The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from the UK

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK
Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and thought i would introduce myself.

My name is Lee and i‘m 37. I have a good career in the Military and have served 16 years to date. Working my way up through the ranks, i have climbed the public sector ‘corporate ladder’ with a respectful salary and benefits to suit. By most ‘rat racer’s’ standard i have been relatively successful: Good salary, good ‘safe’ career, good pension and great travel opportunities. Whilst i have enjoyed my career and had the pleasure of working with some fantastic people and seeing some amazing (not so amazing) places, i have always had this, what I can only describe as a soft voice in the back of my mind constantly whispering to me. The whispering is what I would describe as a deep desire to be an entrepreneur build a life that I am proud of and which is bigger than myself.

This may sound a little odd so please bare with me. Whilst someone may look at my comments as me being a dreampreneur, I view the entrepreneur life and fast lane not as destination but as an unknown and exciting path which I desire to travel. To be honest, my career, work status and financial status has provided me with comfort and would continue to provide me with a level of comfort for many years if I wanted it…. Like the rat race, I am winning a small Pete of cheese at the end of each week and month.However, the thought of that comfort fills me with fear. What drives me on now is the fear of not realising my potential and ‘what could have been’. A longing with, lying on my death bed with regrets knowing I had it in me to follow my dreams but through fear choose to take the easy route.

I am not one of those people who are desperate to leave a hate filled job, find millions in the least amount of effort and then sit on a beach retired for the rest of my days… That life style doesn’t interest me at all. My job is rewarding (to an extant) and variable. Just know deep down that I have a greater purpose in life.

What excites me and motivates me is building something (I don’t know what yet), which I build with my own bare hands, hard work and dedication and which I can look back on and be proud of.

As life goes on this whispering and calling is becoming louder and louder and in recent years has led me to reading MJ’s books. I’ve now come to a point where I want to take further action and really give it my all with creating my dream.

I’ve not always sat on the side line in the rat race. I have had some success in recent years with side hustles and have brought property in the UK which has (and continues to) turn a profit albeit, it isn’t millions…. Yet. I have also had a set back in a residential letting (rental) business which me and a friend built to an annual turnover of £144’000 in a year. Whilst the turnover was good, costs spiralled and the business was wound down. Many lessons learnt along with a bruised ego!

What this failure hasn’t done is dampened down my spirit. Don’t get me wrong, when times were hard I had many depressing thoughts: ‘maybe business life isn’t for me’ and ‘maybe it’s easier to just work 9-5 and get paid with not much stress’ and ‘Netflix is much more fun than wadding through more problems at this hour!’, however, as much as these thoughts ran through my head, the end goal hasn’t hanged… if anything, it has given me a taste of what can be achieved with some effort..… and I want more!

Anyway, I’m rambling on. I hope my introduction gives you an insight to my rambling head and crazy ways! I plan on sticking around the forum for a long time and I hope to build some great connections and friendships with like minded people. Would love to hear from any of you if you have some spare time to talk.

Kind regards

Lee

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro Lee, well articulated. If you can succeed a Slowlane, you can succeed a Fastlane. I think they are both equally as tough... one just leads to wealth, the other to comfort and/or mediocrity.

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Awesome intro Lee, well articulated. If you can succeed a Slowlane, you can succeed a Fastlane. I think they are both equally as tough... one just leads to wealth, the other to comfort and/or mediocrity.
This gives me hope @MJ DeMarco but sometimes I just wish I had the age (and the level of responsibilites) of when I started pursuing the Slowlane. Fastlane feels very daunting. I just hope I find may way through it. I'm taking baby steps and avoid inertia but damn, it's hard. I'm taking the steps, I have an ideia and I will test the market. But I cannot help to think I am crazy at times. How do I dare?

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK
Hi MJ,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and your kind words. I truly appreciate that. I 100% agree! I don’t want to live the mediocre and Comdt Abel life anymore!

Thank you again.

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK
This gives me hope @MJ DeMarco but sometimes I just wish I had the age (and the level of responsibilites) of when I started pursuing the Slowlane. Fastlane feels very daunting. I just hope I find may way through it. I'm taking baby steps and avoid inertia but damn, it's hard. I'm taking the steps, I have an ideia and I will test the market. But I cannot help to think I am crazy at times. How do I dare?
Hi Fmvpinho,

I also share the same thoughts.

You are defiantly not crazy that is for sure. What is crazy is sitting back and not trying and then regretting that you never did try. That’s how I’ve come to frame my thinking.

You will find a way.

Hope you are keeping well.

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Hi Fmvpinho,

I also share the same thoughts.

You are defiantly not crazy that is for sure. What is crazy is sitting back and not trying and then regretting that you never did try. That’s how I’ve come to frame my thinking.

You will find a way.

Hope you are keeping well.
Hi Lee,

Thank you for the kind words.
Your introduction ressonated with me.
I am also 37 with a god job, nice benefits, nice people, a boss that leaves me alone and trusts the work Mortgage paid in 5 years. My husband and I also tried real estate as a form to earn passive income and not depend so much on salary but there is so much you can loan to invest...

I think we should ckeck in a year to see the ways that we have found for ourselves!

Thank you again, take care and a lot of success!

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Nice to meet you mate, welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around, there's plenty of gold to be found.

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK
Nice to meet you mate, welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around, there's plenty of gold to be found.
Hi Speeny,

Good to meet you. Hope you are well? Thank you. Look forward to contributing and learning to the forum.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi Speeny,

Good to meet you. Hope you are well? Thank you. Look forward to contributing and learning to the forum.
Never been better. Not in the place I want to be, but I can see the direction I'm going.

Yes certainly, a really good post is this one. There's always something to contribute, even a journey.

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK
Never been better. Not in the place I want to be, but I can see the direction I'm going.

Yes certainly, a really good post is this one. There's always something to contribute, even a journey.
I was just reading that as you replied. Fantastic post.

That’s great to hear. I am also not in the place i want to be but are on the right path.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my intro :)

liam_francis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jan 4, 2023
Ireland
Hi Lee,

I just joined the forum but your story resonated with me. I'm 35 and work in the tech sector in Dublin.

I've done reasonably well, have a good salary and could probably coast along like this but deep down my soul craves for more adventure. I'm also wary of being too comfortable and putting all my eggs into the basket of corporate employment, where the tide can turn vary quickly.

I hope to learn a lot from your story and others like you.
Liam

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK
Hi Lee,

I just joined the forum but your story resonated with me. I'm 35 and work in the tech sector in Dublin.

I've done reasonably well, have a good salary and could probably coast along like this but deep down my soul craves for more adventure. I'm also wary of being too comfortable and putting all my eggs into the basket of corporate employment, where the tide can turn vary quickly.

I hope to learn a lot from your story and others like you.
Liam

Thank you.

I’m hoping to share my story on here as i progress. Make sure you do the same.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...