The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Student Credit Cards

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Hey everyone,

I'll be attending The University of Georgia this fall (not a question about that) and I plan on taking out loans to pay for it, as well as some scholarship $ i have (Use debt as an asset. Going to use all resources and people possible, etc.) and I was wondering if I should take out a student credit card with no annual fee, use it to pay for gas (2% cash back with Discover), pay it off immediately in order to build up credit. What are thoughts on credit cards, especially those designed for students?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Does this have anything to do with entrepreneurship/startups? Wrong section dude.

Anyway, what is the question exactly? If you're able to get approved for a card, go for it. If not, you're going to have to look at getting a secured card.

There is no negative to this if you have self control.

Hope you're not getting an Arts degree.

Good luck.

JDM

The Lock Man
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
Australia
Get a credit card with a very low limit and pay it off immediately to build credit. Beyond this, don't touch credit cards unless there are exceptional circumstances (buying inventory for a business as a short term play etc).

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
take out a student credit card with no annual fee, use it to pay for gas (2% cash back with Discover), pay it off immediately in order to build up credit
If that is your plan and you have the self control to stick to it, there is no reason not to.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Thanks all. I def have the self control to do it. Gonna start looking at my best options.

Also yeah, I'm majoring in Poetry. What's wrong with that?

lol jk I'm double majoring in Computer Science & Finance.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Do you have a credit history? If you have no history at all Discover will most likely reject you for any card, even the student card. You might be better off going with a card from your current bank or a local bank to start.

It doesn't hurt your score too much to try, just make sure if you don't get it that you know you will get the second one you apply for. More than two hard inquiries will really start to add up.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I've got no credit history, I've only just turned 18. Thanks, I'll def make sure I have a realistic shot to get one before I apply.

D

DeletedUser394

Realistically you're going to probably have to get a secured card.

Your second best bet is to get a card through your bank, assuming you've been a customer for a while. That's how I got my first card.

If you have any kind of job or income, that'll help a bunch.

Capital One will also give cards to just about anyone (they gave me one lmao), so there's that.

Got my first card around 2-3 years ago. My sixth card is in the mail now. No idea why I was able to open so many accounts so quickly, but eh, not complaining.

Good luck. Please update when something happens.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Sure. I'll look at student cards through my bank and also Capital One. I'll have a federal work study job this fall, so I may have to wait until then. #1 priority is no annual fee.

DBDude

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 21, 2015
I've been using Discover for about 3-4 years now. They were the only one to let me get a credit card as a student with no prior credit history. No annual fee and 5% back adds up to a nice $10-20 back just for using their card. They currently have a promo if you refer a friend we both get $50. If your interested let me know I can send you the referral link :)

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

Any luck getting a card?

Just got my 7th today (wtf), so it can't be that difficult to get credit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.