The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop Getting Fat During Quarantine: The Easiest 30 Day Challenge

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
CHALLENGE STARTS APRIL 27TH. GET A KITCHEN SCALE.

After quarantine started, I jumped from 14% body fat to 18%.

Eating whatever I wanted. Moving around less. Eating "healthy" but too much... the list goes on.

But it's not just me. From looking at Instagram, talking to friends, talking to family, it seems like a problem that's happening for a lot of people. And here's the wakeup call that I had which a lot of you probably should have: When your country opens back up, it won't be easier to cut fat, it'll be harder. People will be flooding to restaurants, bars, etc. Healthy eating will go out the window. All that time you have now to workout? You won't have that time when you have to sit 40 hours at work, 10 hours in traffic, 30+ hours hanging out with your friends. The time to take control of your health is now. Not later "when things go back to normal". It's now.

So that's why I'm making this thread. An extremely easy 30 day challenge for anyone that wants to be a part of it and more conscious of your health. Here's the super easy challenge that for a lot of you will put you back on the right track.

1. Download a calorie/nutrition counting app.

Here's the one that I use: MyFitnessPal | MyFitnessPal.com. It's free.

Here's what that looks like:

The app allows you to track how much protein, carbs, etc. you're eating.

Most importantly it tracks how many calories you're eating. This is all info that no one ever pays attention to.

2. Buy a kitchen scale to start weighing all your food so you know what you're eating.

Here's a link: Amazon.com : kitchen scale. It costs only like $20. Start weighing everything you're eating and you'll know exactly what you're putting into your body. You need metrics.

Here's the scale I use. It's $16.99.

But buy whichever one works for you.

3. Start counting what you're putting into your body. Weigh everything.

View: https://youtu.be/7vGzibcZD5o?t=99

Here's a link to a Youtuber I admire that explains simply why this is important. Skim through the video.

You don't know what you're putting into your body even if you think you do. Start monitoring it. Start taking control of your life.

4. Track your weight or whatever you consider important each week.

... And that's it.

No diet changes. No workout routines. The challenge is simply = become cognizant of what you're shoveling into your face.

Once you become cognizant of your metrics, you'll start making the changes you want to see.

Want less weight? Ok. Look at the metrics. Look at what you eat, and make the adjustments you need.

Not strong enough in the gym? Ok. Start tracking protein, if you're eating enough, if you had enough carbs to make that run, etc.

The second you start knowing what you're eating is the second that you'll be able to make the correct changes to come out of quarantine without regrets.

Best of luck.

P.s. If anyone wants support, we can do that in this thread - but for the most part it's straightforward. Everyone has their own goals. Define them, and then implement the numbers you need to execute on your goals.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Yeah I'm about to hit 300 lbs for the first time. Been in quarantine for 6 weeks already. I only go outside once a week to buy groceries. Since quarantine stared I've been outside a total of six times. I need to change. I'm going to do a thirty day fasting challenge.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Side topic:

Someone asked me which body fat monitor I use.

I was headed to Amazon to send them a link. Just realized that the price on these shot up to a couple hundred dollars during quarantine. Could be a good side hustle for someone interested.

$$$$$ Hustle opportunities everywhere .$$$$

"I had a test done years back and the cheap body fat monitor you can buy on Amazon was fairly accurate, so I just use that.

It's only like 90% accurate. For some people it's really off for some reason.

But it sets a good baseline so you can see which direction you're headed in. If you use a monitor and one week it says 15%, then you make changes and next month it says 14%, then what you're doing is probably working."

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
I'm feeling it as well, I'm up to 28% bodyfat at the moment, 238 lbs.
I'll aim to get below 230 in the next 30 days, should put me down to 25%

Here's a bodyfat calculator for anyone interested.

Phikey

Fortune favours the bold.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
Great thread and very important.
Healthy body = healthy mind.
After a few weeks of no exercise and eating everything I saw I started slipping. I'd gained a bit of fat and I knew that if this thing goes on for a few months then a lot of people will put on a lot of weight. All that time in front of Netflix and a lot of take away meals... recipe for a disaster.

You've gotta do the best with what you have and diet is by far the most important part of it. Just by tracking your calories and eating in a caloric deficit will make you lose weight.

I put up a "wanted to buy" ad on Facebook Marketplace and within a few days I managed to get someone's full home gym for $300. Power rack with bench for bench press, dumbbells, barbells, gym mats for the floor. Everything I need to keep up a good routine.
I properly planned out my diet with my macros and everything. I've always done it 70% before but never given it my all. We might have a number of months with this thing so I might as well put my head down and come out the end with some progress.

It's been 1 week and already I'm feeling much better. Really keen to see what I can do in 3-6 months. That's a lot of time to make a massive change in yourself. Especially if in lockdown and the distractions are less. You can set a clear goal, work towards it and make some major change.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It's hard to say with water weight but I guess I gained at the very least 4-5 pounds these last couple of weeks. Usually I exercise outdoors so much that I can eat a lot without any issues. In fact, I was at my lowest weight ever prior to the lockdown. Now that I can only exercise indoors (which I heavily dislike) it's been tough with all the emotional eating.

Last week, when I went to the supermarket after not being able to shop for almost two weeks, I bought some candy in bulk. I most definitely shouldn't have bought it because I've been eating it every day ever since.

Today I decided I'm done.

I placed all the candy in a bag and wrote my girlfriend's name on it to make it clear I can't eat it. She's fine eating a little every day; I need to abstain completely to be in control. There were also a few candy bars left—I placed them in a kitchen drawer I never open. As they say, out of sight, out of mind lol.

I asked my landlord if he has a spare kitchen scale. If not, I'll buy one. I have many years of experience weighing food and tracking calories so I can also eyeball things but at this point I need more precision to get back on track. I might also consider a full day fast; we'll see.

Thanks for starting this thread, @AgainstAllOdds.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Shit I've been losing weight over here getting skinny... need weights ASAP

Abel Xavier Roy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2019
CHALLENGE STARTS APRIL 27TH. GET A KITCHEN SCALE.

After quarantine started, I jumped from 14% body fat to 18%.

Eating whatever I wanted. Moving around less. Eating "healthy" but too much... the list goes on.

But it's not just me. From looking at Instagram, talking to friends, talking to family, it seems like a problem that's happening for a lot of people. And here's the wakeup call that I had which a lot of you probably should have: When your country opens back up, it won't be easier to cut fat, it'll be harder. People will be flooding to restaurants, bars, etc. Healthy eating will go out the window. All that time you have now to workout? You won't have that time when you have to sit 40 hours at work, 10 hours in traffic, 30+ hours hanging out with your friends. The time to take control of your health is now. Not later "when things go back to normal". It's now.

So that's why I'm making this thread. An extremely easy 30 day challenge for anyone that wants to be a part of it and more conscious of your health. Here's the super easy challenge that for a lot of you will put you back on the right track.

1. Download a calorie/nutrition counting app.

Here's the one that I use: MyFitnessPal | MyFitnessPal.com. It's free.

Here's what that looks like:

View attachment 32437

View attachment 32440

View attachment 32441

View attachment 32442

The app allows you to track how much protein, carbs, etc. you're eating.

Most importantly it tracks how many calories you're eating. This is all info that no one ever pays attention to.

2. Buy a kitchen scale to start weighing all your food so you know what you're eating.

Here's a link: Amazon.com : kitchen scale. It costs only like $20. Start weighing everything you're eating and you'll know exactly what you're putting into your body. You need metrics.

View attachment 32446

Here's the scale I use. It's $16.99.

But buy whichever one works for you.

3. Start counting what you're putting into your body. Weigh everything.

View: https://youtu.be/7vGzibcZD5o?t=99

Here's a link to a Youtuber I admire that explains simply why this is important. Skim through the video.

You don't know what you're putting into your body even if you think you do. Start monitoring it. Start taking control of your life.

4. Track your weight or whatever you consider important each week.

... And that's it.

No diet changes. No workout routines. The challenge is simply = become cognizant of what you're shoveling into your face.

Once you become cognizant of your metrics, you'll start making the changes you want to see.

Want less weight? Ok. Look at the metrics. Look at what you eat, and make the adjustments you need.

Not strong enough in the gym? Ok. Start tracking protein, if you're eating enough, if you had enough carbs to make that run, etc.

The second you start knowing what you're eating is the second that you'll be able to make the correct changes to come out of quarantine without regrets.

Best of luck.

P.s. If anyone wants support, we can do that in this thread - but for the most part it's straightforward. Everyone has their own goals. Define them, and then implement the numbers you need to execute on your goals.
Yes, a nice step-by-step method.

But to get stronger, progressive training can be done. And since we're all in lockdown bodyweight exercises are great.

I'm building strength by progressive training and by doing slow negatives.

Abel Xavier Roy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah I'm about to hit 300 lbs for the first time. Been in quarantine for 6 weeks already. I only go outside once a week to buy groceries. Since quarantine stared I've been outside a total of six times. I need to change. I'm going to do a thirty day fasting challenge.

Why would you fast? You don't need to fast.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Are you in USA not allowed to make sports outdoors?
As here in Germany I should not meet friends and talk and drink and hang around, I don t domuch than working, running, rock climbing, mount biking.
When I wouldn’t eat good, I would loose weight inform of muscles And loose strongness and endurance.

I wouldn’t let me forbid making sports.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Great thread.

Definitely more inspiring than another "watch me lose XX lbs" action fake thread.

I went from 9-10 workouts/week to 3 very small ones in my apartment. Went from about 3300 kcal to about 2000 kcal, so I don't gain weight at all. In the long term I might lose muscle, but it's easier to get that back than to get rid of body fat.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Why would you fast? You don't need to fast.
I do OMAD to increase mental productivity during the day. I only eat after I'm done working for the day. I fast around 22 hours each day and eat for 2

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
First day of tracking and 3 pounds gone already. Obviously this is mostly water weight but still, good to be back in control.

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
I lost over 110lbs using a very similar method to this, except that my macros were more low carb, high protein.

Technically a 'Ketogenic' diet, but not in the traditional sense with the high-fat type that they use for treating epilepsy, etc.

Essentially, I cut out crappy carbs, nearly all sugar, and prioritized satiating high-protein meats with healthy vegetables.

Some of my best tips would be:
Look up intermittent fasting, and chose a time that will suit you. This gives you an 'eating window' of 8 hours in a day. Trust me, it's great.
Don't drink calories.
Use diet soda if you need a sweet fix.
Get used to black coffee and flavored teas, they're nearly all zero-calories.
Use sugar-free Jello and things for a snack, you can have a big bowl for next to no calories.
Get the exercise that you can.
Ensure that you track EVERYTHING that enters your mouth. No snacking here and there and saying 'oh, it was only a small bit.' Once you've done this 20+ times a day, it adds up FAST.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Great thread.

Does anyone else have the opposite problem? I’m naturally kinda skinny and can’t seem to keep on weight.

I’ve dropped from 78kg to 73! It’s been really hard to keep on muscle mass working out from home. Been doing my best but just can’t seem to gain back any weight.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Great thread.

Does anyone else have the opposite problem? I’m naturally kinda skinny and can’t seem to keep on weight.

I’ve dropped from 78kg to 73! It’s been really hard to keep on muscle mass working out from home. Been doing my best but just can’t seem to gain back any weight.

I think this thread will be a great deal of help.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Timely thread. I told my mum this morning that I’ve put on a pound a week in the last six weeks. I dropped seven pounds earlier this year purely from intermittent fasting for a month. I stopped the IF as I figured I’d rather have a bit more weight to lose if I got ill (an old wives tale I’m sure). Anyway, I won’t count calories but I planned on starting the IF this Monday anyway.

Current weight 12 stone 5 pounds (173 pounds). For reference I’m 5’10”.

@Fox ... I’m naturally skinny in the shoulders. I’ll be hitting the weights for upper body this next few weeks. I’ll quite quickly get back to where I used to be when I was regularly weight training. (Does muscle actually have memory?). I don’t know what impact that will have on the scales so I won’t get too hung up on the numbers.

BTW: I’d never done IF before. I just had an eating window of 12:00 till 18:00 and drank water outside of that. It was super simple and I dropped from 173 pounds down to 166 pounds in a month (although that’s probably a bit light for me.)

EDIT: This has just inspired me to go throw some weights about.

Last edited:

Abel Xavier Roy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2019
I do OMAD to increase mental productivity during the day. I only eat after I'm done working for the day. I fast around 22 hours each day and eat for 2
Why would you do that if you want to gain weight?

Abel Xavier Roy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2019
Great thread.

You gotta eat in a caloric surplus. And workout to grow muscles.

