The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stories from the Cubes

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I loved MJ's post on dead-end jobs, but the jobs that were dead-end in my life are the ones I remember most fondly! The jobs that really sucked for me were all in the cubicles.. Anyone else relate to this?

- My final year at UNR, I worked for the local public utility. For a lot of reasons, they were really hated in Reno. In fact, there were death threats, bomb threats, etc.. all the time. So, they put the interns in the cubes that were right next to the windows. We had fantastic views of the Sierra Nevada and were the targets in case anyone decided to start shooting. The higher up you were in the organization, the closer you were to the inside, until you reached the very top...and were locked away in a middle space with no windows.

- After graduation I went to work at a large CPA firm. At the time you needed to intern 2 years at a public accounting company in order to get your CPA certificate. Boy, did they know it! You were the lowest paid employee at the company and worked 80+ hours mandatory per week...with no overtime. There were probably 40 of us in the cubes in the area where I was. When the afternoon doldrums came, we played Final Jeopardy! Someone would come up with an obscure trivia question, a couple (or more) people would compete and then everyone would hum the Final Jeopardy theme song loudly. If we had a winner, we'd all throw the little dots you get from 2 hole punches at them! (Thereby creating a dead-end sh** job for someone else...in retrospect)

Anyone else have a story from the cubes?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
not really one that involved other coworkers lol. but the best story I have is from my cubicle days was when I was doing telemarketing for ins to cc customers.

I called this one house and asked for the name on the screen. this lady says no thats my son. hes deceased. I said oh Im so sorry I will have his name removed from our calling list.

she said thats ok hun did you want to leave a message?

I could not get off the phone fast enough and had to go on break because me and the people around me I told were all laughing soo hard we were disturbing the other people around us LMAO>>>

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
me and the people around me I told were all laughing soo hard

I completely fail to see the humor here.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
the lady wanted me to leave a message for her dead son!

how is he gonna get it??

I dnt think even if I did leave the message he would be interested in life or heath insurance!

idk maybe you had to be there trust me it was funny!

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Just thought of another story (hard to believe I spent 3 years in the cubes...)

At the CPA firm we had this "secret code" for talking to the senior accountants. "Noted" meant eff you. Everybody knew it. The senior accountants had all done it when they were juniors like us. There were a few senior accountants who loved to make you look like a fool in front of a partner, so we'd just sweetly smile and say, "Noted." One real jerk would just turn bright red every time...and the partners tried not to laugh..because they all knew what it meant too.

Geez...can you believe how much time and energy got wasted on that passive aggressive behavior?

By the way, now you all know what I mean when I say, "Noted."

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Never had a cube job, when I was in college & work study job in the library, my job was to inventory the periodicals & prepare them for scanning into microfish (boy am I old). I was the only one who took a staple remover & a razor knife so I could seperate the pages quickly. Everyone else would work for 3 hours on the box they were given, I worked for 1 hour & studied the rest of the time. I tried to tell them how to do it, and they would not spend th $2.00 for the tools. This was the last time I had a job working with people who don't want to see the way.
Another story: they were trying to hire a person to do data entry for the book keeping department. The minium requirement was a GED. A friend had an assoicates degree in book keeping & no job. She thought she would apply for this entry level job and it might lead to a real book keeping job. When she went into apply, the receptionist ask her if she had a GED, she said no, I have a high school diploma and an assoiciates degree. The receptionist said, you can't apply you have to have at least a GED. No amount of explaining would work, my friend left without the application.
Janet

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
When I first started out,
I had a piece of work boss.
He'd holler profanities at us across the floor
(telling one girl with a Harvard MBA
that she was so f***'ng stupid
every single day of the 10 months she worked there).

So every morning,
before he came in,
one of us would put a pamphlet on his desk.
Sometimes it would be for an anger management class
or a communications course
or for an embarrassing health issue.
Gave us a good chuckle.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Never did the cube thing either. ...However, one of the best dead-end jobs I ever had was working at der Weinerschitzel. I was 16 and it was the only place that would hire me with my grover blue hair (I thought I was cool). Anyhow, my boss was the ex-Navy guy in his 80s and had a weakness for punk rock kids- maybe he felt sorry for us, I don't know. Anyhow, there was this whole crew of freaks running the place, and late at night we would have this contest called "Who's the man". Being the "man" meant completing these insane dares that we'd all dream up. ...Eating various things that we'd deep fry, competing in Weinerschitzel olympics- which consisted of about 10 different games, one consisted of covering the bottoms of your shoes in lard from the frier and "skating" across the floor as fast as you could go, another sport was grill racing where we'd see who can make the most hamburgers in 3 minutes. Most every night I laughed so hard I cried. Best job any teenager could've had.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW67dIUqHCo"]YouTube - Cubism[/ame]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics