The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stuff like this has always bothered me.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
This picture was on CNN today. These people have the energy to make signs and go to a protest but just imagine what they could do if they would all pool their resources and start some kind of business instead. There are all kinds of low cost, profitable businesses they could get into but it just doesn't occur to them. I've seen stuff like this my entire life and it has always bugged me. If you can't find a job, make one! Seriously, they could all get out their lawnmowers and mow lawns or go out and wash windows or clean carpets or something. It might not be Fastlane but these don't seem like Fastlane types anyway.

View attachment 2295

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
It doesn't bother me. It just means less competition and more potential employees to choose from.

That's true but I just can't imagine wanting a job when you could have so much more. I just don't understand that mindset.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Seriously, they could all get out their lawnmowers and mow lawns or go out and wash windows or clean carpets or something.

You know, I had a conversation with someone about this subject just the other day.

I think pride stands in peoples way; they're too important / too good / too busy to do this type of work, even though it would get them started in the right direction or at the very least be able to put some money in their pocket.

But people have to WANT to change, you can't make them.

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
If everyone complaining that there's no work were to do businesses like mow lawns, wash windows, or clean carpets, there would be a huge glutt of these types of services. The employees of these types of businesses don't get paid much as it is.

I'm sure if some of them thought of a fastlane business opportunity, some of them would go do it.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
If everyone complaining that there's no work were to do businesses like mow lawns, wash windows, or clean carpets, there would be a huge glutt of these types of services. The employees of these types of businesses don't get paid much as it is.

I'm sure if some of them thought of a fastlane business opportunity, some of them would go do it.

Those were just examples, they could do anything, it almost wouldn't matter. All I meant was that if some of those people would work together, they could probably come up with some kind of business to start. There are people who go unemployed for years and starting their own business doesn't even occur to them. It's sad, really but they're handicapped by an employee mentality.

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
Since when is it the government's job to create jobs for people?

Their job is to create a free/fair environment in which private citizens can build industry, wealth flows from that.

These guys could be protesting onerous taxes, low import tariffs on Chinese goods or restrictive business regulations but instead they're like, "hey I want to work."

It's like watching some dude standing on a diving board with a sign that says "I Want to Swim."

I feel like there should be a guy in that photo with a sign that says, "I Want a Ferrari".

Not that I'm not sympathetic to people who find themselves without a job unexpectedly (been there myself plenty of times in the past) but what do they really want?

Anytime the government says they are "creating jobs" you can be assured that for every 500k of taxpayer money required we might see a 30k per year paper-pushing position appear- not to mention it often comes with the added burden on legitimate businesses of meeting some new amorphous "regulation".

D

DeletedUser394

It all comes down to the problem of entitlement.

The majority of the population feels that they DESERVE to have high paying jobs, for little other reason then that they are American citizens who think that the government should take care of them... because they pay taxes after all right?

Wrong. To quote Mark Twain "The world owes you nothing, it was here first."

If you want something bad enough, there are hundreds of ways to get it, but it's up to the individual to take the action necessary to make it.

Like others have said, there are PLENTY of labour positions available... thousand more low paying jobs are available.

I personally don't care whether unemployment is at 0%, or 15%, because I end up paying the same amount of taxes regardless.

Of course I'd prefer 0% unemployment, because then there would be less need for taxes as EVERYONE would be contributing to the system (instead of leeching from it), but the system is just too complex, and nothing is likely to change any time soon, which is why I don't care what these people choose to do with their lives.

I would love to see an increase in (or an introduction) of Consumption Tax and higher import tariffs on low quality products from abroad. (High quality products are a non-issue)

That way more people will have more money saved up (or even less material crap), and jobs will come back to America, as it will no longer become economically viable for other countries to export their low quality mass-produced toxin laden garbage.

America then regains more of it's independence and influence (because they wouldn't be so reliant of foreign countries, and we can all sing Kumbayah in the streets.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There was a time when you were paid in accordance to your value to society. Now people seem to feel that by simply existing, they are entitled to a job, a great 401K, paid vacations, benefits -- all for just "being" -- ring up the Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" song ... then tie this in with the demonization of business and corporations, the very thing that is the lifeblood to job creation -- it is the prelude to the destruction of this country unless things turn around soon.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
There was a time when you were paid in accordance to your value to society. Now people seem to feel that by simply existing, they are entitled to a job, a great 401K, paid vacations, benefits -- all for just "being" -- ring up the Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" song ... then tie this in with the demonization of business and corporations, the very thing that is the lifeblood to job creation -- it is the prelude to the destruction of this country unless things turn around soon.

It's tough for people, because from about 4\5yo through college we're always handed a list of things to do to "succeed". Just knowing how to do something we're told we'll be good in the work environment. It's never about gaining knowledge that we can apply to an unsolved problem.

I don't want to defend the entitlement feeling, but it should definitely be understandable why it's tough for people to adjust after being brainwashed to work in a different type of society.

Before machines automating things we could just follow a book\list to get paid. Now we actually have to be able to apply knowledge, and do it when everyone isn't looking.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine

You mean the government doesn't owe me a free cell phone for losing my job? Man what is this country coming to? We actually have to stand in line for hours just to get gov. assistance when not too long ago you just walked in and you were greeted at the counter. Country is falling apart. :smx4:

John Rogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 29, 2010
Washington State, USA
It all comes down to the problem of entitlement.

Now people seem to feel that by simply existing, they are entitled to a job

Really, I think that is the root of the problem, which also ties directly into laziness. I don't think the majority of the population is cut out for running a "business" even in its simplest form, but that doesn't stop them from doing stuff such as

Rake the leaves in the fall. Shovel the snow in the winter. Walk dogs. etc etc

Even when I was unable to find a "job" I have always been able to sustain myself doing something, be it mowing lawns, cutting firewood, whatever. People get so accustomed to having it easy that they can't motivate themselves to get up off their asses and go find work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.