Abel Xavier Roy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2019
Timely thread. I told my mum this morning that I’ve put on a pound a week in the last six weeks. I had dropped that six pounds earlier this year purely from intermittent fasting for a month. I stopped the IF as I figured I’d rather have a bit more weight to lose if I got ill (an old wives tale I’m sure). Anyway, I won’t count calories but I planned on starting the IF this Monday anyway.

Current weight 12 stone 5 pounds (173 pounds). For reference I’m 5’10”.

@Fox ... I’m naturally skinny in the shoulders. I’ll be hitting the weights for upper body this next few weeks. I’ll quite quickly get back to where I used to be when I was regularly weight training. (Does muscle actually have memory?). I don’t know what impact that will have on the scales so I won’t get too hung up on the numbers.

BTW: I’d never done IF before. I just had an eating window of 12:00 till 18:00 and drank water outside of that. It was super simple and I dropped from 12 stone 5 pounds (173 pounds) down to 11 stone 12 pounds (168 pounds) in a month (although that’s probably a bit light for me.)

Yes, once you get in shape and then you later lose it, it's easier to get back into.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Great thread.

I'd say that's the hardest and even impossible right now to keep your full muscle mass, unless you can invest in your own home gym with heavy weights. Neither calisthenics nor resistance bands will cover this.

I'm not training my legs (but also slight knee injury from too much guard pulling big bois in BJJ), but try to keep up with any calisthenic exercise I can do.

Also slight injury in 3 of my fingers from my grip (spider guard, de la riva, lapel grip etc), so gonna start taping up and train more no gi as soon as I start again.

And I'll start yoga. At home with YT. Not for creeping in yoga classes like basically every dude there.

Last edited:

Abel Xavier Roy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 18, 2019
I'd say that's the hardest and even impossible right now to keep your full muscle mass, unless you can invest in your own home gym with heavy weights. Neither calisthenics nor resistance bands will cover this.

I'm not training my legs (but also slight knee injury from too much guard pulling big bois in BJJ), but try to keep up with any calisthenic exercise I can do.

Also slight injury in 3 of my fingers from my grip (spider guard, de la riva, lapel grip etc), so gonna start taping up and train more no gi as soon as I start again.

And I'll start yoga. At home with YT. Not for creeping in yoga classes.
Bodyweight is as good as weight training if done properly. It can help with muscle mass

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Bodyweight is as good as weight training if done properly. It can help with muscle mass

In a sense, I agree. And it's more natural and healthy, so probably better long term.

On the other hand, you'll never reach with body weight what you can do with lose weights. Especially if you have a hard time gaining and keeping muscle mass, it might be a slippery slope.

For that reason I do a mix of both.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I'll be damned if I put my weight back on. ;) Running on a highway with no cars is creepy though.

ZZqQ87N.jpeg

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Why would you do that if you want to gain weight?

Because me having a clear mind, and being able to work with sharp focus all day is worth far more to me than "gaining weight."

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Not counting calories but I use the good old mirror to see if I'm getting fat or not and adjust diet + exercise regimen as needed.

Keep it simple and has never failed me.

Current schedule.

Monday.

Back + legs with weights. 11:30am.

Yoga 2:00 pm 20 minutes

Yoga 9:30pm 20 minutes

Tuesday.
Yoga and skipping 3:00pm 30 minutes

Wednesday.
Variation of different bodyweight squats 11:30 am

Don't have a machine at home.

Yoga 1:30 pm 20 minutes

Yoga 9:30 pm 20 minutes
Thursday
Shoulders + biceps + triceps

Friday

Rest day

Saturday

Yoga 12:30 pm 45 minutes.
5:00 pm Skipping and running 20 minutes

Sunday

Yoga 9:00 pm 25 minutes

Yoga is manly as F*ck and the benefits are insane, I know it's good to be big but these days I like my frame being a decent amount of muscle but having Mobility and flexibility is more of an importance to me these days.

Any BJJ players if you are not doing yoga to improve your game and come back to the mats and being a nightmare to deal with your doing it wrong.

Give yourself some longevity!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
fasting may help but you’ll lose motivation fast. Create a caloric deficit while eating full. Best strategy.
I did IF for a month and it required barely any motivation or discipline. I started again on Monday and didn’t skip a beat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.