The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Subscription web sites

fairbjosh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 29, 2010
I wanted your guys opinion on starting a subscription web site. The only expenses would be software domain and time at least what i can come up with. Would this be a wise thing to start up to get cash flow going? And what things should i watch out for and look for to start one up, is anybody have one or ran a successfull one. Any advice would help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wanted your guys opinion on starting a subscription web site. The only expenses would be software domain and time at least what i can come up with. Would this be a wise thing to start up to get cash flow going? And what things should i watch out for and look for to start one up, is anybody have one or ran a successfull one. Any advice would help.

So let me get this straight; the basis/foundation for your query is the appeal of the subscription based revenue model and your personal motivation for creating cash flow? You've got things totally backwards therefore any answer pertaining to the question becomes irrelevant. Money can't be chased on a wheelless car.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I think what Fairbjosh has discovered is the beauty of the subscription-based business model. I think it's great that he's at least looking at different business models in order to get on the Fastlane; but now he just needs to formulate how he can solve a problem in an industry, using that business model.

Someone posted this link the other day, it deals with the "how-to" process of finding a problem in an industry to fulfill; hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction Fairbjosh.

Chapter 2 - The Innovator's Sourcebook

Hey, and welcome to the Fastlane Forum!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but now he just needs to formulate how he can solve a problem in an industry, using that business model.

Bingo, the need comes before the business model.

PS: sorry fairbjosh, I didn't mean to sound abrasive.

fairbjosh

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 29, 2010
No apology needed kwerner answered the question basically. I know i need to solve a problem or come up with a niche in a market to make money. I was basically asking is subscription based market a good thing to get in it might of came out different typing it instead of saying it though. Me and my bus. partner have been brainstorming and are also having a mastermind meeting this saturday to come up with more ideas, i was just seing if we are going in the right direction for getting in the fastlane

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Why do you have a business partner without a business?

My advice is to cut that off immediately. You partner based on needs, not on being buddies with someone.

I have mixed feelings on that comment.

I had a business partner based on being buddies. It was pretty decent at first. It allowed the creative side of things evolve and grow in a direction they just wouldn't have gone had it only been myself. That is good.

However... It got to the point where I was the only one doing anything, the project stopped (Actually, I would go so far as to say slid backwards) and it was retarded.

So from my experience, it's easy for buddy based partnerships to go very wrong, but when they're going good the combined energy definitely has a powerful effect.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
However... It got to the point where I was the only one doing anything, the project stopped (Actually, I would go so far as to say slid backwards) and it was retarded.

Right, if they were an employee you fire them. If they're a partner you give them half your income.

This is coming from someone who doesn't mind partnering at all. I partner currently and am partnering on other start ups. It's definitely not the right play to partner with someone for the purpose of having a partner. You hire out those kind of people if you're the one with the idea/knowledge of the market. If someone else has specific knowledge of a market you want to get into, and you have an idea that can capitalize on their knowledge of the market, great. Or, vice-versa. You don't partner based on generic skills. You hire that out.

If you are the one who will make things happen, it's rarely going to be the correct play to partner with someone. If you are not going to make things happen, it's always going to be the correct play to partner.

A good rule of thumb is this- don't partner based on people that can be replaced. Partner based on people that cannot be replaced.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
was basically asking is subscription based market a good thing to get in

I'd say this model is the best Fastlane venue out there, assuming your need is solid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.