The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stuck? Change Your Environment!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I know this has been said over and over again, but I am experiencing it again right now. 10 years ago I moved from Chicago to Arizona and the change in my life was dramatic. After 10 years, I got used to living in sunny Arizona that the environment is not as productive as it once was.

This summer, to avoid the Arizona heat I decided to lease a condo in Crested Butte Colorado, which is a mountain biking mecca in the USA. What I did not realize was how productive it would be to live here in terms of work.

I brought a table and my desktop with 2 monitors. I have it set up next to a window which has views of the majestic mountains here. I have gotten so much work done here. And I think it is due to a few things:

1) I don't know anybody here, except my friend who is also here with me.
2) My workstation is next to an open window, fresh mountain air blows in all day and my view is great. I don't mind sitting here all day.
3) We both wake up, turn on our computers and get our morning work done. She also has an online ecommerce store.
4) We make a daily morning mountain bike ride. This is our workout and we are so tired afterwards that we just stay home. We ride every day and had to force ourselves to take a rest day because our legs are so sore.
5) We work on our businesses all afternoon and night. There's nothing else to do in this town except mountain bike. All restaurants and gas stations close at 8:30pm. We have wanted to go see the movie Edge of Tomorrow for two weeks now, but it's not even playing within a 3 hour drive from us.

I did not expect to get much work done here, but it has turned out to be the opposite. It just shows you what a change in environment can do for you. We have a daily routine and it certainly helps when there are no distractions. Maybe all some of you need is to move to a small po-dunk town with nothing going on.

My office
10169450_10203545205606627_7280412428945804651_n.jpg

5 minute hike outside of the condo
10390198_10203590199451445_1385969463084524079_n.jpg

Our daily workout ride
10394867_10203632572430743_8418824113790770764_n.jpg

I can't believe I'm living here!
10445444_10203609821181976_7239168595483341339_n.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
I did something similar a year ago. Although I love Toronto, my environment was stagnant - job opportunities were weak, and my friends were simply not moving forward in their lives. Everything felt slow and stagnant, even though I loved my social life there. So I made the call to move to Hong Kong, and I don't regret it in the least.

I haven't left my friends behind - we're still in close touch and I visit home every so often. But it feels good to be meeting new people, people who are here for a specific reason to do something interesting with their lives.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
You're killing me! I miss Colorado, Arizona, and Utah so much; can't wait to get back.

Kaizen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 30, 2014
Biophase,

Great pics and story. Not that you need any validation, but I'm in Phoenix this weekend and it's bloody hot...

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Great advise - i too was stuck in a stagnant situation. Had reached a plateau at work, everyone seemed to be happy to be settled in the situation / city we were in. Everything looking forward just seemed bleak. So I quite my job, jumped on a plane with a couple thousand $$ to the other side of the world and never looked back. Everyone said I was crazy... don't really speak to anyone at home now. Best thing i ever did.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Very beautiful photographs. I believe this is truth. :) Since I've been in the Netherlands and driving through the lowlands and Germany I've gotten great ideas. So yes, changing things up makes a difference on every level. :)

Zorro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 18, 2013
great post

been living in a vibrant party city for some time now and will move to a new boring /dark/grey "city" /huge village soon.

was really hard to make this decision but I had to do it cause business is playing way way better in the new location

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I love it! I moved to Prescott AZ a number of years ago. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the mountains. I think I was able to find most of them.

After a while I got bored with the small town though. I personally need the city. Someday I am going to get a cabin in the mountains though.

What a beautiful place you are at!

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
Nice post! Every time I see pictures from friends who have moved to Colorado I think to myself "What the hell am I doing living in ....Iowa?!". Beautiful place.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Beautiful picture. gasp!

I agree. The best thing to do is change your environment, including the people you surround yourself with. There is something else you can do, granted it's not as easy or effective, but if you are stuck and you feel you can't change your environment then you need to change what's going on inside. I believe the external environment allows for the proper changes inside you to take hold. I believe it's all about what is going on inside you.

So, #2 would be to change your habits. Just as changing your environment provides the rich ingredients for internal change, I believe that changing your habits will also help change you. Imagine who you want to become, focus intently on what the actions and habits of that ideal person are, and then implement them.

:tiphat:

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
A previous business partner and I looked closely at a few local CB business to buy a few years ago. That was before I was introduced to TMF . It's only a few hours drive from where we live.

My friend was so impressed with the landscape, he bought a cabin outside of Gunnison and took it off-grid recently.

You should do the overnighter hike from CB to Aspen.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My month in CB is over, it was great productivity wise and mountain biking wise. Eating wise, not so good, only a few restaurants to choose from and I don't cook. Probably going to do this every year in the summer!

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I know this has been said over and over again, but I am experiencing it again right now. 10 years ago I moved from Chicago to Arizona and the change in my life was dramatic. After 10 years, I got used to living in sunny Arizona that the environment is not as productive as it once was.

