodgey roof (I already knew about this bit). There is some serious fungal growth beginning to grow on the plaster boards of some of the apartments. If it gets any worse I've been told by the council that it could prove to be hazardous to human health and require a specially trained and kitted out team to remove the material.

Problem is the sale isn't fully completed for another couple of weeks so I can't get in there and sort it out ASAP. BUT within two weeks it could be too bad to deal with easily as this stuff grows exponentially.

I was gonna rip out the plaster boards anyway as part of the refurb, and am now in hurried negotiations with the current owners to let me in and sort it out before the sale is complete. If I manage to get in, then I'll be risking the outlay if the sale were to fall through. But if I leave it then it could cost me an absolute fortune.

I knew this was going too easily.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
I just found out the apartment building isn't sealed from the elements properly due to a dodgey roof (I already knew about this bit). There is some serious fungal growth beginning to grow on the plaster boards of some of the apartments. If it gets any worse I've been told by the council that it could prove to be hazardous to human health and require a specially trained and kitted out team to remove the material.

Problem is the sale isn't fully completed for another couple of weeks so I can't get in there and sort it out ASAP. BUT within two weeks it could be too bad to deal with easily as this stuff grows exponentially.

I was gonna rip out the plaster boards anyway as part of the refurb, and am now in hurried negotiations with the current owners to let me in and sort it out before the sale is complete. If I manage to get in, then I'll be risking the outlay if the sale were to fall through. But if I leave it then it could cost me an absolute fortune.

Well DAMN ! Did you buy " AS IS" ? Can you get the owners to help with the remediation costs ??:smx4:

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
Well I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't. I got these properties below their true value because the current owner needed the liquid capital. They require significant refurbishment, and with this refurb, estimates on immediate profit were I to sell them are in the region of 30% profit. If the fungal growth gets too much this immediate profit potential could drop as low as 15-20%. Either way though this is aimed as a long term investment rental portfolio, so these potential profits mean very little and it's all about not wasting several £100k sorting this out when it doesn't need to be done.

My choices are currently:
1) Ignore it. It will almost definately become a problem by the time I can get in there and activate the neccasary trained and kitted out workforce.
2) Play nice. Go in before the sale is finalised with the current owners permission. This bears the risk of potentially losing the initial outlay if the sale falls through (hopefully very slim).
3) Attempt to share resposiblity. The lawyers will get involved, delaying the sale process. The fungal process would undoubtably be worse by the time this is sorted and it becomes a big problem for both of us. Or even worse, a bigger problem for just me if an agreement of co-operation can't be reached.
4) Pull out of the sale completely.

I have a contractor in there right now looking at the problem and will give me a cost based on 2) above.
The lawyers meanwhile are going through the process with the current owners. There is a small chance they will see this as a risk the sale will fall through and effect their sale value to a future buyer, so may sort it out.

It's a waiting game right now.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Dunno how things are in the UK, but mold here in the US can be very costly to remove. And if you find out that is wasn't removed, you have a health hazard and it could expose you to liability. A deal like this would need ample cushion to absorb the risk.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Dunno how things are in the UK, but mold here in the US can be very costly to remove. And if you find out that is wasn't removed, you have a health hazard and it could expose you to liability. A deal like this would need ample cushion to absorb the risk.

Also, here in the US the sellers MUST disclose this problem to any new buyers ! :shruggie:

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
Similar laws here Cat Man Du, this was a new problem post the original sale agreement but before contracts were signed. It was a grey area and could easily have decended into lawyers delaying the sale further and creating a bigger problem than needed.

Anyway, I am hoping it's all sorted now. Between myself, the current owners, the lawyers and the contractors we have a verbal agreement that is being drawn up as I speak. They are essentially hiring my contractors to remove the material, and paying the bill upfront. I have agreed to reimburse them once the contracts are finally signed. It will cost me no more than ripping out the plaster boards I would have to remove anyway as the mold isn't at a critical state yet. This removes any risk on my behalf, and removes their risk of a huge problem should the sale fall through.

Lesson of the week. Don't assume anything, and don't listen to lawyers who like a good fight too much. A bit of give and take is looking to solve this problem, reducing everybody's risk, rather than decending it into a legal battle and making everyone unhappy with the turnout. All credit to the current owner, it was his idea, and my lawyers are drawing up the papers so there are no hidden dangers.

I will be so relieved when that courier knocks on the door. Last thing I wanted was for this to fall through as I've spent a few months doing this deal and there is nothing worse than wasted time.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Lesson of the week. Don't assume anything, and don't listen to lawyers who like a good fight too much. A bit of give and take is looking to solve this problem, reducing everybody's risk, rather than decending it into a legal battle and making everyone unhappy with the turnout.

This should be the " QUOTE" of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fastlane:

Thraken

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 26, 2010
Thank you for sharing your story. It's funny all of the different things that you can find being thrown at you in life. Keep up your good attitude and you will be able to go even farther than you already have.

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
A quick update.

All was resolved, the sale has been finalised for the apartments and I am now officially £5,400,000 poorer. My contractors removed all the offending material, and the old owner has already been reimbursed for his part in the process. Am very happy with the overall outcome and a potential disaster was narrowly averted.

Contractors are due in next Monday, a week behind my original optimistic schedule. Work on the roof starts ASAP now the weather is getting better. Most of the apartments will have all remaining plasterboard, kitchen/bathroom fixtures and wiring ripped out. Plumbing is generally okay and will be upgraded where necessary.

Feelers are now being put out onto the market to ascertain final rental prices and attract the first set of tenants.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.