This summer, to avoid the Arizona heat I decided to lease a condo in Crested Butte Colorado, which is a mountain biking mecca in the USA. What I did not realize was how productive it would be to live here in terms of work.

I brought a table and my desktop with 2 monitors. I have it set up next to a window which has views of the majestic mountains here. I have gotten so much work done here. And I think it is due to a few things:

1) I don't know anybody here, except my friend who is also here with me.
2) My workstation is next to an open window, fresh mountain air blows in all day and my view is great. I don't mind sitting here all day.
3) We both wake up, turn on our computers and get our morning work done. She also has an online ecommerce store.
4) We make a daily morning mountain bike ride. This is our workout and we are so tired afterwards that we just stay home. We ride every day and had to force ourselves to take a rest day because our legs are so sore.
5) We work on our businesses all afternoon and night. There's nothing else to do in this town except mountain bike. All restaurants and gas stations close at 8:30pm. We have wanted to go see the movie Edge of Tomorrow for two weeks now, but it's not even playing within a 3 hour drive from us.

I did not expect to get much work done here, but it has turned out to be the opposite. It just shows you what a change in environment can do for you. We have a daily routine and it certainly helps when there are no distractions. Maybe all some of you need is to move to a small po-dunk town with nothing going on.

My office
View attachment 7643

5 minute hike outside of the condo
View attachment 7644

Our daily workout ride
View attachment 7645

I can't believe I'm living here!
View attachment 7646

This seems like such an amazing job, I so wish i had the guts to do this. My business doesnt allow me too, but I know soon I will have to do this and take some time off.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Damn, it's as if you are telling my story. I moved to Andorra with a friend (my wife) for the mountain biking, hiking and skiing. I have a desk with a nice monitor next to the window that I use as a whiteboard with the mountains as a backdrop. Gotta love the outdoors as a way to clear the mind!

X2uINWy.jpg

13671834_673296416158587_456445827_n.jpg

Fortune5ive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 24, 2017
New Jersey
I did something similar a year ago. Although I love Toronto, my environment was stagnant - job opportunities were weak, and my friends were simply not moving forward in their lives. Everything felt slow and stagnant, even though I loved my social life there. So I made the call to move to Hong Kong, and I don't regret it in the least.

I haven't left my friends behind - we're still in close touch and I visit home every so often. But it feels good to be meeting new people, people who are here for a specific reason to do something interesting with their lives.

Hong Kong is amazing. Energy level similar to NYC with a mix of old/new culture. The level of professionalism and refinement is superb. Great frontier to explore. Many heavy-hitters trek there. Plenty of money to be made there, as well. Good luck.

motosnipe

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 20, 2016
Pennsylvania
Absolutely beautiful!

This seems to be the one thing I would like to change, but I know it won't be for quite some time. I live out in the woods of Dingmans Ferry, PA...quiet, great schools for my kids, but absolutely nothing here. Quite a bit of local businesses, but an equal amount that have gone out of business for the lack of traffic and population.

I've been around the world when in the Navy, but have never been across the country. Born and raised in NY, lived in Virginia Beach for 7 years for the Military, then moved here. I would absolutely love to move out west, would just have to figure it all out with the wife and kids haha.

Great view though OP, very tranquil.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Probably going to do this every year in the summer!

You wrote this exactly 4 years ago. It took you just 2 years from there to do it.

Funny how this forum has chronicled so much of what you have said, and then, eventually done.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You wrote this exactly 4 years ago. It took you just 2 years from there to do it.

Funny how this forum has chronicled so much of what you have said, and then, eventually done.

Thanks MJ. It’s all about taking action right? And you need to come and visit!

Photos from today’s paddle boarding activities and my office view now.

C878E96F-125D-4565-AA59-DE75CF29B2E6.jpeg 7107A0FC-88CE-48B1-8853-EC66701BE4F0.jpeg 237F071A-C795-4E80-A6E5-FEACC5E0EC5C.jpeg

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Robert Mundane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2018
THATS AMAZING! I feel the same way, getting outside and changing where your working definitely helps you double down on productivity.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
@biophase I am so happy for you! I read literally every day one of your subforums here (along with Unscripted hehehe). The funny things is that I can do it too in terms of housing, we have a winter house in the mountains 2hrs away from Athens and we go there 2-3 times a year with wife and kid. The thing is the system: you have build it, it is decentralised (i like this word) and you can work from literally anywhere in the world! You have done all the process, you planted a tree (actually woods hehehe) and now you are watering them while you can also be far away! Needless to say; Great job biophase! :D

ds_groundupbiz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 9, 2018
Houston, TX
Very inspirational! I have been taking more trips to switch up my environment but ultimately I still end up in my home town with the same crowd. Maybe I should consider making a physical move but I am a bit hesitant to not have any connections in a new area. Still I can applaud you, thank you for this motivation.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
I am happy to see you doing great @biophase.! Have a great time! :smile2:;):smile:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.